main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mod!Challenge Fanfic Olympics - Round Three results and the Winners of the Fanfic Olympics are...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Ladies and Gentlemen.

It is my honour to begin what will hopefully be the start of a legacy of fanfic writers competing, pushing each-other towards excellence, and creating friendships. I, Briannakin, am here today with my fellow fan fiction moderators; mavjade, Mira_Jade, and NYCitygurl to announce the opening of the first ever JediCouncil Forum Fan Fiction Olympics!

A few weeks ago we polled everyone to see what people’s opinions of this challenge idea were. The positive replies were limited, but enthusiastic. So we decided to go ahead with these games, but have a much more scaled down version so that we as mods, and you as users, can see how this may work in a larger scale. There will be two teams: one representing Star Wars Fan Fiction, and the other representing Non-Star Wars Fan Fiction. These two teams will complete for points in only three “events”. The team with the most points at the end will win.

THE EVENTS:

WEEK 1 - September 6-12: Drabble Marathon. This will be an individual event. Everyone will get the same set of drabble prompts and the goal will to be to write as many 100-word drabbles as you can.
    1st place will win 100 points, 2nd - 75 points, 3rd - 50 points.

WEEK 2 September 13-19: Dare Challenge. This will be an individual event. We will be posting a “dare” at the beginning of the week and the responses will have to be posted by the end of the week. Readers will then vote on their favourite from September 20th-25th.
    1st place will win 100 points, 2nd - 75 points, 3rd - 50 points.

WEEK 3 September 20-26th: Alternate Ending Challenge. This is a team event - therefore team members will work together and each team will only post 1 response. Each team will get a movie (the SW team will get a SW movie and the NSW will get a popular movie most people will have seen, or can easily watch online) and the team must write an alternate ending for the movie. There will be 1 winner decided by a panel of moderators from different areas of the boards and the winning team will be awarded 100 points.

Precise rules will follow, so please save your questions regarding specifics until then. Please note, not EVERY team member have to participated in both individual events, but we highly encourage it.

PRIZES:

Members of the winning team will get colors for 1 week! (We, know, not very creative, but we were stumped as to what to offer for prizes).

Sign ups will last from August 18-30th and final team lists will be posted in this thread on September 3rd. Please post here to sign up specify what team you would like to be on. Since we only have 2 teams and we would like to keep these teams (fairly) equal, if you don’t mind being on either team, please say so. Also, if you want to participate but wouldn’t be heart-broken if you don’t get put on a team, thus not being a participant, indicate so. We would appreciate it. We will try to put everyone on a team.

Chyntuck and Admiral Volshe like this.
  2. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Fantastic!!!!!

I would love to be a part of this. I'd really prefer SWFF, but NSWFF would be okay too! :)

Chyntuck and Briannakin like this.
  3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Signing up for the SWFF team [face_dancing] but I won't be heartbroken if you don't need me in there.

4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I am going to just sit and cheer for those who can actually write drabbles. Or, if there are still going to be judges, a jury or whatever, I'd be up for it.

Chyntuck likes this.
  5. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Throwing my hat in the ring. Preferably the Star Wars ring, but if it misses and lands in the NSWFF ring instead, that's okay too.

Chyntuck likes this.
  6. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Oh dear. I shouldn't. I really, really shouldn't. ... But I will. :D

Sign me up, please. Either team will do, and if I'm not picked, well, that's never stopped me from having fun before. :)

Chyntuck likes this.
  7. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I'd like to sign-up for the NSWFF team, or I can also do SWFF. :) But I won't be heart-broken if I'm not put on a team.

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Woohoo! We're really excited for this :D

9. Moonspun Dragon

Moonspun Dragon Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2011
    I would like to be on the NSWFF team, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if I couldn't be placed on the team. :p

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  10. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    I'm starting to get the impression that use of the term heart-broken is mandatory in this thread. Maybe I should go edit my post . . . :p

Briannakin and Chyntuck like this.
  11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Hey, no one ever said you had to be able to spell for this job :p

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Woot, sign me up for the NSW side, please. [face_dancing] Looks like the SW side is full-up already @};-

13. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I kind of want to do this.

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    If you want to, please confirm and state what your preference, if any, for your team.

15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Briannakin - Can you respond to my question from earlier? About the rules and volunteering and blabla. I really think the four of you could use one or two non-mods for this.

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I didn't see your question. We will of course need voters for event #2.

17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I just don't like the idea of only the mods being judges. There should be at least one outsider, like there is the vote counting person at the awards. People who have applied so far write in a broad range of genres and styles. Also, if the first event is about quantity and not quality, it's a bit silly. Anybody can pull out a bunch of nonsense 100-word pieces out of...well, there. The whole attempt seems kind of...half-hearted. :( And it was supposed to be fun.

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    First off, we wanted a range of different styles of events, thus why one is "won" by a word count, one by reader votes, and one by mods voting. And hey, if you don't trust your fanfic mods to be impartial, I'm slightly offended for myself and for the others, however, you are entitled to your opinion and you don't have to participate. But none of us running this are voting. The "judges" are a group of other volunteer mods that are excited to get a taste of fanfic, and we haven't even announced who they are. We did this to cut down on any potential drama. We are not opposed to volunteers, but we all agreed that in this case, it would be too much work to set up what they would need to do, particularly when there are 4 of us for this.

Secondly, this is a complete experiment. We've had mod challenges that were COMPLETE failures (just ask anyone who was around the Clue incident) and others have been great successes. We honestly don't know how things are going to turn out until there is a trial run - and plenty of users will wait and see how the first round goes and participate if it is run again - that's why we warn people. Sure some people might try to cheat the system and put random jabber down for the drabbles - I'd like to think most people here are in this for the fun - but if they do, we will know for next time.

There seems to be many people who still think this will be fun and are willing to be our 'guinea pigs' for this challenge. Try not to bring down their fun.

19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Random mods as volunteers? Will we get to know who they are?

I will save the rest of what I typed out for the next state of fanfic thread, apart from this: Satine has come a long way and she was warned/sanctioned/humiliated twice in the last seven days for no reason. There were different possible ways to address her here.

20. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    They will be announced when it's time for the challenge and the guest judges will be complete set.

This is for fun, it's not for anything other than that, it's not something that needs to be taken with the seriousness of the awards. There have been challenges in the past with just a numbers thing, it's silly, but that's the point. Having a short amount of time to write a lot of words makes for silly, but sometimes brilliant things and people have seemed to enjoy it. If you don't find these type of challenges fun, you don't have to participate.

As for things with other people, we won't be discussing them with you as we don't discuss other users. We especially won't be discussing it in a thread that has nothing to do with whatever the situation might be. As always, if you have an issue you are free to PM one of us, or an admin if you feel more comfortable, which is the same for anyone. That topic will stop with this message unless you would like to PM as I stated above.

Nyota's Heart and Chyntuck like this.
  21. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    I'll play too. No worries for which team.

mavjade and Nyota's Heart like this.
  22. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014

I want to do Star Wars team

23. Admiral Drabblar

Admiral Drabblar Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 2, 2014
    I'll join. Non-SW, of course.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  24. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    If you still need volunteers... doesn't matter which team I'm on. :)

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sorry DaenaBenjen42 - Sign ups closed yesterday (though I forgot to post) and it's looking like the teams are nicely even with 5 each already.

Someone will be posting the final team lists sometime soon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.