main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource FanFic Orientation Guide - Newbies Check In Here! - Interview with a Moderator, Part Ace!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jaya Solo, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enheduanna

Enheduanna Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2005
    Miana, in answer to your question, NOOOOOOO. I shot that story idea down, because it was too horrible. Instead, it planted the idea in my mind for the story I'm currently working on.

2. C3P0_R2D2

C3P0_R2D2 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2005
    I got my siggy from what a friend told me. I was all depressed one day, and my friend knows my SW and cookie obsessian(I know I spelled that wrong) and he walked up to me and goes 'Come to the Darkside. We have cookies.' I don't know where he got it, but it cheered me up.

*beats head against wall*

I'm an Orientation Leader. I lurked on the boards w/o a user name for about 2 years.

*looks at posts again*

Thanks Jes, I'll keep that in mind.

Oldjedinurse, I have this to say: RUN AWAY!!!!!

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Ooops. Sorry 3P0. [face_blush]

4. C3P0_R2D2

Jan 23, 2005
    'Sokay. I'm kinda a newbie, but really not...

That doesn't make sense to me, so I doubt that makes sense to anyone else.

5. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    Sorry, 3PO, I'm not running! Newbies, Oldbies, Younglings ... its fun here. ;)

Mari

6. pokey1984

pokey1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2004
    Hi. I guess I'm a recovering Newbie.

I joined because I am a hopeless fanfiction fan (Oh, and a Star Wars fan, can't forget that) but became slightly overwhelmed and ran away in fear. *winces at her own foolishness*

After months of lurking occasionally I finally realized how nice everyone was here and actually signed in.

Just to keep everything in reverse order, My favourite stories are mostly set during or right after the Saga, but I like other stories too.

And, my name is Pokey1984, but sometimes people (My family) refer to me as Diane. I've seen at least one other Diane around here who writes way better than me, though, so you can all just stick with Pokey1984 if you want to.

I posted in the other Newbie thread, but I think it dropped quite a ways doen now.

7. C3P0_R2D2

Jan 23, 2005
    *yells from next state over*(as you can tell, I'm in the U.S.)

[faint voice]No, I was running away![/faint voice]

8. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    Welcome, everyone!!!! Hopefully from here you'll all go on to amazing careers on the boards of your choice!!!

I'm a youngling, too... (What is a youngling? 14 and below? I guess I'm a youngling... :p) But don't worry. I don't bite, much....

9. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Welcome Pokey !

10. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Pokey We Dianes should stick together...LOL. I don't think they would confuse the Dianes on the board if you called yourself Diane but Pokey is more interesting a name! :D. Besides, in college, we had 3 Dianes on the dorm floor so we all had to take different nicknames!

11. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Name: dianethx. Yes, my real name is Diane ? not very inventive but there you are.

Age: 54 ? old in years but young at heart. Does that count? I've been around the boards for a few years but I'm not really an old oldbie or a new newbie but somewhere in the middle. 8-}

Board(s) you post to the most: Before the Saga and The Saga

Types of stories you read/write: I love angst - a lot! Hurt/comfort, humor, some romance. Heck, I like most stories as long as they are well-crafted.

Characters you read/write the most: Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi are my two favorites. I could never get a handle on writing Luke [face_love] or I would?
    Reading, I love Jedi stories from Before the Saga, Luke/Han/Leia stories from The Saga. I don't read much in the Beyond area (although I've read all the NJO books ? more than once).

Advice on how to get involved in the community: Join a social club or two in the Resource board. I'd read a few of the threads first and then pick the ones that you feel most comfortable with. Even if you don't always get what they are talking about all the time ? no one does! They may be silly or having fun or doing serious discussions of character but join in. They won't bite! And we are always looking for new blood! :D
    Leave comments on the stories you like. You can go into depth about what you liked about the story but even a "good job" or "nice story" goes a long way. All authors want feedback!!!
    If you have a particular question about writing, I'd choose a writer whose style and genre you like and ask them. Most authors would be glad to help!

One piece of advice you?d like to give newbies: So, you are new and nervous about it. Don't be! Everyone was a newbie at one time. I'm still finding out things about these boards even after almost 3 years on them. Don't be afraid to ask! Really! And relax about being new. We do understand!

And I know this is more than one piece of advice but, if you are going to post for the first time, try and get a beta or someone to read your story ahead of time for grammar, spelling and plot ? and listen to what they have to say. People pay more attention to stories that follow the basic rules of writing.
    Also don't expect a lot of replies on your first stories. I remember my first one got 3 replies (it's still one of my favorites, too). Be patient and persistent. Your hard work will pay off in time.

Good luck and welcome!

12. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    Don't run, 3PO! :( I'll stop teasing!

Mari

13. C3P0_R2D2

Jan 23, 2005
    Welcome Pokey!!!

And oldjedinurse, you gotta promise not to wear the white suit. My friend said she called them and now I'm afraid of the color white in/on clothes. Especially if it's a suit.

White suits are scary!!!!
    [face_worried] :p [face_laugh] :D

14. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Welcome, Pokey!! :D

15. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    Name: Real life? Jennifer. Or Jennie. But it's usually Jennie.

What kind of stories you're interested in: Well, let's see... Anakin/Vader's one of my favorite characters and I just recently decided that I loved the A/P ship. Luke and Leia are probably my favorite OT characters and I like Han too. I've been staying in the Saga- but pretty much everything there is game to me. I don't read a lot of OC fics, but sometimes I will. Same with other characters that I don't usually read that often. Basically, I'll usually try most of everything.

Why you joined the boards: A friend mentioned TheForce.net once and once when I was looking for more SW fan fic, but had already gone through fanfiction.net, I decided to try here too. And found the boards. As to why I joined up/ registered- I always do, if I tend to frequent a board. And once I have something to say, I start posting. And you can't shut me up. No, kidding. But yeah- I joined because I liked the stories here and I wanted to start posting. Except that for two weeks I kept on forgetting to change my password from some form of goobledegook to something that I can actually remember... But once I did, I started to post.

16. pokey1984

pokey1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2004
    You're right, Diane we do have to stick together. :)

I'm rather fond of the name Diane, myself, but Pokey describes me better. (I earned the nickname playing volley ball in JR high.)

So I answer to either of those, "Hey You" or the name of pretty much anyone my grandmother has ever met. :)

This is a really great thread, BTW. I don't think I said that earler. It does a good job of compiling all the other stuff that's kinda scattered and confusing.

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Welcome Alethia or usually Jennie. :D It's nice to have someone not afraid to talk. Wasn't me when I first got to the boards. LOL!

Pokey, I agree about this being a great thread.

18. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Pokey I also respond to hoverchair hag (don't ask), and hey you. LOL.

And it is a great thread. I hope that it will be especially helpful to new people. When I first came on the boards, I hadn't a clue! And in some things, I still don't. :p

19. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    It's nice to have someone not afraid to talk. Wasn't me when I first got to the boards. LOL

Thanks. Yeah- I'm not exactly what you would call shy. At least not on the internet. THough it did take me two weeks to actually register, and part of that was a bit of hesitation to being new... but after I registered and fixed my password, I hopped right in and started to review. Writing will have to come later, however, when I actually have the time to actually write a fic. School and my health at the moment are killing me...

20. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Welcome to pokey and Alethia And all the other new people! Looking forward to seeing you guys around!

21. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    3PO - No white suit, I promise :) ... friends?

Now I have to stop "spamming" this thread ;) and get back to writing, then hopefully becoming an Adoptee (now that I understand the concept) and posting a story!

I'll be watching for more advice!

Mari

22. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Welcome, Alethia! :)

Totally sympathize with you on the school issue. Finals are in 2 weeks! ACK!

23. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    Totally sympathize with you on the school issue. Finals are in 2 weeks! ACK!

Really? Good luck to you then. And thanks for the welcome. School wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't been alternating between one week sick and one week healthy these last five weeks- and didn't need to make up tons of school work and projects. But things should be getting better in two weeks- when you have your finals. Hope you do well on them.

24. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Thanks for your words of encouragement. I hope you get better in return! :)

25. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Welcome, Diane, Diane, and Aletheia! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.