Resource FanFic Orientation Guide - Newbies Check In Here! - Interview with a Moderator, Part Ace!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jaya Solo, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Jaya Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Welcome to our new posters. Remember, if you get an idea for a topic, please PM me with it. :)
  2. SabyneAmberle Force Ghost

star 3
    Name: SabyneAmberle

What kind of stories you're interested in: Little of Everything, though for simplicity's sake I'm focusing just on Before the Saga right now.

Why you joined the boards: I love Star Wars, why else? Quickie version of a funny story. My dad likes to tell of when my older sis and I were sick when we were very young. We couldn't sleep, so the three of us watched Star Wars and Dumbo all that night.

I was all of two or so. Yep, I've been a fan from the very start. :D
  3. tangled_sphere Jedi Master

star 4
    Name: tangled_sphere, just a strange phase I'm going through :p

Board(s) Before and the Saga

Types of stories you read/write: Love angst and adventure!

Characters you read/write the most: Obi-Wan/ Dooku/ Xanatos/ Qui

Advice on getting fics noticed:

Definitely try some of the challenges! I have found some of my favorite writers that way, by getting hooked on their vignettes.

Treasure the readers you get. I would say reply to everyone who has taken the time to read your work.

Find someone to help you with your writing. I asked someone to beta read for me and it helped immensely with my story and my confidence.

Find a Master. This was a lot of fun and opened up my horizons. I actually fell in love with my Master's fic she was currently working on!

Read other works and get hooked! I have found some wonderful friends by reading and talking about the fics that are being written. And its fun to harrass them once in a while to update :p

Have patience, your fic will land in the right audience's hands after awhile who have the same interests as you. ;)

4. Jesina_Dreis Jedi Master

star 4
  5. Layren Force Ghost

star 5
    Let me extend a hearty welcome to SabyneAmberle Glad to have you!
  6. SabyneAmberle Force Ghost

star 3
    Thank you, thank you...and thank you again! (as I'm so fond of saying) I'm happy to be here, and happier still to be getting some great comments from people regarding my writings!
  7. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Welcome SabyneAmberle... Awww.. cute story about watching SW and Dumbo.
  8. SabyneAmberle Force Ghost

star 3
    Yeah, it's one of Dad's favorite memories to tease me and my sis with.

But I got him back! The Christmas I was 15, I gave him a 12" figure of Darth Vader. He still has it, too, though it's a bit dusty. Mom used to tease him by telling him he could act out the stories and do the breathing and everything with it!
  9. C3P0_R2D2 Force Ghost

star 2
    Sorry, I forgotted to post. Between trying to read a 100 something page fic, school, and writing my own fic *points at bottom line in sig, then remembers that she couldn't get the link right* ^_^;

Oops...

Oh well, welcome all people that came while I was gone.

And to get your fic noticed, read other peoples fic. If you do, they're more likely to read your fic. That seems to be how I got most of my readers.[face_shrug]

And I'm doing this for the fun.

Edit because I can't spell oops right.
  10. oldjedinurse Jedi Master

star 4
    Hello again, Newbies and Oldbies!

Wanted to let you know that this Newbie followed a lot of the advice from this thread, and your suggestions have helped me find much-needed confidence!

From my experiences of the last few days, I definitely agree/suggest:

[face_idea]

* Don't be afraid to post
    * Read and comment on lots of other fics
    * Participate in threads like this one
    * Try a challenge
    * Link your story to an index, if possible

And the one major thing I need to start working on:

* Find a Master who will adopt you!

I can't thank all of the "Oldbies" in this thread enough for helping me overcome my lurker shyness! And Special Thanks to Jaya Solo for starting this.

Looking forward to more interesting discussions.

ojn (Mari)

P.S. Welcome and Good Luck to all of my fellow Newbies! [face_good_luck]

11. Draconarius Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, I'm a newbie. As much as I hate to admit it.

In any case, my name is Ben, and I'm 16. I'd rather you use my user name, though (Draco for short. I like dragons).
    Kind of Stories, huh? Hmmmm. Anything to do with Star Wars, pretty much. Mostly action/adventure.
    And, why I joined? Because I liked the stories here and wanted to be able to reply, and I wanted to post my own. Great site, by the way!
  12. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    Welcome, Draco! :D Feel free to ask any questions that you might have!
  13. Earthknight Jedi Master

star 4
    Hello everyone :) ! As you all know I'm new to writing fanfiction. I'm hoping my story will get noticed eventually. But so far I just love writing fanfiction. It's now my number 1 favorite hobby. It's cool. I'm also hoping to get to know alot of fellow fanfiction authors around here and become buddies :D .

My name- On the boards I'm Earthknight. Although if anyone wants to use my nickname it's Just.

Stories I like to read- I like to read all sorts of fanfiction stories set in the Beyond the Saga era action, adventure, mystery, AU, and sometimes romance( especially if it involves my favorite character Jagged Fel getting with Jaina). But mainly I love the action adventure stories.

Age- I'm 17.

One thing for sure though. I don't think I'm going to write as good as some of you exceptional fanfiction authors. Because you all write some very good top notch stories. Just to let you all know, you're all really talented.
  14. Alethia Force Ghost

star 5
    Welcome to all of you that have posted this last week or so.

I don't think I'm going to write as good as some of you exceptional fanfiction authors.

Earthknight, please don't say that. I mean that you're not going to write that well. Because it's probably not true. I'll admit that there are stonger and wearker writers here on this board and there are some exceptional ones here. But don't put yourself down. You probably write just fine. From experience in other fandoms (since in fan fiction, I'm a way oldbie), let me tell you to just write and worry about the supposed quality later. It's perfectly all right to be worried about something when you've never done it before, but don't put yourself down. Please don't. Have some confidence. I'm sure you're a fine writer and don't worry about the talents of anyone else on the board- just your own. Everyone writes differently and has their own style. It's impossible to say who's a better author- it's all opinion. So just post your fic and don't worry about how it might compare to someone else's.

And I agree with ojin and all the other oldbies here who tell you just to start posting. Do it. Read a fic and write a short review, just to get your feet wet. The authors, for one, love feedback and if you review something continuously and be friendly, chances are you're going to make friends. And you'll get involved in interesting discussions. Don't be afraid- just jump in. I'm a relatively new newbie (been here about three weeks) and I got an account and just started reviewing. No need to be scared.

As for posting fics- don't have any experience with that here yet. I've been too busy to start on any fics that I want to write. But following everyone else's advice of just jumping in and entering challenges and stuff should work- I've seen it work on other boards, I highly doubt that here is much different...
  15. oldjedinurse Jedi Master

star 4
    You're right, Alethia, and welcome!

Earthknight don't be so hard on yourself! You've jumped in, now you just have to keep at it. People are friendly here... :)

You may feel better when the right person comes along to be your Master. Have confidence!

Have you posted in the "Adopt-a-Newbie" thread? Good place to find a Master!

ojn
  16. Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm something of an oldbie newbie (i.e. I've been around on the boards for a while but have only been posting fanfiction for the past month). ;) I've found this thread to be really interesting and informative so I thought I'd join in. :)

Name: just call me LJC ;)

Types of stories you read/write: I prefer J/TK stories but will keep my eyes open for YJK related as well as vignettes of other favorite EU characters (i.e. Wedge Antilles, Wraiths, etc). I am working on a J/TK story (which also has Zekk) called "Finding Your Way".

Board(s) you post to the most: Beyond the Saga, Fan Fiction Resource

Why you joined the fanfiction boards: Well, I've been wanting to try my hand at writing a fanfic for a while now. But as Yoda says, "Do. Or not. There is no try," so I kept putting it off until sometime late January/early February this year plot bunnies multiplied in my head like mad :eek:. I saw the Obi-Wan challenge and decided if I had the time I would write an entry. My class happened to get canceled that day (as if fate took a hand ;) :p) and I've been descending into the madness ever since (and enjoying every moment of it :D).

On getting noticed, hmm--

The biggest thing that I've noticed (as both a writer and a reader) is update frequently--not "upping" the thread but consistent story posting. I know that if I see the same fic on page one or two because the author keeps up with posting on a regular basis, curiousity eventually gets the better of me and I click on the post even if its not something I'd normally be looking for.

Also, have a balance between being confident and being humble. Be confident enough that you would keep posting your story because you like it even if no one responds. I am very thankful that we have three different boards for fanfiction because otherwise my fanfic would have gotten buried so fast [face_blush]. Be humble enough that when someone replies it is a treat and is not something you require to make a new post (reader feedback is greatly inspirational but it should not be the only motivation you have for posting). I've kept these two traits in mind as I've been working on my fanfic and I think they've helped me. :)

Lastly--challenges are your friend! Even if you don't think you did a very good job, you'll get feedback from other people who are participating/interested in the challenge. :D

I think that's enough rambling from me for today. [face_blush] :)
  17. Rosh_Penin Jedi Knight

star 2
    Thanks for the welcome, Healer Leona!
  18. Jaya Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Idrelle_Miocovani
    Rowan_Jade
    Rosh_Penin
    Ace_Venom
    SabyneAmberle
    Draconarius
    Earthknight
    Lady_Jedi_Carenix

And to add onto what was said before, it?s okay if you?re writing isn?t as good as someone else?s. My writing is constantly improving, as will yours! :)

This week?s topic: Challenges. Why should you write them? Do they get more notice than other new stories?
  19. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Ahhh, warms my heart to see more newbies daring to speak up.

Glad to see Draconis found his way here!

Earthknight, many of us write for the fun of it and find as we continue we also get better.

Lady_Jedi_Carenix , I think it's great that as a oldbie, you've discovered a desire to write as well.

Challenges.... ahhh. I will say I didn't do many in the past.. if any. In fact sadly, my writing had become pretty non-existent. Challenges have really changed that for me. I have been more inspired in the last two months then in the last two years and I attribute it all to the numerous challenges that have sprung up recently.

It's a wonderful surprise to get the soft niggling little bite from a bunny and find you can write even under pressure... I'm not saying well, just that something comes forth.

Give them a try... even if nothing strikes a spark at first, it's amazing how letting ideas roll around in your head can combust!
  20. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Challenges are fun :) I don't know that they ever get noticed more than other vignettes, but it's a good way to get into writing fanfiction. You might get some readers who also participated in the challenge, and a link to your story goes up somewhere :) It's a nice way to get a plot bunny if you're running low.
  21. oldjedinurse Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree, Grand Master Leona. [face_blush]

I posted my first little story to a challenge thread a couple of days ago. It was a great way to get a few readers and their feedback, I think because people read the challenge responses.

I believe its very hard to stop at every new story posted on the boards ... especially those written by a new author ... there are so many good writers and fics!

This past week's challenge has provided me with confidence. I have started several other stories, and found a Master, Aunt and Grand Master. ;)

If I can do it, so can you all!

No try, just do.

ojn

22. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    Challenges. Why should you write them? Do they get more notice than other new stories?

Challenges cause you to sometimes go out of your comfort zone and write something you normally wouldn't have written before. It's a good way to get noticed (usually by the others who are following the challenge), and it's a good way to expand your writing abilities. :D
  23. dianethx Force Ghost

star 6
    Challenges. Why should you write them? Do they get more notice than other new stories?

I have a love/hate relationship with challenges. :p

For a new person just coming on the boards, they are a great way to introduce yourself and get your stuff read. You get to see what other people are doing in the genre you are interested in and they comment on your stories as well. Plus the stories are usually fairly short so you don't spend weeks on a fic. The people reading the challenges are much more likely to read other things that you have written if they liked your story on the challenge. I've found lots of wonderful writers that way. As always, be sure and put a link to your other stories so that people can find them easily!
    So it's a real plus for new people to participate in challenges.

However, lately, I've only been doing challenges and one other long story so that I don't think I get as much feedback in the challenge fics as stories with their own thread. I think that the stories, once you are known, can get more attention outside the challenges.

So my suggestion to you is to mix it up. Do challenges first and then expand your horizons with stories outside the challenges.
  24. Shadowen Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Name: Shadowen.

Board(s) you post to the most: Games: RPG.

Types of stories you read/write: I try to write whatever comes to me. Someday, I'd like to write something I'll finish. As for reading, due to my style of reading--that is, "Hey, that's a good idea, I think I'll use that"--I try to avoid reading fanfic. Stealing stylistic tricks, plot points, and character concepts from published writers is bad enough; stealing from people who effetively lose money in writing what they did is really damn low.

Characters you read/write the most: 1) Jedi. 2) Pilots. 3) Original characters.

Advice on how to get involved in the community: Don't be afraid to post things that aren't complete. Praise or criticism, feedback can spur you on to write more. Hasn't helped me finish anything yet, but it has helped me write.

One piece of advice you?d like to give newbies: Unless you're new to the Internet, you aren't a newbie. Internet communities are largely the same wherever you go. When someone calls you a newbie, try and find out when they first started surfing. Could be they're the newbie, not you.
  25. pokey1984 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I've been writing for a while, but I'm new to the boards, and consequently new to challenges.

As a newbie, I have to say the Challenges are fun. I've done a couple now and am actively participating in the "Writers Race" which is way fun but has convinced me it's originator is both a genius and evil. (j/k on the last part, he's not evil, just his challenges are :) )

I really can't compare responses 'cause the only things I've posted here are for the challenges.

At any rate, my inexperienced advice is to try some challenges and see if you like it. I can see that all challenges aren't for everybody. Just give it a shot.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.