main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource FanFic Orientation Guide - Newbies Check In Here! - Interview with a Moderator, Part Ace!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Jaya Solo, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    There is a wonderful site that has 100 questions you should ask your character and see what they say. It started as a RPG site for character building/developing, but it's wonderful for fan fic and any other form of writing as well. Here's the link:

The 100 most important things to know about your character

And I totally agree with you- think out side the norm. You never know what you might come up with...

2. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    Jasa, don't worry about that. I didn't write for the longest time. I just read until about a year ago. :) There are some great stories out there. :)

3. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Welcome:

Jasa
    Princess_Arulmozhi
    MariahJSkywalker
    vegemite

Question for everyone, have any of the links changed in my link section? I think a few have? namely the A/T stuff.

This week?s topic is a good one: How do you get up the courage to post your first story?

4. Stars_Guitar

Stars_Guitar Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2005
    Post your first story hmmmm?

Well first of all, you hit Copy. Control + C on an IBM compatible...

No, seriosuly, I guess this is a big deal for alot of people. Just rember, everyone here has done the same thing at least once.

The great thing about the internet is that when you post something up, no one knows who you really are. Anything you post here stays here. You can be whoever you want, though I encourage being yourself.

So when posting the first story, if your scared that, hey, I don't think its that good, just remember, that we all have made mistakes, and we are not going to jump down your throat if you misspell or mistype, or misinterpet something. Post it, and get better with each story.
    Thats the way to get over that fear.

5. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    My first fic (still in progress even after a year) dealt with mainly OCs so I went all out for my first fic :)

6. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    It's kinda ironic, but I actually posted my first full-fledged story after adopting three padawans (and graduating one of them.) I wrote a viggie for a challenge, and it was a little scary to post that story just because I had never posted my own story. That in turn inspired my own first story, and I just posted my official second story. :)

Yeah... while it may be scary... just go ahead and post. I got two replies to my story right away, and I think people just like to start reading new stories and replying to them to keep you encouraged.

Hm... why don't you celebrate your first posting of a story in here whenever you do it! :)

7. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I closed my eyes and clicked on ENTER before I could change my mind. Now, of course, I cringe when I go back and read it. But hey, it was the first thing I had written in a decade! So, what did I expect?

Anyway, just take the plunge. The water's fine after that first jump...

8. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    It wasn't easy for me, lemme tell you. I had kicked around a couple ideas, but none seemed right for a first fic. Then I had an inspiration, which led to my first fic being posted. You can find it here

I've posted a couple since, but this one's still my favorite.

Let's hear it for first stories!

9. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Actually, my first story wasn't posted on the boards but I submitted it to the Archives and it was accepted! At the time I didn't know any better. But posting on the boards can be scary. I've got lots of stories on these boards and every time I go to hit post, my heart starts pounding and I get nervous, really nervous. I think "Will they like it? Will anyone read it? Is it garbage?" But you need to share your work!

If you are really hesitant about posting your first story, get a beta and/or a Master first. They will walk you through it all, help you with the rough patches and encourage you to try your wings!

We've all be through it. So go! Post!

10. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    I got the courage to post my first story when I responded to the Obi-Wan Beyond challenge. :) It was a situation where the plot bunny bit me and everyone was being welcomed to participate. [face_laugh] :) I ended up using that post as the first part to my now in-progress, rapidly becoming an epic fic. :)

But before that, I always had the feeling of "Well, should I really post this?" or "Shouldn't I work on this some more before posting it?" True, the same thoughts pop up in my head but I do feel more confident about posting now. :)

11. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    Haevn't posted anything Star Wars yet. Working on actually finishing the first chapter... so I can't post it yet.

But my first fic at all? I don't think I even remember...

No- I do. I think. It was a Harry Potter fic and I was fifteen, so three years ago. The two fics I had started before that were awful- reeking of Mary Sue, so I worked really hard on that one and posted it on fanfiction.net. I remember being a little nervous. I had been around fanfiction.net and the Harry Potter fandom for two years by then and so I knew my ins and outs and who's who. And of course I had aspirations of being someone Big- you know, names that are recognised immediately throughout the fandom and stuff. Didn't happen though- at least not with that fic.

I had a beta-reader, who was pretty encouraging and since I wasn't really new to then fandom, I just decided to bite the bit and post. Like others have said, on the interenet, it's all anonymous. I have so many different screen names, some with different ages and stories and so it's not like anyone would trace it back to me. So that makes it a bit easier.

I screwed up on that fic- ended up posting some of my Chemistry homework I had typed up in place of a big chunck of the fic. No idea how that happened, but I was mortified. I fixed it and everything was okay. I even got a few reviews, which really made my day.

Even now, with so many years under my belt in the fan fic world, I still hesitate sometimes when I press the 'post' or 'upload' button. There's always this underlying thought about 'what if they don't like it?' and stuff, but I get over it quickly. And it really is thrilling to see stuff that you've posted up on the internet, especially when you have a review or two.

My advice? Just post it. Close your eyes if you have to, but just click that little button. No one's going to bite and most people are nice to new authors.

I'll admit- I'm even a bit nervous myself, because this is a new fandom to post in for me- and one that I haven't been involved in for over three years, except for the last two months. But I just remind myself that hey, the worst thing that could happen is that someone doesn't like it. And since I don't know that person, then why should I care?

Just click that little 'post' button- and you'll be fine.

12. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    does anyone know where the term "sock" came from?

Just to expand on the answer given earlier, "sock" is indeed short for "sockpuppet," a term coined by Chyren, an ancient mod for a more civilized age.

13. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    It took me ages to get up the courage to post my first fic on here, but when I did everyone was so encouraging that I wondered what had taken me so long! Even with a number of posted stories under my belt, I still get nervous before posting -- there's always a tiny voice saying, But what if no one reads it? What if it's terrible? But I've been posting a while now and it hasn't happened... yet.;)

Using a beta is a great idea if you need some extra reassurance or have doubts about your fic. Just remember that everyone began somewhere -- we all know what it's like to be posting that first story.

14. pokey1984

pokey1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2004
    Thanks, Herman. Previous posts were unclear as to whether this was speculation or fact, glad to hear a definitive answer. :D It's been bugging the heck out of me.

15. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    How do you get up the courage to post your first story?

I agree with most of the others here - just do it! I like the way VaderLVR put it:

I closed my eyes and clicked on ENTER before I could change my mind.

I plunged right in and posted my first story the same week I started reading and commenting on the boards. Mainly because I didn't know any better. Its worked out for me - now I can't stop writing because its so much fun!

Like many of you, I started with a viggie. It was a controlled length, one-shot story. It seemed more manageable that way. People are friendly here - it seems most of us love to write and want to improve. Where better to do that than with a lot of other people who share those goals?
    [:D]

ojn @};-

16. Ace_Venom

Ace_Venom Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    I just went ahead and posted my first story. I knew getting my start here with a long AU series would be risky. I've attracted a few die hard fans, but I always write for myself. If you can't entertain yourself, you shouldn't write. Still, it is nice to see that people are actually looking at your work.

17. pokey1984

pokey1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2004
    I posted my first story way too early in the morning when it kinda seemed like a good idea. :) Actually, it wasn't my first story, but it was teh first one I posted, if that makes any sense...

Posting my first story here was difficult for me, that's why i went with a challenge response first. I'm sure I'm not the only newbie who found the boards to be terribly intimidating. Threads com eand go so quickly here...

on that note, I still haven't posted anything but challenges here, any suggestions on posting longer stories?

18. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Oh, man...

Posting my first fic on these boards was nerve-wracking to say the least, and I'm the type of guy who really doesn't care what people think of me.

My advice? Don't even think about it. Just hit that 'post' button and don't look back.

19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Hmm, posting my first fic was nothing. I was so new and naive to fanfic I just started a new topic, started typing in the post window...( did for quite awhile in fact and learned my lesson the hard way, when posts didn't make it, then I started using WORD first ) and hit post.

Strange thing is it was after I'd gotten a few replies that I began to get nervous. And now still to this day I hover over the post button for a good thrity minutes everytime I have a bit of story. :D :D

20. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Best advice I can offer? Either a challenge - which most people replying will have trouble with anyway, since it IS a challenge, or send it to a master to look over it first.

Jes

21. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Heh. I've found that when I started my last two stories to bug my padawans about them. The one I started yesterday I sent to my former padawan, and she read it for me and helped me change a few things. The one before that was about Wes so I asked a current padawan about it, and Jes, and then posted. :) Yeah, so find people that you know can give you good criticism before hand (if you have no master and are a little scared about it) and ask them to read it. :)

22. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    pokey:

You asked about advice on posting longer stories? Post...and don't look back. When I started writing LFR, I thought it would be 15-20 pages tops when it was completed. Well, I'm at about 20 pages right now, and I'm only about halfway through it!

I say, if you get an idea for a fic, take it and run with it. Even if it turns out to be a long fic. And have fun writing it. Asides from the ideas for K2 fics that I've had, this is my favorite one so far. And I'm gonna see about submitting it for the Archive once it's all done.

23. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Yes, don't hesitate about longer fics. I have one that's at about 150 pages right now, probably reaching 200 - 250 before all is said and done. Longer stories offer the opportunity for intricate plot development and attention to detail that shorter stories do not, and a lot of readers appreciate that. :)

24. Alethia

Feb 13, 2005
    on that note, I still haven't posted anything but challenges here, any suggestions on posting longer stories?

Find a plot, work it out a bit, and then post. And try to stick to one piece at a time. I made the mistake of starting several epic fics before finishing any of them and now they're all in hiatus, because having 5+ fan fics and countless orginal novels to work on at the same time is going to burn you out.

Plot bunnies are a curse sometimes and I definitely know how it is to be bitten by one and having to work on it right away. But pace yourself. Right now I try to work a little bit every day on my current fic, and it seems to be moving well. Keep a goal in mind, try to find a schedule and do not let errant plot bunnies run you off track. I suggest making a file for all those errnat bunnies that you can work on when they absolutely refuse to let go, so that you can work on your main project uninterrupted.

Finding a beta-reader is also helpful. I find that when I have a beta-reader, I work harder because there's someone else waiting for the fic too, so I can't shove writing a chapter off for five months... Not to mention they're great to throw ideas around with, they help your muse get into gear and they can become great friends. My only problem is that I keep on getting deserted by them, so find one that you can trust and stick with it.

A Master also might be a good idea. It isn't really right for me, I've decided, but for others, it seems to be a gem. Try it out!

Make friends, both on the boards and off who you can chat with when you're stuck. They're great for complaining to when something doesn't work and they can also help you get your bottom in gear.

Try taking a challenge and expanding on it. Most challenges are usually meant to be short fics, but I've done challenges where a longer, novel length fic sprang from it.

Basically, just start writing! Worry about the other stuff when you come to it. And if you need any help, I'd be glad to do what I can. You're always welcome to PM me.

25. Jaya Solo

Jul 12, 1999
    Here's another question, how do you get up the courage to register/reply to your first story? ;) It's been a while for me, but I remember being scared about that too. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.