main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanfic that became true(?)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Swashbucklingjedi, Apr 24, 2018.

?

Do you believe that some TCW-writers read fan-fics online and let them inspire the episodes?

1. I believe they did

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Nah, they certainly didn't

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Did TCW-writers use my fanfiction idea back in 2011 when writing the episodes 2,3,4 and 5 of Season Five? So did I actually "create" Saw Gerrera and other Onderon rebels? I'm not trolling....

This sounds crazy I know, but I'm actually seriously thinking this right now. I checked some of my old posts and noticed this: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-tcw-episode-ideas-thread.29592783/page-15#post-31952553

Posted on this site (then known as LACWAC) Nov 6, 2011 almost one year before TCW episodes about Onderon aired. I had previously posted idea of Onderon-episode that was very different and this was continuation for that idea. You can check it, post is genuinely older than the episodes and other Onderon-idea is even older. Anyway on No 6, 2011 I had these following ideas for episodes focusing on the group of rebels (or resitance fighters) on separatist planet Onderon, (does that sound familiar?):
    Dictator of Onderon
    Military junta lead by General Emmos rules Onderon with an iron fist. Little group of resitance fighters attempt to sabotage the sensor arrays that republic forces could arrive undetected and free the world.
    Returning characters: Ron Emmos(Faust General of the CIS),Dooku, Oppo Rancissis, Queen Delilah III, TI-98, commandos of Delta-squad
    New Characters: Resistance fighters: Inwand Sere(human male) Eilua Sere(Inwands daughter), Syrk Araj(Devaronian male), Kap Keer (Twi'lek male), Sim Taale (human male), Ulic Ent(human male), Threk Kolenick(human male), Judi Tenna(human female), Lieutenant Irvak(Faust officer of CIS)
    Key Locales: Onderon

Jungle War

Delta Squad is landed on Dxun- their objective: large separatist ion cannons in the jungle that threaten the fleet closing in on Onderon.
    Returning characters: Boss, Sev, Fixer, Scorch, Oppo Rancissis, Ron Emmos
    New Characters: Tammer Tii (koorivar Separatist officer) Admiral Sarth(human admiral of the republic)
    Key Locales: Onderon, Dxun
    (episode would be inspired by WW2-battles of the pacific theatre- camouflaged droidsnipers hiding in the jungle, commandodroids doing banzai charges....)

Siege of Iziz

Republic tries to get in the walled city of Iziz,with it's all entrances heavily guarded by CIS-forces. Resistance fighters try to find and kill Ron Emmos while Oppo Rancissis tries to figure out a secure way in to the city.

Returning characters: Ron Emmos(Faust General of the CIS),Dooku, Oppo Rancissis, Queen Delilah III,Claws,Sarth, TI-98,Eilua Sere,Syrk Araj,Sim Taale,Threk Kolenick, Judi Tenna

New Characters: OOM-111(battle droid commander), Major Traato(Faust officer of CIS)

Key Locales: Onderon
    I don’t know when exactly those official The Clone Wars episodes were produced- since they were made as part of season 4 with production numbers 4.15-4.18. Sure there are lot of differences, Oppo Rancissis was not yet animated for these episodes, Republic or clones didn’t officially help them etc. Onderon was not exactly ruled by Military Junta but Evil King, but dictator nevertheless. It’s still an amazing coincidence that both my fake-episodes and the real ones focus on Onderonian resistance fighters.

Inwand Sere and his daughter Eilua were "replaced" with Gerrera Siblings. It was also my intention that Inwand dies (that’s why he is not in the later episodes) as Steela did in the actual episode. Similarities still..

Sure Onderon was well known Legends -creation, seen in KOTOR II that clearly inspired TCW-makers and nothing from the Clone Wars era was established so it was easy to use. Idea of desperate resistance fighters is classic star wars really so nothing new really in that either. Am I just imagining things…?

What do you think?

Did my episode idea actually inspire them? Or is it so similar that you can say they actually stole it? Or was it just a coincidence that they also decided to use planet Onderon and also focus on non-clone resistance forces there? And like Saw Gerrera in Rebels and Rogue One, my rebels also used less than heroic methods than most good guys do, by trying to murder the CIS General for example.

I’m not really angry even if they stole it, I wrote ideas for episodes I would like to see in TCW and Onderon episodes were quite nice really. If they used them that's just cool. They had the most important parts of my episode ideas there really. (No Delta Squad, Oppo or Dxun though) But if they really took my fanon idea from the internet and used it as basis for their episodes, they should openly tell it. It's not honest or fair to take ideas and not give the credit. Maybe it’s just a funny coincidence and we just happened to have same ideas, but still a bit dubious since I had them first and posted them online for everyone to see.

Has anyone else noticed similar coincidences or instances of their fan-fiction being suspiciously similar to the new canon? I have no demands, nor proof, but if Chris Collins (who is writer of those episodes) or Dave Filoni or someone there actually read my ideas and they actually influenced those episodes I would really like to know. This puzzles me now. I remembered that I had ideas about Onderon posted here, but I didn't even remember how similar they were to actual episodes that aired almost one whole year later. Production of those episodes must have took a lot of time so maybe they even had these ideas first (Even though I couldn't know that) and I just happened to invent similar scenario.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Couple of things:

One- If you're going to accuse official Star Wars writers of plagiarism, this isn't the place to pursue that avenue. And I wouldn't advise going down that path as it's you against a multi-billion dollar corporation- odds are you'd just waste your time.

Two- Thinking up similar stories based on what had been developed for The Clone Wars at the time is a very likely scenario for many people thinking up stories for Star Wars, both for official writers and fan writers. The most likely explanation is it's just a coincidence, especially as they were also basing those episodes off preexisting lore about Onderon as well as planting seeds for the then upcoming Underworld show.

If you want to talk about this further, we can either continue in PM, or you can mention it in the main TCW thread. But again, I'd advise against levying accusations of plagiarism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.