main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanfic Trivia 2007 - Information and sign-up

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Herman Snerd, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    As promised, here is the announcement for the yearly game of fanfic trivia.

For the n00bies and the forgetful types, here are some specifics:

For anyone wondering what the benefits are to competing in Fanfic Trivia, here are a few reasons:

1) Be exposed to fanfic you've never read before.

2) Get to know your fellow fanficcers by working with them and/or conspiring against them.

3) Two weeks of pretty VIP colors as well as a title explaining why you're suddenly a VIP. For those who are already VIPs, you will be free to change your current boring colors for that time period. Those who are mods/managers/admins will be demoted for two weeks. [face_mischief]

4) Bragging rights.

Format

The trivia has been divided into four parts - the three forums containing stories and some general questions from the Resource forum. For ease of scoring, every question - even multiple part questions - will be worth a single point. Out of the goodness of my tiny little heart I'm going to keep the questions divided by forum, so when you're stumped on a question (which will be often) you'll at least know what forum to look in.

You can play alone or with a partner, but there will be no teams allowed with more than two people.

Time

The current plan is for the game to begin Friday July 6th and run until 11:59 PM (board time) Sunday July 15th. At any time within those nine days the teams can submit their answer sheet to me via PM. Only one set of answers per team will be allowed and I'm going to accept the first one only, so don't submit your answers unless you're certain you can't answer any more or you're out of time. Be sure to include your team name when submitting answers.

Official Rules:

1. The winning team shall be the team that scores the highest.

2. In the event of a tie, the winner(s) will be whichever team submitted its entry first.

3. Teams will be restricted to a maximum of 2 players and a minimum of one player.

4. Trivia answers will be sent directly to me via PM only. Only one answer submission per team will be accepted.

5. Once a winner is declared, the answers will be displayed. There will be a 48 hour period where players can dispute an answer and thereby the outcome of the game. After that time expires, the prize is awarded and any subsequent complaints will be soundly ignored.

6. To overturn the outcome of the game the contesting team must provide ironclad proof that the given answer is wrong. In the event that happens I will immediately pass the blame along to someone else and the results will be retabulated.

7. Herman reserves the right to change the rules as he sees fit.

Unofficial Rules:

1. While the official teams are limited to 2 people, there's nothing to stop teams from trading answers back and forth behind the scenes as well as contacting non-players and hitting them up for answers.

2. Given that trading answers aids the opposition as much as it helps you, it only really works if the opposition gives you the correct answer and you give them a load of crap.

3. Lying, cheating, and backstabbing are encouraged.

4. Trust no one.

So take your time and find a worthy partner, then you can sign up in this thread. Please announce who your playing partner is and what your team name is.

Just so you're all properly warned, I've been working on recruiting another henchwoman, so this game promises to be even more headache-inducing than before.

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I've never gotten to be able to play cause I've always been too chicken before to really do it, but I'm jumping in this time with oqidaun as my glorified partner :D

Our team name: Saint and Sinner

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I want to sign up and need a partner. Anyone willing to join me?

4. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    I would think of signing up. I think I would need a partner though. Any offers?

Edit: I could work with you if you want DarthIshtar, if you think I could be a good partner. I haven't been around nearly as long as you have.

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I need a very patient person who will put up with me monologuing.

6. G__Anakin

Apr 2, 2006
    What's monologuing?

7. Jturtle

Jturtle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I'm also looking for a partner if anyone wants to work with me.

8. G__Anakin

Apr 2, 2006
    I personally want someone who will do their share of the work.

I would like someone who knows a bit about Before the Saga, since I'm pretty clueless.

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Monologuing is when the villain spends so much time talking about how evil he is and how the hero is weak that he forgets to actually be evil and is ultimately defeated.

This is an example.

Anyway, I tend to mostly sit around and go "Oh, dear, well, this is a good question and it reminds me of this guy who called in because he wouldn't stop talking. Did I remember to get a bagel? I had a craving before for one..."

10. G__Anakin

Apr 2, 2006
    Hey, I don't mind. It'll be the comedy!

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Actually, as soon as me and Leia_naberrie come up with a clever name, we're going to team up.

12. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Well I don't know about a verb as the word is typically a noun, but here's a good definition

monologue: a long and typically tedious speech by one person during a conversation.

In layman's English it's a speech by somebody who wants to talk all the time.

13. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Would anyone wish to be my partner? =)

14. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    sure why not? even though RL might get me more this time than it did the last few

15. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Those who are mods/managers/admins will be demoted for two weeks.

Only two weeks? :p ;)

I love watching everyone scramble for anwsers. Plus I alwasy love the Unofficial Rules. [face_love]

16. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Taking a break from a long dance shift, The Power Converters (that is MirandaFair and ginchy), are signing up for the contest. :D

Edited to make our name look prettier. :p

17. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    The Pioneering Soubrettes of '64 (Lola64 and myself) are up for the challenge. [face_batting]

18. Sionnach-Airgid

Sionnach-Airgid Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm willing to have a go at this. It'll be a good way to celebrate my 2nd anniversary of being on the boards! :D

I need a partner though . . . [face_batting]

19. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    Oh, Hermie.... [face_batting] [face_whistling]

20. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    jagsredlady and I will be competing as The Squibs [face_mischief]

21. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Just poking my head in to say I'm entering, and also that I'm looking for a partner because I'm not that insane.

I'm not well-versed in any of the eras, but:

1) I can get results from the IGN search feature.

2) Google is a close buddy of mine.

3) I can do evil things with the Link Machine. [face_devil]

- lazy

22. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I'm up for this! Partner? Partner? Anyone, anyone?

-Krystal

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Leia_naberrie and I are The HeroineAddict and the PinkFreak.

24. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    I too would like to play and would like a partner. :D

25. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999

Now there's somebody who understands the Unofficial Rules. I'm now granting a ten point lead to lazy before any questions are posted. O:)

For those who have signed up or who are signing up, should I also prohibit last year's winners from teaming up again? [face_devil]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.