main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Yes, I would say that she would be at full term, or possibly up to two to three weeks away from full term (they might have had to birth the babies a bit early to save their life). Also, I believe it's been stated that Padmé intentionally wore clothes that would hide the pregnancy, though I don't know how effective that could be when you're eight months pregnant with twins. :p

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    For wizards, sorcerers or warlocks?

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks. I actually don't mind much of EP III, but the whole way they portrayed the pregnancy drives me insane. And, yeah, many of the public gowns she wears in the film are supposed to conceal her pregnancy, and if the film is supposed to take place over 3-4 months, okay, I'll believe the first few costumes she is in, but the last few, when she clearly gives birth to two healthy, full weight babies, just make me cringe.

4. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Briannakin, my guess was the same as Chyntuck 's—I have no idea about the time frame of ROTS either, but I do remember reading that Portman used the same belly prosthesis throughout the entire film.

EDIT: And yes, I totally agree about the portrayal of the pregnancy in the film, and indeed in most films. "Congratulations, you've given birth to an eight-month-old!" :D

EDIT 2: And apparently her attempts to conceal things don't totally work, since as I recall Obi-Wan does guess.

leiamoody, Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  5. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    It doesn't surprise me that they used the same belly prosthesis throughout the film (so I guess, maybe GL did intend the movie to take place over a few days and she is supposed to be around 8 months at the start).

But yeah, I remember reading somewhere that the baby they used was 2 months old, which I guess makes sense out of universe. Newborn babies are kinda hard to get for the purposes of a filming schedule :p

Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  6. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    Wondering whether I should start my Wedge/Iella fic from their return from Adumar/engagement, their wedding or a slightly later point that'll kick-off the main plotline. Any suggestions?

Sent from my X-wing via "Boomer" (R2-C4)

7. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Given that your main plotline starts after the wedding, I would suggest a lead in referencing the wedding and start your main story.

8. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Just start it. :) We'll read!

Katana_Sundancer likes this.
  9. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    Thanks guys. After the wedding it is!

Sent from my X-wing via "Boomer" (R2-C4)

gaarastar58 likes this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I am designing a reptile race, that I call the Proud, for the Unknown Regions based on the 'Alien Bounty Hunter' archetype from the All Flesh Most Be Eaten supplement All Tomorrow's Zombies and want suggestions on how their architecture/s should look like. The Proud have rather human like bodies but with tale and large lizard like heads, their technology is somewhere around Starship Troopers, Avatar, Firefly and Alien and have not, in practise spread outside of their homesystem.

So any suggestions?

11. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Hey guys, technical question here. When I try to use spoiler tags, I often get a second, empty spoiler right underneath it. What am I doing wrong?
    I use [ spoiler= whatevah] and finish with [ /spoiler]
    (no spaces)

12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    There must have been a space made by your word processor right above or right below. Happens to me, too; which is why I copy and paste in plain text mode and add italics etc by hand.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If you want to take them away, try using "Use BB Code Editor" in the upper right corner.

14. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    I'm wondering how many civil servants worked for the Empire (at the begining of A New Hope for instance)?

15. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    A hundred billion at the very least, probably a billion on Coruscant alone, if not more.

yahiko likes this.
  16. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    Wow! I was about to write something like some hundred thousands ^_^
    Thanks for the feedback ;)

17. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    No worries. It is a big galaxy after all, and Coruscant's population has in past EU sources been estimated to be pretty close to a trillion sentients.

18. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    Does the star around which Coruscant revolves have the same name than the planet?

19. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    It's Coruscant Prime according to the Wook.

Also, to give you an element of comparison about civil servants, Greece, population 10 million, has ~600,000 civil servants. France has ~700,000 civil servants working in the education sector alone. So yeah, don't be afraid to put a lot of zeros there :)

yahiko likes this.
  20. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    Thanks a lot! ;)

Chyntuck likes this.
  21. Glor

Glor Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2015
    So like, you ever have that issue where you've got a chapter finished, but the end doesn't feel quite right? So you let it sit for a day or two, then come back to it, mess around a bit and still can't figure it out? I've been playing that game with this friggin chapter for a week now.

Has anyone managed to resolve this problem in the past? I don't want to grapple with this thing anymore.

gaarastar58 and leiamoody like this.
  22. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Oh yes, that's an issue I have all the time, and if anyone has a permanent solution I'd love to hear it :p

My band-aid solutions are:

1. Remind myself of the point that chapter was supposed to make -- if that works, it usually entails revising quite a bit of the chapter but not re-writing it from scratch,
    2. Write the next chapter in its entirety, and then come back to the troublesome one to rewrite the ending,
    3. Write several more chapters and come back to the troublesome one -- sometimes I realise that it wasn't so bad after all and just needs minor tweaking,
    4. Let it mature for months, come back to it and either have a flash of genius or, in despair, end up posting it as it is,
    5. Go for the radical solution known in Greek as "your head hurts? cut off your head!", i.e. delete the whole chapter and rewrite it from scratch. Yes, I've done that. It was painful, but it worked.

Glor, Padawan4687 and yahiko like this.
  23. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    A French novelist, Bernard Werber (Empire of the Ants, The Thanatonauts) said, once a novel is finished a first time, to rewrite it completely.

Glor and Chyntuck like this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I think it depends on where one is with their writing. I see it this way: when one hasn't written for a long time, it may take some time to write stuff that doesn't sound too simple, sterile or whatever and expanding the first version later is a must, as it may seem like the latter work or latter chapters of the same work are better.

Glor likes this.
  25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I think it also depends on the writing style. Some people are the "get it down NOW and revise later" types, but I tend to revise as I go, so as a result, the first draft that I finish, often tends to be almost identical as to what I end up posting.

I agree with Chyntuck. Move on and come back. Maybe you will get a brilliant idea. If not, then decide if it's something you are alright posting anyways (it sucks, but if it's not a super important chapter, sometimes it is best just to accept it and not let it bog down your writing process) or, open a new word document, and completely rewrite the chapter and see where it goes.

Glor and Chyntuck like this.