main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    There is big event in the underworld and every criminal syndicates and cartels is sending representation to show colour and network on a neutral territory. The representatives are all supposed to be nicely dressed but also showing their organisations colours, as in that any in the know should not have to hard to figure out who you work for. What I am looking for are suggestions on how Black Sun's and Zann Consortium's representatives should look?

2. Anakin 99

Anakin 99 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2016
    How much time you guys think the perfect time between Updates

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I break out the calculator and apply a formulae that I like to call, when you fragging feel like it.

*Frowns* But wouldn't that just be 'brown'?

*Looks again* OH, shift-colour! Oh yeah, sounds great. Go with that.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  4. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    accidental double post

5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Re: Updates: I think once a week is generally a nice rule of thumb (that is, if you are posting something that is mostly written, or if you have a nice buffer between what you are working on and what you are writing). I think any more than once a week, readers who might not be on every day might feel overwhelmed (depending on them, the length of chapters and their attention spans). But I also think you should try to update at least once a month. Any more and people might forget/lose interest.

6. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    In order to avoid any update issues, I do not post anything :D

gracesonnet likes this.
  7. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I agree with Briannakin. Ideally, I find updating every week or two works for me. Many people for whatever reason can't get to read your story right away. Give people a chance to reply to your story before you post the next one. Also, if you stack your posts so that there are two or three longish posts back to back, then you're creating a very dense screen for people to read and it becomes tl;dr.

I'd update at least once a month if possible.

The other thing with posting too quickly is that it veers closely to bumping your thread, which is not illegal and no one is going to drag you off to jail, but it does get annoying.

8. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I third that. Unless there's a good reason for doing otherwise (challenge deadlines etc), more than once per week is a problem.

Findswoman likes this.
  9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Yes, definitely agreeing with what the others have said here. More than once a week, unless there's a good deadline-related reason otherwise, can make things overwhelming and difficult to follow. A bit of a buffer, in order to give people time to digest the story and formulate replies (and just to accommodate the exigencies of real life) is very helpful and will win your readers' hearts. I've seen many very good stories here that have foundered with few or no responses simply because their authors posted too much of them too quickly. Good reading takes time, just like good writing does!

Now all this said... your update schedule will ultimately depend on your own schedule. For my own part, I wish I could swing weekly updates to my longfic, or even bi-monthly updates. But real life, combined with side projects like short stories and challenges (which I don't want to abandon entirely), does much to make that impossible. I know that happens to other writers here too, and I try to be as patient about it as possible. So yes, in the end, the schedule is up to you—but be aware of what's realistic for readers, too.

10. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    On the other hand, we do not have an edit time limit in the fanfic areas.

Updating with new posts will apparently bother the Post Bumping Police, but editing new material onto an existing post shouldn't bother anyone.

Later on, when you have multiple projects, juggling updates will probably create a happy medium.

11. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Sith-I-5 Unless, of course, nobody's posted a reply and it's been one/two weeks; it seems to be fine to double- or triple-post if that's the case. 'Specially given the typical length of my chapters, which precludes editing previous posts to add new material.

12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I would hope that adding updates to your own dedicated thread, at your own schedule, would not be at risk of moderator sanction.

That is going a bit far.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  13. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Agreed, which was why I pointed that out. :)

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I agree with the above suggestions. I do have can't wait to post-itis [face_laugh] but especially for long challenges, i.e., year-long ones, you have to pace it so you don't run out of story. :p
    If the posts are uber!short, like drabbles sized, for instance, 500-1000 words, this could be read in one go once weekly. I do think a 2-3 chapter buffer is pretty good. [face_thinking]

15. Ugohr Poof

Ugohr Poof Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2016
    I might be in trouble but that may be because the last few chapters may be 2,000+ words long.

Nevertheless, I may be wondering about whether a Gungan colony can possibly survive on a swamp planet like Dagobah.

I could say that Gungans first colonized Dagobah ~170-180 ABY, or perhaps as far as 200 ABY if the furthest away from the Battle of Yavin known profic is set is ~180-190 ABY (but most likely is ~150-160 ABY) and that Dagobah is populated by millions and millions (mid-high two digits or low three digits) of Gungans by 842 ABY, enough to sustain an AA or AAA-level minor-league baseball team.

I decided that the main character will announce his Padawan as well as announce his purchase of a baseball team on the same day, thanks to proceeds from gambling on baseball games, thanks to the Jedi Order of that era granting Knights and Masters the right to own businesses, whereas Padawans could not. (Geonosis is the Yankees of Geonosian baseball, with Praesitlyn a close second: they are at the top of the Geonosian baseball food chain, while Neimoidia and Koru Neimoidia fill the same roles for the Neimoidian baseball food chain)

Knowing that Gungans seem much more interested in baseball by 842 ABY than Naboo humans, a Naboo baseball team (at the AA or AAA level) would be mostly attended by Gungans.

For 15-20 million credits (credits need to be left over to actually afford the transition between owners, as well as to finance his operations in fighting the Neimoidian Baseball League), he may be looking at buying an AA-level team or a struggling AAA-level minor-league team.

16. Anakin 99

Anakin 99 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2016
    I feel bad for Uncle Owen Almost everyone writes him in a bad light:(

gracesonnet likes this.
  17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

There was a recent story where the author showed some sympathy for him. Seek and you shall find. :)

18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Is there a timeline for when the first AT-ATs were built?

What ship was Darth Vader's own during the early years of the Empire?

Findswoman likes this.
  19. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    No idea, but a previous (and weaker) version of AT-AT appeared in the Star Wars: Rebels TV series (5 BBY)

According to the Wookipedia, the Devastator was Darth Vader's flagship from 9 BBY, until being replaced by the Executor (between 1 ABY and 3 ABY)

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Thanks. :) I need them older than that, 19-17 BBY. I guess I'm asking for impossible.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What you need them for? Can you not use any of the Clone Wars walkers?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    A formal visit of Darth Vader to a planet to announce that it's now a part of the Galactic Empire. And a vulgar display of power of sorts.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think I would use the larger walkers or tanks from the Clone wars for that, they may not be as high as the AT-AT but they are still big and impressive.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Can you point me to a particular episode? I still didn't get to watch everything. Sorry for being a pain, of course.

25. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    In 19 BBY, not sure an Imperial-class Star Destroyer would have been already built. You could maybe assign a customized Venator-class Star Destroyer to Darth Vader. This would be a good opportunity to show the transition between the Ancient Republic design to the Imperial one.

Same for AT-AT. Not sure they were already built at this time.

To display power, from a Darth Vader psychology, this would be more using the Force.
    Using flagships and machines to show off, this would be good for someone like Tarkin or Tagge.