main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    There is the All Terrain Tactical Enforcer

[​IMG]

the Juggernaut
    [​IMG]

the All Terrain Attack Pod
    [​IMG]

and the All Terrain Recon Transport
    [​IMG]

I think three AT-TE in the front, in an arrow formation, followed by two lines of juggernauts, at least six of them in each line could work, with AT-AP:s & AT-RT:s walking beside them. Gunships, and similar could also be flying beside the whole parade.

Personally I would not have Vader leading such a mission, at least not at this time, but instead have him as the "shadow" of the moff, or whatever, who is leading the mission. Standing just behind her, saying more-or-less nothing and just being menacing. But that is just me.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Ewok Poet

Also, I believe that some Victory-class Star Destroyers had been built for the end of the Clone Wars, if not actually deployed, so Vader might have had one of those during your timeline.

On the other hand, he would be more familiar with the Venator, so could have asked to maintain one of them as his.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How would people describe the branches and leaves on the tree bellow and is there any trees that looks similar in SW or RL?

[​IMG]
    Comic page from http://www.schlockmercenary.com/

Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Those branches are hexagonal.

Gamiel likes this.
  5. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    It makes me think of a baobab with hexagonal leaves. In French, I would say that these branches are "noueuses" (knotted)

Gamiel likes this.
  6. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I don't know if this will be any help, but the biggest leaf (that I know off, anyway) on Earth, is this circular plate-like frond that floats on the water in swamps, maybe some lakes.

Humans can sit on it.

Out of sight, I am pretty sure there is a water plant underneath, so you could use the simile of seeing the leaves from under the water.

Gamiel

I liked the comic's comment about giving an abyss "performance anxiety". My sort of phrasing.

Gamiel likes this.
  7. GreyBard

GreyBard Jedi Master

Oct 28, 2005
    So I'm working on a post TFA-era adventure fic, and I'm stumped on two vitally important aspects, which I suspect a deeper knowledge of the EU could help.

First, I need a planet (ideally at least vaguely close to where the First Order is currently strong) which would be strategically important enough that the First Order and other conqueror types would be extremely interested in taking it and holding it. It could be strategically located, have some kind of very useful resource or both. It doesn't need to have a large population, as long as it has some.

Second, I need an opportunistic third party entity (probably from the EU, I am happy to steal from the EU) who would want to step into the chaos created by the events of TFA to start swiping New Republic and First Order territory for itself.

Basically, I am looking for a political/national entity that is approximately the same level of evil and dangerous as the First Order (after the First Order no longer has their megaweapon) - not significantly more or less - so that Resistance and New Republic people would be genuinely conflicted about who to temporarily warily ally with against the other.

I was thinking the Imperial Remnant, but I am very interested in other possibilities.

Help?

8. borgrel

borgrel Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 29, 2016
    erm .... the imperial remnant and the first order dont exist side by side ..... the only way that a story where the first order exists requires that the imperial remnant not exist because if the imperial remnant existed and the republic was as weak and pathetic as its been made out to be in TFA then the imp rem would have destroyed it 30 years ago.

the hutts have massive territory and are always willing to take advantage of the downtrodden.
    pirates always exist and some of them have huge fleets.
    since ur mixing timelines the yuzong vong would never hesitate to manipulate the first order (aka a lesser species into making an advantage for them)
    the chiss would not hesitate and no1 would b able to stop them but they would need a reason to do it other than weakness
    most members of the republic would splinter off and annex territory if they believed they could get away with it.
    every1 always like blaming everything on the mandalorians so they might make excellent scape goats

9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Some ideas...mixing Legends and New Canon, because who cares? :)

- Hutts
    - The Banking Clan or any made-up power from the Corporate Sector
    - The Correllian Trilogy plot where the Sacorrian Triad takes control of the Centerpoint Station, re-used

Edit - forgot to respond to Sith-I-5 yesterday. Sorry! The only way I can be un-chaotic is when I make lists for literally everything and then I freak out because I made a list.

This would make sense, re-the Venator. I'm not well-versed when it comes to this stuff, so if I don't figure it out right after reading whatever PDFs I have etc, I may ask you for more information.

Also, since you are very good at catching things that would be extreme breaking of the rules of the SW universe, what do you think about what Gamiel said? Would Vader being a part of a vulgar (enough) display of power as early as ~18 years before Yavin make sense, or would it just sound silly?

10. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Now that the Emperor has his new pet / toy / second, I am sure he would send Vader out on such missions, just like he sent Count Dooku during and before the War.

Absolutely nothing wrong with using Vader.

I don't necessarily know if the early Empire would march ground vehicles through a city.

Most systems gave up on local space defence forces, not sure when; so if you wanted to do a show of force, a Star Destroyer would be your best bet, as the planet won't have anything to touch it.
    But you start marching AT-ATs, AT-TEs or whatever, even Earth would take a crack at it.

What is the message trying to convey? You are in the Empire now, and basically, you are ******! Or, you are all Imperial citizens, and the security that you have long sought is here.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    This is a planet of art-loving hippies and yes, I do plan to have a Star Destroyer do something that's specially offensive to citizens of the planet. The idea is that it's closer to "You are in the Empire now, and basically, you are ******!". The planet's rulers were aware of the Republic becoming Empire, but they went silent in diplomatic terms and this waas a way to get them to "cooperate".

What I'm going for is formal annexation of systems that were previously in the Republic, starting from the Core.

The idea of an AT-AT would probably literally be just having it march and I gave up on that. They need to scare these free thinkers into submission, but not to that extent.

12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Ewok Poet

Vader: Pick a city.

Planet: Whyyyyyy?

Vader: ....Indulge us.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  13. GreyBard

GreyBard Jedi Master

Oct 28, 2005
    Okay, I guess I wasn't being super clear. The situation I want to write is this:

In the wake of Starkiller, the New Republic is set into chaos, and at that point, the New Republic, the First Order and (Insert Group Here) are all at each other's throats, trying to keep (New Republic) or take (the other two) what they can. I need a group, probably one existing in Legends, because why not, that is approximately as bad and dangerous as the First Order.

Any two groups are stronger than the one remaining, and the two conquerors will never be able to work together, setting up a situation in which New Republic people have to decide who they are going to temporarily ally with in order to take down the other.

So in Legends, this group, whoever they are, could be more or less powerful than the First Order in new canon, and I can adjust their power levels up or down to fit, but I still need them to be not significantly more evil, or for that matter, less, than First Order so that there is some actual dilemma for the New Republic.

Alternately they could be some planetary or cultural group from within the New Republic from new canon, taking advantage of the chaos, but again, they would need to be believable as approximately the same level of evil and power as the First Order.

TLDR This group needs to operate independently and not want to murder the entire human species or something like that, and be a political entity of some kind, not just a criminal gang.

Help?

14. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    GreyBard

The Centrality

You're welcome.

15. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    OK, a question: Are any of you bonafide astrophysicists - or know someone who is? I want to bounce some scenarios off them for a story (to make sure they work).

16. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Kurisan I'm not really much of a scientist, but perhaps I could serve as a sounding board for your ideas? The worst that can happen would be that one of us wouldn't know, but might be able to offer suggestions for where to look for more detailed descriptions of such as you describe.

17. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    GreyBard : I would suggest Mandalorians.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    GreyBard other possibilities are the Hapes Consortium and Hutt space. Corellians also have been mentioned to be a bit disrespectful of others properties, have had, in the OEU, a tendency to choose leaders who are a not nice people and a dislike for authority not their own.

To me the Mandalorians, in the movies-era, never felt like they were actually able to truly conquer anything larger, but I can see them as a threat as raiders, pirates and mercenaries to whoever pays them best.

19. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    As an author, he can buff Mandolrians up :p

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    True, or he could have them as a part of some kind of "Free Systems Alliance" or "Brethren of the Void" :p

yahiko likes this.
  21. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    yahiko

Do you mean "duff"?

Buffing a Mandalorian would just make his armour shiney. :p

yahiko likes this.
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    "They will conquer eternal, shiny and chrome!"
    :p

23. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    Goodwood That's very kind of you. Maybe I'll PM. They're pretty specific scientific questions regarding white dwarfs / red giants / supernovae.

24. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    You don't have to confine your questions to a PM; the purpose of my reply to your original query was to encourage you to give such questions a public try in this thread, since multiple heads are better than one at this sort of thing. After all, this thread is meant to be for any kind of writing-related question, and not limited to Star Wars-type stuff.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  25. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    Goodwood But that'll spoil the surprise when I post the stories!:p