main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Personally I would go with something along the line of having the person coming from a "[name] tower/scraper/block/similar" instead of coming from a suburb or similar. F.ex.: "It took Ysanna Skywalker (no relation to the jango star or the rebel) 30 minutes to travel from her apartment in the Peachtree hab-block at the edge of Imperial city to her work, as a tourist guide, at its centre."

2. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I'm not really sure about residential districts, but here is a list of residential buildings that might point you toward something: Coruscant residential buildings.

pronker and Findswoman like this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    To continue with this.

Things I have decided on using are souks; waterpipes; the saroual/waist sash/waistcoat outfit; horseshoe arches on at least all better buildings; parks and gardens, preferably with a Topkapı-like kiosk, as a way of showing power - every large settlement have at least one park with one or more kiosks, larger and/or more powerful settlement have more and larger parks; people of power have their own large gardens and/or parks with a kiosk.

Do people have any more suggestions?

And to repeat so is this idea partly inspired by the illustration for the Noctan Strike Forces from Warhammer 40k, shown below.
    [​IMG]

pronker likes this.
  4. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    Inhabitants of Peachtrees. This is Judge Dredd.

Gamiel likes this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Glad somebody got the reference :)

Have you heard that there will be* a Dredd 2?

* unless one of the countless things that stops a movie happens

gaarastar58 likes this.
  6. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I hope there is a Dredd 2, because the first one really was a dark horse. I mean seriously, it is exponentially better than that Stallone abortion.

gaarastar58 likes this.
  7. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Does anyone happen to know if there is any established lore on which Kiffar sheyfs may have been in power during the time of the Jedi Civil War (i.e., the KOTOR era)? Thanks! :)

8. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I don't seem to recall the Kiffar mentioned at all in KotOR material, but I never did get the chance to have a good look at the KotOR/TOR Campaign Guide(s?), so there might've been mentions of them. In any case, it seems like it'd be right up your alley to just go ahead and make some stuff up along previously-established lines—you are quite good at it. Especially as possible precedent-setting stuff for at least some of what is seen in the Prequel-era comics.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Kiffars appear in the The Old Republic book Fatal Alliance maybe it is stated there?

Findswoman and pronker like this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I need a non-human species (preferably not to humanlike) that have been capable of space travel for at least 500 years, any suggestions?

11. Shekel_1383

Shekel_1383 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 2, 2016
    Hey everyone,
    I've posted the first chapter of a story I'm writing, to post Chapter Two, would it be ok to crete a new thread for it, or does that go against the ToS in anyway?

pronker likes this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    One story goes in one thread. And most of us allow some time for others to reply before we go on with the next chapter. E.g. I have a story I update on Tuesdays. :)

Shekel_1383 and pronker like this.
  13. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Can you say a bit what you want them for? My first thought was Duros and Hutt, but I guess you already thought of those and dismissed them, so a little more context would help :)

Hi Shekel and welcome to fanfic! We normally just reply to the story thread in order to add a new chapter to a story, and edit the title bar to indicate that there was an update. To edit the title bar, click edit > more options in the opening post of your thread, and add "chapter 2 posted" (or whatever you deem appropriate) after the title. You can also put a hyperlinked table of contents in the opening post if it's a longer story with many chapters. To link to an individual post, click on the number that appears bottom right (next to "like" and "reply") and copy the hyperlink from there.

Shekel_1383 and pronker like this.
  14. Shekel_1383

Jan 2, 2016
    Ewok Poet Chyntuck thank you very much. I'm aiming to take more time on chapter 2 (I think chapter 1 was probably a bit too short), so I think I'll give myself a day or two more to work on it and post it

Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  15. Shekel_1383

Jan 2, 2016
    While I'm hear, I'll ask a more literary question. Do you guys have any advice on writing descriptions into dialogue? I want to avoid having a paragraph describing the environment etc, and then a paragraph of dialogue, rinse and repeat.

And Chyntuck I forgot to thank you for the welcome!

Chyntuck likes this.
  16. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Did the Ewoks of Bright Tree have any organized war leader around the time of the Battle of Endor?

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Nothing different from what they would normally have.

Chief Chirpa and the Council of Elders, led by the Head Elder Kazak are making all of the decisions. Chief Chirpa's older daughter, Asha Fahn, is also one of his best hunters and has experience navigating the forest because she was lost as a child and raised by korrinas. Chief Chirpa's heir and younger daughter, princess Kneesaa is more about diplomatic action, though she is battle-ready herself and pretty good with her lasso necklace and later, a knife. Teebo's function is similar to Asha's, but he is also in charge of writing to other villages.

If you want to know more, tell me. I can go on and on and on and on and...eechaa.

jcgoble3, Findswoman , Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    They were for a colony planet whose inhabitants I could not decide upon and then just a couple of hours ago I was hit by that I should use the Schenors.

Chyntuck likes this.
  19. whiskers

May 19, 2005

I was thinking of having Deej visit a ship in orbit of Endor as part of a cultural exchange meeting with the Alliance. I didn't want it to really be part of the royal family or even the priest caste.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    In that case, he's a pretty good choice, as he's neither. :) He could go with his wife and youngest child, too.

Sith-I-5, Findswoman and whiskers like this.
  21. whiskers

May 19, 2005
    Sith-I-5, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    You're welcome. :) Can't wait to see the result.

whiskers and Findswoman like this.
  23. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Do any physical descriptions or artwork exists for Luke's Jedi Temple (the one depicted in Rey's vision of the destruction, not the one on Achoo...whatever that planet is named)?

24. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I always assumed the Jedi Temple on Yavin was the one the Rebels worked out off in A New Hope.

Is that not the case?

25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Achoo is the planet I need in a parody I have been working on for a while. Thanks, Moody!

Послато са SM-J500FN уз помоћ Тапатока