main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What do people think of using sithspawn instead of ****up? Like: "We could be dealing with a bureaucratic sithspawn," or maybe "We could be dealing some bureaucrats making a sithspawn,"

Findswoman likes this.
  2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    "Sithspawn" wouldn't really fit here because of its origin as well as use as a general epithet; the original sithspawn were monsters created through Sith Alchemy, used as cannon fodder in various dark-side armies during the Old Sith Wars.

Gamiel, Sith-I-5 and Findswoman like this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Agreed with Goodwood.

And a story should rely on characters and plot more than how those characters talk. Their slang does not automatically give them a distinctive voice, they need to be elaborated on to a certain extent.

Gamiel and Findswoman like this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    And? I mean [horizontal tango] just mean mating and a 'matingup 'just sound stupid when you think about it. Really, I have never understood the English language overuse of [hanky panky] as a swearword.

And 'sithspawn' is already established as a curse/insult in SW and I thoug that you mabe could use it as meaning "something that should not be" or similar.
    Oh their slang is not there to give them a distinctive voice (that's what their grammar is for :p). It is there as author appeal :D

5. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Is there any information, either official or fanon, about the mythology/religion of Corellia? I'm particularly interested in any monsters/demons/stories used to scare small children.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    This is the only one I know of http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lord_Nyax

pronker and Raissa Baiard like this.
  7. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    Thank you, Gamiel! This looks like just what I need.

8. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

What I think Goodwood is getting at is this: "sithspawn" is more typically used as an insult directed at people/beings ("You bureaucratic sithspawn, you!"), so because of that it probably wouldn't work as well to refer to something like a situation or an object. If you're still looking for something to mean "a snafu, a messed up situation," I'd say stick with "kark-up" or similar.

Goodwood and Gamiel like this.
  9. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Is there any information on the state of the galaxy after Legacy? Canon or Fanon. Any obscure prophecies about the "distant future"? I'd like to get some idea on what the galaxy would be like 50+ years after the 2nd Imp Civil War.

10. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002

Take your pick. Any story prefixed by [Beyond - Legends] or [Beyond the Saga]

http://boards.theforce.net/forums/fan-fiction-before-saga-and-beyond.10859/?prefix_id=295

http://boards.theforce.net/forums/fan-fiction-before-saga-and-beyond.10859/?prefix_id=22

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The problem is that I have realised that that I don't really want to use nonsense-word-substitute for [doing it like they do on the discovery channel].

With that realisation do I restate my question: What ways is there to say 'big mess'/'big mistake'/similar that a more rougher character would use that don't involve [A bit of the old in & out] or a substitute for it? Star Wars-y or real life (current or really old) don't really matter.

12. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Gamiel, if you look at the Wook entry for "kark," you'll find that there's nothing there about mating, etc. (in contrast to the entry for "kriff," which does mention it in connection with the origin of the word). So I think it might suit your purposes fine. And I think we get the idea without all the crazy euphemisms. :p

There's also "a [fill in animal that builds messy nests]'s nest" too. Or heck, just say "a bureaucratic mess" or "a bureaucratic foul-up"—not everything everyone says has to have SW-ish color to it. :p

Goodwood, Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    You can always go the acronym route, eg.

FUBAR - Frakked Up Beyond All Recognition.

SNAFU - Situation Normal, All Fragged Up.

Gamiel likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is there a name for the way Visas Marr, among others, wear her head veil?

[​IMG]

15. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014

I'm not sure what you mean exactly—as in, a word that describes this way of wearing a veil? I would just say she wears it to cover her head and eyes.

EDIT: Or, since Sith-I-5 is right about the Miralukans, she wears it to cover her head and the place where her eyes would be.

Gamiel likes this.
  16. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    As Findswoman puts it.

She wore a hood in such a way that it covered her, hopefully, eyes." The "hopefully" is from the view - no pun intended - of someone freaked out by a Miralukan's empty eye sockets.

She wore her veil in such a way to make one think they had inadvertently stumbled into a game of Hide and Seek. Gamiel looked around to see if there were a pair of shoes peeking out from under the floor-length curtains.

The riot control stormtrooper froze in the act of throwing away his blaster rifle. Captain Phasma had covered this. Silent, formally dressed femme with a veil that covers her eyes. Number Seven on the list of people not to **** with if they are carrying a quarterstaff.

Glor, Gamiel and Findswoman like this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It is just that I have seen that look, more or less, appear in many different places and was wondering if there was a "proper" term for it or if it was just called something along the line of "eye covering head veil".

18. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    How big would anyone describe an adult Rathtar as being? The globe bit. I am going with "easily ten feet across" but I don't know how close to the size of the TFA ones, that is.

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Beside barabels and defels, what species do we know of that are nocturnal/have evolved to live in low light?

20. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    According to the Wook, Umbara lacks sunlight on its surface, so the Umbarans would probably fit that description perfectly.

Gamiel likes this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I remembered umbarans five minutes after I had turned of my computer, that's so irritating when that happens.

22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Can't remember what they are called - white furred, bent over enslaved creatures that Han and Chewie almost joined. Big eyes. Slave collars. Their atamosphere seemed so snowstormy that I don't think much sunlight gets through.

And the Coway of Mimban. Maybe Greenies too.

Gamiel likes this.
  23. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    Thinking about writing a potential X-Wing story. Take place post Hoth. What did Rebel pilots do while they were flying around with the alliance fleet, did they establish temporary bases or did they have carrier ships for landing their fighters (I feel like they didn't just live in their fighters!) apart from the big Mon Cal cruisers. Also was there every any kind of cadet program in the alliance for pilots too young to fly combat missions (around 16yrs)?

Lastly, who do you reckon is the better pilot: Luke or Wedge?

24. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Many other warships besides the Mon Calamari cruisers had hangars, either by design or modified to have them; for example, Nebulon-B frigates could carry TIE Fighters while in Imperial service, so they could doubtless carry Rebel craft as well, just fewer of them. A lot of allusions are made in various stories and source materials to starfighter bases being scattered about the galaxy during that time, since with the lessons of Hoth ringing loudly in their ears, the Alliance would have wanted to decentralize a lot of its combat power. This would have a twofold benefit: not only would it be much more difficult for a single Imperial attack to threaten and possibly neutralize a significant portion of the Rebellion, but it would be that much easier to keep Imperial forces in a given sector or region off-balance in a protracted guerrilla campaign. Perhaps your story could revolve around the movements and fights of a single squadron as it attempts to keep the Empire pinned down in a problem area?

As for who is the better pilot, it depends on whether or not you want to take the Force into account. Since you can't really tie a Jedi's powers behind his back (so to speak), it wouldn't even really be a fair competition. Wedge is a fantastic pilot for certain, easily one of the best the Alliance and New Republic had to offer, but against any Force-user, he is going to be handicapped rather cruelly. In a mock engagement with the likes of Luke Skywalker, who seems to have inherited every measure of his father's raw talent as a pilot, a draw is about the best he could ever really hope for.

Thorn058, gaarastar58 and pronker like this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What colour would people say the YJK coveralls have?