main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000

I don't know any specific from Canon, but how about Enforcer or Defender? Shield of InsertPlanetHere? Famous historical figures? Cities? Aggressive animals?

Might add a note of levity. If I read it, I'd just chuckle. There must be some type of insurance for ships, for cargos, for individuals...

Kahara, yahiko and Ewok Poet like this.
  2. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    The context is one of my bad guys (Tarkin) sets up a plan which is his "all-risk coverage insurance".
    If this makes you chuckle, not sure it would be appropriate :D

3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Also, Pride of InsertPlanetHere seems to be a frequent occurrence. You could also name ships after values that their homeworld considers important (IIRC in VotF the Diamala flagship is called the Industrious Thoughts because the Diamala as a culture value hard work).

EDIT: yahiko You need a native speaker to answer your question if you're looking at English (and that's not me :p ), but I find it difficult to imagine Tarkin talking about "assurance tous risques" even in French.

Snocone, Kahara and yahiko like this.
  4. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I think saying his plan was his "insurance policy" would work.

Kahara and yahiko like this.
  5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Gamiel, the Ithorians maybe, as a corollary to their strong values in connection with nature?

Gamiel and Kahara like this.
  6. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Gamiel
    Well Alderaan was pretty pacifist at least in Ledgends, if I remeber correctly.

Gamiel, Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  7. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    Instead of something related to insurance for the Tarkin's plan, maybe I should find an equivalent in the military vocabulary. Any ideas? :D

8. Theodore Hawkwood

Theodore Hawkwood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    yahiko: Contingency plans.

yahiko likes this.
  9. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    I have found something else which suits my context perfectly. Cannot say more since it is a kind of spoiler... :p Thank you everyone!

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe you could make it sound like he is referring to some famous quote or saying. Like: "There are many machines on Ix. I need to make certain the new machines work for me."

Referring to they saying "Many machines on Ix. New machines" which is an ancient saying meaning ca. "intrigues within intrigues and more are forming"

yahiko likes this.
  11. Snocone

Snocone Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 14, 2015
    yahiko
    I'm guessing you mean the Caamasi? The people of Bimmisaari were pacifists.

Edit: Wikia page: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bimmisaari

Mistress_Renata
    Chyntuck
    Great starter ideas! I appreciate it. I actually totally used "Enforcer" before even reading your reply [:D]

Gamiel and Chyntuck like this.
  12. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    Would you say Palpatine is a pervert (in the psychological meaning, considering someone else like an object)?
    Also, do you think Palpatine could feel some sympathy for someone else, or is it not compatible with his Sith nature?
    Thanks! :)

13. Snocone

Sep 14, 2015

To "pervert" something would be to take something good and twist it into something wrong or evil. So yes, but that word most often implies sexual perversion, so I wouldn't use it personally.

Context would be good, but I highly doubt he'd feel anything other than the desire to use someone to his own ends--and that could mean feigned sympathy.

yahiko likes this.
  14. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    1/ I do not intend to use the word itself. It is more to define as precisely as possible Palpatine's psychology. I may consider him like a pervert and a psychopath. If you have other psychological traits that could suit to him, do not hesitate to let me know.

2/ In my fiction, I make Palpatine feel some sympathy for Bail (5 BBY), although Palpatine is quite surprised by this feeling. This happens during a verbal exchange, almost an argument, where Palpatine is playing with Bail.

Snocone likes this.
  15. Snocone

Sep 14, 2015

If you feel up for it, I strongly recommend reading Darth Plagueis by James Luceno to get a good idea of traits that define Palpatine. After reading it, I don't get anything other than treachery, malevolence, selfishness, etc. from him. Granted, that was Luceno's projection onto the character, but considering what he was like in the movies (one of the best actors throughout the entire saga, in my opinion), I take that author's depiction as legitimate.

Ewok Poet and yahiko like this.
  16. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Question.

If Snoke's hologram was 1:1, how big do we reckon he would be?

Snocone likes this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    * Do we know any dathomirian last names beside Djo?

* Any suggestions on writing weequays? As in to differ them from your normal SW humans.
    No the lurmen http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lurmen

Snocone likes this.
  18. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Gamiel
    Well I rember Kai, Lai, Plo, Grjak, Ti and Sicru as Dathomirian names.

19. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    Hi,
    I'm back with the sympathy feeling from Palpatine...

Here is my original text (quickly translated from French):
    I understand well that sympathy is not really compatible with Palpatine's psychology.
    But, in the mean time, I really like the structure of my current sentence above. Especially the opposition "kind of sympathy for Bail Organa" vs "hatred for the Jedi". I would be quite sad to give up this sentence, and I cannot come up with other ideas where Palpatine despised or is simply was playing with Bail

Would you think it is ok, or sympathy is still a no-go for Palpatine?

20. Snocone

Sep 14, 2015

It is all up to you, the writer, whether or not that should be added to Palpatine's spectrum of character. A couple of things I'd like to point out, though: You said that you really like the structure of that sentence. I love a finely-crafted sentence myself, and it pains me to make any changes. But the repercussions would include having to explain Palpatine's uncharacteristic sympathy within the rest of the story, especially if that story is within the already-established timeline. Given the fact that Palpatine is speaking with Bail Organa, I'm guessing it comes before Palpatine declares himself Emperor in Episode III. Which means there's some heavy explaining to do in order to keep everything consistent down the road.

Then again... if you're rewriting the whole story somehow, then heck, Palpatine could turn to the light side for all he's worth. As long as it's believable, you can write whatever you feel works with your story.

Also, if I may humbly say: You disarm your own point a bit with the second sentence--"After all, only Jedi deserve hatred from the Sith, others are no more than mere marionettes." This is what the reader is thinking, too. Which means you would need to not only explain those feelings of sympathy to your character Palpatine (who is trying to figure out his own feelings on the matter), but also to the reader, who knows Palpatine to be nothing but sympathy-less evil.

For instance, I spent two-thirds of a novel trying to show how Anakin Skywalker in Episode I was not, in fact, Jake Lloyd, but a realistic person the reader relates to and roots for. That's uprooting what's already established in the readers' minds and replacing it with something good and consistent. Whew! [face_hypnotized]

Making a more three-dimensional character is a great thing. I don't think you should steer away from it myself. But it's also some hard work in the long run.

yahiko likes this.
  21. Snocone

Sep 14, 2015

Ahhh hahaha cuuuuute [face_love]

22. Snocone

Sep 14, 2015

Too big. Judging by the picture I hastily looked at and measured by using my mouse pointer, probably 6 or 7 human lengths, so ~40 ft.? [face_dunno]

There's no way that's 1:1. He's gotta be compensating for something.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  23. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Gosh, those Lurmen. They look like aye-ayes.

[​IMG]

pronker and Snocone like this.
  24. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Snocone - Thank you! I will go with 40 ft, unless I see a better offer.

yahiko - I think Palpatine can be temporarily sympathetic to beings that are useful to him; but if they fail him, or he has no more use, that fades in an instance.
    Eg. Mara Jade, Maul, or Anakin as younglings and adults. Sympathetic and nurturing as all drokk, till a better offer comes along.

Gamiel, Snocone and yahiko like this.
  25. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Compensating for something he must be. Probably Yoda size, the real Snoke is.

Snocone and Mistress_Renata like this.