main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    I am looking for thriller movies with a good soundtrack.
    Thanks ! ^_^

2. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    yahiko likes this.
  3. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    Thanks RX_Sith!
    I've just picked up the Psycho's soundtrack, very nice!

Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Ewok Poet
    There's a tag called just SAGA use that job done.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

But....the beyond part? O_O One just can't win here. :p

*throws self off the window*

Kurisan likes this.
  6. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I believe you're overthinking it, Ewok Poet :p . You just need to let the reader know roughly what to expect before they open it up. You can explain the frame of reference in the first line of the first post. It sounds like an interesting story-telling device - but the story itself is still set in saga. If you can do it like Mary Shelley, then quickly enough the reader will forget the narrator and dive into the timeline as intended.

Let me know when you post it. I'd like some tips on how to do that.;)

K

Ewok Poet and Gamiel like this.
  7. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Ewok Poet - the explanation as I understand it, is to tag based on where the majority of the story takes place, so as you put the narrator imparting wisdom having a whole half story to itself, that is what you can go with.

mavjade - spotted your edit; that was a fictional term from the Judge Dredd franchise; are we only allowed to use Star Wars ones?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't know of any but there was a Trade Federation guy who took his Lucrehulk and turned pirate if I rember right. Don't remember his name but I could try to look him up.
    I think I will use 'Force priest', since we say buddhist priest and christian priest, not priest of Christ or priest of Buddha.
    I hope not, because then I will be in trouble

9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

It's been posted in my misc thread on...I think Saturday? Friday? Depending where you are now. I hope that I am allowed to say this, given how much of a dilemma it caused and how much potential headache it could cause to FanficIndex the first time 2017 stuff gets to be indexed.

On top of this, it's canon and AU at the same time. O_O

Kahara and pronker like this.
  10. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    [face_love] *points up to lurvely holiday header* Siri! Satine! Sugi! Bo-Katan! Asajj! The Legends EU and Star Wars: The Clone Wars live again, baby!!! Happy St. Valentine's Day, y'all!!

Kahara likes this.
  11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    You are allowed to use other fictional curses in certain situations, but you are never allowed to do so directly at another user. It's considered the same as using an actual curse word. If you have further questions regarding that specific edit, please PM me.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  12. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Didn't know that.

13. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Okay, I can't make sense of what I'm reading online, so I need the help of native English speakers here. How do you call in English a rhyme where only the very last sound of the rhyming words matches? Example: "me" rhyming with "galaxy". Is it what you'd call an imperfect rhyme?

14. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Yep. I was taught it's called a slant rhyme in school, but it can also be called an imperfect rhyme, half rhyme, oblique rhyme and a few others.

15. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

For most rhymes, it really is only the last syllable (or few) that matters, so what you have there with "me" and "galaxy" can be classified as just a plain old, regular rhyme (I'm guessing "galaxy" is getting an extra bit of emphasis by virtue of its poetic or musical context). Incidentally, that very same rhyme appears in the "spacer shanty" sung by Noadd Kolrj in my story "The Spacer's Song," if that's of any help.

An imperfect or approximate rhyme (also called half rhyme, slant rhyme, and several other things) would be something where the sounds are similar but don't quite match: "This little piggy went to market, this little piggy stayed home, / This little piggy had roast beef, this little piggy had none..." So if galaxy were rhyming with lie or why, that would count as an approximate rhyme.

And then there's feminine rhyme, which is a rhyme that ends on an unstressed syllable: "There once was a man from Calcutta / Who had a most terrible stutter." (Actually, that one happens to be an approximate rhyme too, depending on one's accent.)

Hope this helps! :)

16. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    :oops:
    Findswoman is correct. I have no idea what I was thinking, other than an imperfect rhyme and slant rhyme are the same thing. :p

17. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks both!
    Does this mean that in English poetry you don't have different names for a rhyme where only the very last sound rhymes (e.g. me/galaxy) vs a rhyme where several of the last sounds rhyme (e.g. skylight/highlight)? I was able to find that in French, the former is called a "poor rhyme" (rime pauvre) whereas the latter is a "rich rhyme" (rime riche), doesn't that distinction exist in English? (French doesn't have stressed syllables like English or Greek, so I understand that there's a basic difference there, but I was looking just at the phonetical match in this case.)

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  18. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

Indeed we do have such a distinction: "skylight"/"highlight" is an example of a feminine rhyme, as described above, and when it's only that one, final, accented syllable that rhymes, it's a masculine rhyme.

One can get even more detailed with feminine rhymes: if it's two syllables that rhyme ("skylight"/"highlight," "motion"/"ocean," etc.), that can be called a "double rhyme." If it's three syllables that rhyme ("fortunate"/"importunate," "higgledy"/"piggledy"), that can be called a "triple rhyme." And, at least in theory, so on. :)

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  19. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    :oops: Okay, my first foray into the technical terms of English poetry is taking me much further than I expected.

Am I correct to understand that me/galaxy is not a masculine rhyme because the last syllable of galaxy isn't stressed? (because that would work for my story too)

20. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Chyntuck, sorry I'm making this complicated! "Me"/"galaxy" is indeed a masculine rhyme because it's a rhyme on a single final syllable—and yes, the final syllable of "galaxy" isn't usually stressed, but in a rhyming situation like this it will usually gain a little extra emphasis in order to bring out the rhyme: "To take each moment and live each moment in perfect harmony / Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me."

(Note the way "Ga-lax-ee" is written in "The Spacer's Song" in order to emphasize that—there I was following the lead of Gilbert and Sullivan, who did that kind of thing a lot in the scores and scripts of their musical theater pieces. It's by no means absolutely necessary though.)

Kahara, A Blind Prophet and Chyntuck like this.
  21. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks heaps Findswoman [:D] (And you certainly shouldn't be sorry! I learned something new today thanks to you and I'll therefore go to bed less ignorant, which is always a win.)

22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Can I use the word "cock" where it clearly means "male bird"?

Findswoman likes this.
  23. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes. Cock is only disallowed when referring to genitalia. All other uses (ie for a bird or cockpit) are allowed.

And I just want to say, English poetry is as much of a bastardization of poetry as English is a bastardization of other languages.

RULES? THERE ARE NO RULES THAT MAKE SENSE IN ENGLISH!

jcgoble3, Kahara, mavjade and 4 others like this.
  24. Snocone

Snocone Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 14, 2015
    It has been said that "English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over, and rummages through their pockets for loose grammar."

Daneira, jcgoble3, Kahara and 4 others like this.
  25. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    and then breaks it repeatedly before turning it over to it's boss. >_>

Kahara, Chyntuck and Snocone like this.