main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    So Darth Vader has PTSD? Actually, yeah, I can see that, especially when you throw in the factor that he is not entirely evil, and therefore occasionally actually gives a kriff about stuff.

Gamiel likes this.
  2. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I have a feel of their personalities, but I don't think I'm good at portraying them in writing. My story is titled prequels redone

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    The problem is focusing on too many things at once and not being able to pull it off, or at least not at this point. Also, no contact with anybody and constant restarts of the same story, but you knew that last one.

One thing I recommend is to read, read and read even more. Visiting other threads will be of great use, too. We discuss characters a lot here, here, here and here. There is also this thread, which is a goldmine.

What I had on my mind was borderline personality disorder. And seems like people qualified for this agree:
    http://www.livescience.com/10679-psychology-darth-vader-revealed.html

And nope, those people are not entirely evil, but they are EXTREME in all possible ways. It can be maintained, but it's a ticking bomb. Bipolars are a ticking bomb, too; but their anger doesn't last long, they say "Kriff everybody, kriff the Universe, kriff me" and then go back to some different state.

Gamiel and divapilot like this.
  4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    PM me a link, or the chapter you are concerned with.

5. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I figured that their constant emphasis on meditation and mindfulness would act as a kind of decompression and in a sense, therapy, too. Plus the importance of having no attachments means they don't get quite so emotionally invested in things.

6. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, throw in his experiences as a child who was a slave, yeah, I can see some PTSD going on... Watto didn't seem out and out abusive, but who knew what he'd been to before that.

7. Theodore Hawkwood

Theodore Hawkwood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    The Phantom Menace did have a line where Anakin said he and his mum were owned by Gardulla the Hutt.

8. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    All right... military awards & decorations of the Rebel Alliance, help me out here, crew.

I've been to the Wook, there's a long list, and nearly all of them seem to be "The highest award for bravery/valor/whatever." Some seem to be specific to a particular service. Some seem relevant to specific actions and campaigns (Shield of Yavin, Talons of Hoth).

Anyone interested in trying to sort out a list of rankings of Alliance Awards from lowest to highest (or should we move this to fanon)? Ignore the campaign specific ones and the campaign battle tabs.
    It seems like the three most basic awards for heroism/bravery are:
    Burdine Cluster
    Star of Alderaan
    Corellian Cross

Followed by:
    Bronze Nova for Gallantry

Somewhere in here seems to be a Rohal Cross and a Platinum Valor Cross?

Then:
    Kalidor Crescent (which later gets all kinds of embellishments)

And at the top (unclear on which is the highest):
    Alliance Medal of Honor
    Medal of Honor
    Medal of Bravery

Obviously the issue is that different writers/creators came up with different awards at different times and didn't see what was already in existence (typical Canon/Legends issue). So, I dunno... Anyone want to weigh in?

9. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Corellian Cross sounds like all the years that Han was looking for the 'Falcon.

I would assume that any time you have a precious metal award, like the Bronze Nova for Gallantry, that there would related ones with different metals, like in RL, we would add Gold and Silver versions.

10. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Or Corellian Cranky, after he got out of carbonite?

It's just all very confusing, and would be helpful if someone else knew more than I did...:(

Ewok Poet likes this.
  11. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Just had a thought. Pop over to the Star Wars Games forum, and see if anybody there knows if the X-Wing or TIE Fifghter games had award names as you went up the score sheet. I did not have either game, but I have a feeling that they might have. That could help.

Is there a particular instance that you need an award for, or is knowing the order important to your plot?

12. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I'm looking for one that is NOT "the highestbiggestbestest award evah with puppiesandrainbowparkles!!!!" :p Something for valor/courage, but near the bottom tier.

I figure if I can figure out a ranking tier, it will be useful for whatever other plot bunnies come along besides the current ones...

13. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
  14. Theodore Hawkwood

Theodore Hawkwood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    There also appear to be various planetary awards too, like the Corellian Blood Stripes earned by Han Solo for an as of yet unrevealed act of courage...

pronker likes this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Regarding military awards & decorations; I would recommending asking around in lit. there are many there who are into this kind of stuff. Or aske one of them over here. Like GrandAdmiralJello or AdmiralNick22 , they can either help or point you to the right direction.

16. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I did. I asked over in the EU X-wing thread. It's been quiet over there lately. If I don't hear by the time I get to the relevant point in the fic I'm working on (which is going to be a while), I'll just say 'fooey' and fanon the whole thing. But it would be nice to get more consensus...

17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I'd fanon the whole thing.
    - says the person who is trying to design X-wings with waterskis below, for some pretty "out there" kind of battles on a planet that demands less pollution

18. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Consider using Naboo N-1s, or look at them for inspiration; I have always been convinced that their hulls are designed for surface water skimming; certainly comparable to the old flying boats.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Do not use the imperative. :p

And that's a niiice theory. :)

20. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Unable go comply.

Don't know what that means, and online dictionary unable to explain.

21. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Could be they used regular X-wings and adapted the landing gear? Although it might be a little damp when the pilot wants to get out of the cockpit! Unless the pilots were Mons Cal or Aqualish...

Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    The pilots are the three dominant Corellian Sector species, so nope, no amphibians. The battle is kind of unorthodox, above the bay.

23. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Quick question: How do I get my story title to be in bold text?

24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Impossible.

Послато са SM-J510FN уз помоћ Тапатока

25. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    really- dang!