Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Sith-I-5 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    @Kurisan - first pic excellent, especially as a quick knockup.

Other insta-head canon suggestions were:

If she's with the Resistance, probably a fan of Leia too, or at least agrees with her view that the First Order were a growing threat.

Again, working off the Luke obsession, she has the equivalent of that RL anti-stalking order that doesn't allow her within a hundred metres of Artoo Detoo.

"Have you tried turning him on and off again?"

"He's an astromech, not a moisture vaporator."

Grew up on one of Calrissian's colony cities.

Pilot-trained under one of the Rogue Squadron pilots - Wedge, etc.
    Last edited by Sith-I-5, Apr 20, 2017
  2. Ewok Poet Force Ghost

star 5
    These are great, @Kurisan! I can't recognise Jess' faceclaim, who is it?

The alien is awesome!
  3. Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus

star 4
    That's the actress who played her TFA, yes? I have only seen her in the X-wing uniform. I would have to go back & re-read the comic to see if they mention the name of her droid.

I suspect her hero-worship of Luke stems from "flew an X-wing against the Death Star," more than any of his other heroic accomplishments, and probably similar fan-girl worship of the other pilots from OT. Gearhead seems to be a VERY apt choice of characteristics!

I love the suggestion of "Did you turn him off & turn him back on?"

As far as I know, I've never seen much of her character expansion in any of the 'official' sources beyond pilot & tinkerer, so I'm excited to see what you come up with.
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  4. Kurisan Jedi Knight

star 2
    @Ewok Poet yes... @Mistress_Renata is right; it's really her... Jessika Pava! (aka Jessica Henwick. She was also in Game of Thrones, and I think I saw her in a UK law drama called Silk).

@Mistress_Renata, it's good that her coverage is limited so far. More room for me to play with. Though it could all get blown away by future canon books/films. :(

@Sith-I-5 lol that's a brilliant idea. Actually it leads me to another... maybe she can build and install a vocabulator into her astromech so they can, you know, actually talk to each other. They are so cheap in the RPG book I wonder why everyone in the GFFA doesn't do it - seems like a basic thing to be able to understand a droid's words.

Anyway, my reasoning is that Ms. tinkerer/testor would like to make her own one of these AND she's probably more comfortable talking to machines than other sentients. (And people will think she's mad for talking to her ship lol)

I've been researching astromechs, and it seems BB-8 really is one of a kind as Poe says. I've taken a good look at Jessika's T-70. This is the pic from Wookieepedia...

[IMG]

Check out this close up....

[IMG]

It looks like an R3 or R8 model in the socket. So, I've altered the previous picture...

I can still call him "Bix" - just R3-B6 or R8-B6 instead. I need to come up with an interesting character for him, too. There are droid quirks I can choose from in the RPG...

I have an idea for opening short story forming - the pilot episode hahaha. Standby for blast-off.

I now return this thread to its scheduled purpose. Sorry, I just like going through these thought processes out loud sometimes - I get all sorts of interesting feedback and ideas. It's like you guys are writing the story along with me.
    Last edited by Kurisan, Apr 24, 2017
  5. Gamiel Force Ghost

star 6
    Oh I have thought about that but that kind of lifestyle depend on their existing at least some flora and/or fauna that are compatible with your digestive systems. One idea is (if we work with the idea that Christophsis is more-or-less your standard crystalline planetoid) is that crystalline lifeforms populate the planet but non-native life have been able the take rot here-n’-there creating "oasis" that humans/similar can live from. Now the items those humans/similar can create depends upon what lifeforms make up those “oasis”. The problem would be how to make it different from your standard desert world.
    That's an idea I had not thought about, maybe have all the soil of the world be what sandy, with the sand being made out of crystals. This could lead to something... [face_thinking]
    That is a possibility but I was more looking for suggestions on how people who had been stranded there might have developed.

Also if people know of any sentient species that eat rocks or metal so am I all ears :)
  6. Kurisan Jedi Knight

star 2
    @Gamiel

The ferro-worms from The Secrets of Sewosta - Episode I of Maya Qwan's story (link below) are a real thing on Wookieepedia. I intorduce them at chapter 8 on page 2. They eat metal.
    Regular earthworms eat, well, earth.
    I have a feeling Mynocks digest metal (or is it just energy?)
    Plus that huge worm-thing from ESB living in the asteroid must eat something.

I suggest searching Wookieepedia with the keywords; species rock digest

I have to say, though, that this is a very good chance to make up your own species. Something crystalline. You see that sort of thing across many many sci-fi stories.

K
    Last edited by Kurisan, Apr 21, 2017
    Gamiel likes this.
  7. Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Jedi Master

star 4
    Although the Horta originated in the Trekverse, I see no reason why it could not also exist in the GFFA. And It eats rocks and metal.
    Gamiel likes this.
  8. Kurisan Jedi Knight

star 2
    OK, new question so new post. I'm thinking about R3-B6 - "Bix" - as seen in the picture with Jess above. He's an astromech assigned to Jess Pava - Blue Three in the Resistance.

I want to give him a vocabulator, so he can talk, but it will be with a very limited vocabulary because it's homemade. I can have some fun with this in the story. I need to build a list of words he can use, starting with Yes & No.

That's the background.

In the meantime, my question is about personality for the droid. Jess is a tinkerer, very mechanically-minded, and also cautious, dedicated and likes to follow orders. I think Bix needs to counter-point this a bit rather than behaving exactly like her. On the other hand, you know what they say about dogs learning to mimic their owners... ? I looked up the list of droid quirks/personality traits in the RPG. These are not an exhaustive list, but a good starting point.

The ones I like so far are...

1. Amenable - gets on well with organics. (I think Jess is shy in comparison)
    2. Aggressive - gets into fights. (Maybe thinks of himself as Jess's "protector"?)
    3. Argumentative - always has to disagree and get the last word in.
    4. Paranoid - Ahh maybe not. Don't want another Marvin.

To reflect Jess a bit more (I'm not too keen on these)
    5. Self-improvement - keeps upgrading his tools and programming.
    6. Mechanically inclined - avid interest in machines (less so in sentients).

Which do you guys like? Any other ideas? My favourite at the moment is 2.:D

K
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  9. Ewok Poet Force Ghost

star 5
    Argumentative! Like R2.
  10. gaarastar58 Jedi Master

star 2
    @Kurisan

I think it depends entirely on what you want the relationship with your protagonist to be. An aggressive, argumentative droid like Chopper will help balance your character if she's a little more withdrawn as Bix might get her into lots of situations she'd rather not be in. Even if she can be argumentative at times that can lead to some great play between the two characters. Although K-2S0 has rocketed to the top of my favourite droid list, I love the banter that has come from AP-5, the captured analyst droid from Rebels. He is so smug and superior - you kind of get the impression he didn't mind working for the Empire because at least they kept the trains running on time, and he makes a great comedic foil for the rest of the cast.
    Raissa Baiard and Ewok Poet like this.
  11. Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I googled Jessika & "astromech..." One site suggests her astromech is R0-4LO. It has a Wookiepedia article. Could call it Rollo?
  12. Kurisan Jedi Knight

star 2
    @Mistress_Renata bingo! Many Thanks. I wonder why it didn't come up when I googled Jessica pava droid? Rolo on the wook. Nice name.
    Last edited by Kurisan, Apr 23, 2017
  13. Ewok Poet Force Ghost

star 5
    Jessica appears to have been already used in a story by somebody, by the way. I can show you which one tomorrow. :)
    Kurisan likes this.
  14. Kurisan Jedi Knight

star 2
  15. gaarastar58 Jedi Master

star 2
    There seems to be a lot of Jessika/Rey shipping. Seems folk are big fans of bluerey.
    Kurisan likes this.
  16. Ewok Poet Force Ghost

star 5
    Dunno. I just saw Jess in the character list in this story, but I cannot send a link until the voting is over, just in case that's campaigning.
    Last edited by Ewok Poet, Apr 23, 2017
    Kurisan likes this.
  17. Kurisan Jedi Knight

star 2
    @Ewok Poet I found it. It was pretty good actually, and Jess was nicely done. I think I can work within canon and even add to that author's good work.

@gaarastar58 *sigh* rule 34 and all that.

K
    Ewok Poet and gaarastar58 like this.
  18. Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus

star 4
    I shouldn't worry about it, @Kurisan. How many stories have been written about Luke, Leia, Han? I don't think I've ever seen her as a lead. You'll find your own spin, a way to tweak her and make her version your own! (Now stop chatting and start writing, I want to read this!! :p)
    Kurisan and gaarastar58 like this.
  19. Kurisan Jedi Knight

star 2
    Of course you're right, @Mistress_Renata. I do like to start with fresh blank slates so this is kind of new to me. Anyway, thanks to you I now have a definite droid companion... Meet Jess & ROLO...

[IMG]

And here's a treat for the "Bluerey" fans lol...

[IMG]

Now then... EDITED. Forget all that. I'm going with my first instinct - Amenable for ROLO combined with Talkative. He's got a new vocabulator so he wants to use it - perhaps more interested in talking to people than concentrating on his repair tasks. Contrasts with Jess, who's shy, dedicated and focused on her machines.

I suppose I can give "Bix" to Asty now. I'll make him the aggressive one. ;)

K
    Last edited by Kurisan, Apr 25, 2017
    pronker likes this.
  20. Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Jedi Master

star 4
    Who created Dalyn Baobab (GFFA Bob Dylan)?
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  21. Findswoman Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Dalyn Baobab is a creation of @Ewok Poet.
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. Ewok Poet Force Ghost

star 5
    Dalyn R. Baobab is a member of the highly influential Baobab family from Manda, known for the Baobab Archives, the Bocce language and the Baobab Merchant Fleet. He took a quite different route compared to his spacer cousins and decided to sing revolutionary songs. Once the Empire found out about him, he defected to the independent Roon system* in the Abrion Sector where he remained until the end of the Galactic Civil War.

And yes, you can borrow him if you need him. :)

* Roon is free when one mangles Legends and New Canon, since the Empire was chased away from it in the Droids cartoon series.
  23. Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Jedi Master

star 4
    I knew he belonged to somebody, and since I have some OCs who are music people (even though I still haven't properly introduced them yet), the GFFA's Bob Dylan will be mentioned at some point, and I like to give credit where credit is due.
    Gamiel, Snocone and Ewok Poet like this.
  24. mavjade It's so FLUFFY! Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 6
    What would be some GFFA versions of 'It was his cross to bear'?
  25. Sith-I-5 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    No idea, frankly. Nothing in Wookiepedia's list of slang is comparable.

Getting a definition of the term on Google, a Life Debt looks like a good example of one... Maybe you could use that?
    mavjade and Snocone like this.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade