main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017

What about the Force sensitives being able to comprehend unknown languages with relative ease. I heard it was a thing, at least in the old canon. And my character is an experienced Force user/ former Jedi from Luke's Order.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we know of any worlds with islands/rocks floating in the sky?

3. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    closes thing is cloud city. But that was a city. I'm sure Gullier's travels there was a floating city, but this is SW, you can do a fanon job.

Gamiel likes this.
  4. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Wasn't there a planet in Rebels with rocks floating just off the surface? The one where Ezra communicates with those weird cat/jaguar things and compels them to attack the Imperials? Season 1, I think.

Gamiel likes this.
  5. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    found out how to have a huge slab of white in your fanfic.
    All you have to do is press enter a bunch of time and leave something at the end of page like a period

6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Rocks floating in the sky. Alderaan....no, wait.

Snocone likes this.
  7. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    Ok, quick question to you guys, how would you translate Auteur Theory into Star Wars, not the concept but, the words themselves. Auteur is french for author but, in this context it is describing a Movie Director that has a distinct style and vision that is instantly recognizable. (A Kubrick film looks like a Kubrick film, a Spielberg film looks like a Spielberg film etc.)

My question is how would you transfer this phrase into Star Wars while keeping it to two words?

8. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    holonovelist theory?

novels are called holonovel in SW

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would just use Auteur Theory. SW have latin, so it possibly it also have something similar to french.

10. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    It does? Where?

11. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    One could assume that it is a Twi'lek word, given that most Twi'leks in the animated series have french or creole accents. Possible but, still feels like a bit of a cheat.

Gamiel likes this.
  12. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Can you give us the specific sentence you want to use it in? I think I would probably either just use "Auteur Theory," or describe the concept without giving it a specific name.

Edited to clarify: I had to look up the term to know what it means on Earth. I doubt you can substitute a Star Wars term and have people recognize the concept, since it isn't a super-popular term on Earth.

13. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    Well, it's not a sentience, it's a title, going for a Noir sort of theme and Auteur Theory sounds just like a title for a pulpy detective novel.

14. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Is it the title of your story? Or a title of a book, movie, etc. within your story? If you don't like the sound of Auteur Theory, how about just Auteur? I think that would still get you to the concept you want.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  15. galactic-vagabond422

Jul 11, 2009
    It is the title of the whole fic but, it still feels a little like an earthism. Though I am now working out an in-universe reason why that word is used, again linking back to the fact that Twi'leks in the animated series, speak with french accents.

Tarsier likes this.
  16. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    FireKeeper

Gold Leader "Break of the attack! The shield is still up!"

Red Leader "I get no reading. Are you sure?"

R5 Yes, he's sure! Pull up already!

17. Snocone

Snocone Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 14, 2015
    questions: 1. You'd call someone overly proud of their country "nationalistic." But what would you call someone who's overly proud of their planet or system? 2. I'm considering just using the word "jingoistic" here, but that seems very much an Earth term. Hence question 1. But what do you think?

18. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    planetphile? Sectorphile? Or just make up a star wars random name? I myself discourage you from using Jingoistic. To me, simply saying to me hey man, you are Nationalistic is totally fine. Accursing me of Jingoism, however.....

Snocone likes this.
  19. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I think it would work. It's based on a slang term, not a place or a person. Otherwise, "fanatical" is the closest I can think of.

Snocone likes this.
  20. Snocone

Sep 14, 2015

Haha yeah. Thanks! I want to avoid "patriotism" and "imperialism" since my story is pre-Empire, but... perhaps it would be a knowing nod to the future...

"Ethnocentrism" may be another possibility...

21. Snocone

Sep 14, 2015

That's sort of the problem: "By Jingo" was originally a way of avoiding "By Jesus" apparently. But yes, "fanaticism" is definitely a useful word.

22. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    Right, fanatical or ethnocentrism will work. But I want to know why you want to avoid patriotism. Just curious.

Snocone likes this.
  23. Snocone

Sep 14, 2015
    From what I understand, "patriotism" doesn't necessarily have a negative connotation; it can just mean that someone really loves their country. Words like "jingoism," "ethnocentrism," and "nationalism" have more of a shade of arrogance or bigotry associated with them.

The character I'm describing, Terrinald Screed, ends up being one of the Emperor's top military commanders, so I definitely wanted to imply that he's a bigot. Or at least heading in that direction.

24. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    Ah, in that case, describing someone eVeel, sure, go ahead with the negative connotation words.

Snocone likes this.
  25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    How about "Jangoistic". And for your universe, have the name Jango as meaning "patriot".

Tarsier and Snocone like this.