main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What kind of stasis chamber are we talking about?

2. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    Hmm... I'm not very good with the technology in the new canon, but theway I imagine it, it could preserve the victim in a suspended state with the victim being unconsious.

If you explain me on the types of stasis chambers out there, I would be grateful, since the Wookiepedia article is painfully short.

3. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Han spent months, or maybe couple of years in carbonite freezing, and then spent maybe 3 or 4 days to top shape.

So centuries, I want to say in carbonite maybe a year until top shape?

4. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017

That is why I am reluctant to use carbonite. Too much time to recover.

EDIT: I have found what may suit my needs. Not sure if it exists in the D-canon though.

5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    If you can keep the power going, why not use the Authority prison' ones in Han Solo at Star's End, where you just freeze time?

6. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017

Oh, forgot that they require power. That might make it problematic if I decide to make the complex abandoned. There's also http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Oubliette_(stasis_casket) ( sorry, for some reason link refuses to work on a tablet) , but power might be needed here too.

Anyway, gotta think about rhe plot more myself.

7. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    I am sorry for double posting, I just have another question. Just how many people in the Republic space know where the Resistance base is? The variant I am currently going with is that the Republic military, as far as several officials know it's location, but it remains unknown tothe general public. The First Order finds out by the end of TFA. How far is it from the truth?

8. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I think part of my fear or, lack of imagination, is in this very area. I am familiar with Ben, Jysella, the Jedi Temple, and how the Jedi operate in general. I am also comfortable with the OCs I've created. If Lens leaves the temple, I have to stretch in creating a myriad of new characters and the environments they all exist in. I've printed out a plot structure diagram, which I think will be helpful as soon as it stops intimidating me. I also have to decide what story I want to tell. What mission Lens is going to take. Do I make him older? I don't want to make him a full Knight. He should still be able to take on such a simple mission as a teen, right?

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  9. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    FireKeeper

I think the location of the Resistant Base is unknown even to the higher officers of the NR. Security needed to be tight. The First Order can eventually track where did the old YT freighter came from? from tracking trajectory. But It would take time.

brodiew

Just get access to a Star Wars name generator, and go ahead and make original planet and OCs. I mean, just look at Zahn's work. Myrkr, Wayland, Thrawn, Mara Jade, Talon Karrde, Obroa Skai, Coruscant, Spaarti cylinders.... Space troopers. They were all OCs for Mr. Zahn, but they are all known by every star wars fans out there today.

10. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    True that, DARTH_MU. I hadn't thought of a Star Wars name generator.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    FireKeeper you could just say that it is a cryo-sleep capsule. Since it, unlike the tech used for Han's freezing, is made for humans so could you have it that your character only show symptoms similar to Han's even after all this time being on the ice.

12. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    You can make him an older teen. And if if you keep the basic mission simple, sure! I sent Kess, my OC, on a simple mission to deliver a message. That was it. It all went to hell in a handbasket, of course, but the foundation of the story was pretty simple. My father used to run miniature gaming scenarios, and he also tried to keep them simple. He said that if every player did EXACTLY what they were supposed to do to gain the objective, nothing would happen. He said he also knew the players better than that! I think only 1 player ever did what he was supposed to do and gained his objective without a problem. Everyone else...yeah... it all went to pieces. But they had fun.

In terms of new characters & environments, again, if the message is simple, it can be on one planet, one or two environments. Think of it as a TV show. You don't have enough money for a lot of sets, so you limit it. You don't have a lot of money for cast, so you can keep those simple. That way, you won't feel overwhelmed at trying something new.

If you're really intimidated, don't start posting until you have the first draft written. If you've got most of it on the page, then if there's a problem, you can tweak it and fix it and not worry that people are reading and criticizing. I try to do that for most of my stuff, especially if I think the plot will get tricky.

I think you'll be surprised how easy this will go! You can do this, you know you can! [face_dancing]

brodiew and DARTH_MU like this.
  13. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Mistress Renata brings up a good point by saying Older teen. I was completely broken after reading Edge of Victory Conquest. The protagonists were too young. You know, to think about it, I never finished that book.

14. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Funny you should mention NJO. These characters were even younger and still in the Creche. Lens and crew are same age-ish as Ben Skywalker.

15. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    It all comes down to whether you want tragedy or comedy, I guess.

16. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm all about the comedy, My Man. :D

Ewok Poet and DARTH_MU like this.
  17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    brodiew

You don't have to create a host of new characters.

You could set your story on or in an empty space station, tomb, star destroyer, etc.

Just a starfighter and droid to get there and back, and you are done.

Lens, is it? Could deliver a vital part to a stranded Republic SD, hand the part to literally one npc.

Edit: Okay, been thinking a lot more about this. Especially about environments.

I also don't have a lot of original imagination. Bit I am fine working within the confines created by others.

Eg. I probably couldn't make up my own entire spaceship, but if I want to place OCs aboard a Venator, or my OCs have to be aboard one, because a Games Master put them there, if I cannot find any floor plans, I can, eventually, sort out my own deckplans, and navigate my OCs within it.

So, if having to create your own environments is too daunting, use someone elses, fanon; canon, Star Wars or not; Real Life places or areas that you are most familiar with and can describe with your eyes closed.

fanon (remember we have a Fanon thread, where your fellow writers on here have created places, and are okay with them being used by others).

canon I used a scene out of the James Bond movie, The Spy Who Loved Me, to create the event that brought a teenage Ysanne Isard, and my half-elf Everquest refugee together.

The four-legged marine laboratory, off coast of Corsica, James jetskis out to it, boards, goes up in a lift, finds fellow Russian agent Romanova tied up in room, she's wearing red, they escape while the place is sinking and corridors fill with water.

I put the exact same building on Iskalon waterworld, Yav swims out to it (did lots of swimming in Everquest), boards it, goes up in a lift, finds fellow agent Ysanne tied up in room, she's wearing red, they escape while the place is sinking and the corridors fill with water.

No stress of thinking up new environments. Just use what you can see on the dvd or blu-ray of whatever show or movie you think young Lens should be wandering about.

Real Life While sitting in the library, walking to work or school, or being somewhere that you know, have a go at thinking of it in a Star Wars context.

If for instance, Zekk wants to break Lens out of his reliance on being at the Temple, and invites him to come find him at Dexter Jettsters, and you send Lens on a route through your town that you are familiar with, no-one here is going to know.

Snocone, brodiew and Mistress_Renata like this.
  18. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    What lightsaber color is best fit for a former Sith-former Jedi-turned Grey Force user? No purple, because that would already make him too similar to a character that exists in the old canon( which I am currently working against, and which frustrates me a lot).

19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Red. If your OC is former Sith, and did not lose their lightsabre, why change it?

Or, the colour of whatever lightsabre he/she/it happened to come across, or pull from the dead hand of whatever person they last killed.

What's your favourite colour. Use that for the crystal that colours the blade.

Look up crystals on SW wiki. If your OC can make it to the relevant planet, use that for the crystal that colours the blade.

White, with a blue handle, like my ANH Palitoy one.

20. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    Has there been any info on what might the ruins of the first Jedi Temple on Atch-To contain? I am planning to put ancient relics and holocrons in there( or at least near it, if it's in a shape that bad). Just how lore-friendly what I am writing is?

21. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, if you can wait until December... :D

22. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I think I have the germ of an idea. It incorporates much of your advice but keeps with the tongue in cheek nature of the character.

On second thought, maybe its too silly.

23. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Due to my perception of Snoke's stature, I have romantically paired him with the Weeping Angel version of the Statue of Liberty.

Almost nothing is too silly to write.

pronker and Snocone like this.
  24. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    Pink starfighters, Hux's cooking show, milk is white... there is no such thing as too silly around here!

pronker, Raissa Baiard and Ewok Poet like this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    As the author of the Hux's cooking show duology, I confirm this - nothing is too silly.

P.S. I wrote weirder stuff before you came back...

Snocone likes this.