main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014

Would Ataru or Makashi then be better fits for Soresu instead of the two I mentioned?

2. Theodore Hawkwood

Theodore Hawkwood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    I'm working on a crossover type fanfiction at the moment (Kingdom Hearts/Star Wars) where instead of the Yuuzan Vong it's the Heartless that invade the Star Wars galaxy. It's sort of my take on the New Jedi Order. I assume that it would best fit with the 'Beyond' tag, right?

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Is Lee's character in it?

4. ekrolo2

ekrolo2 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2014

Are you referring to me or Hawkwood?

5. Theodore Hawkwood

Jun 17, 2014
    ekrolo2: He was talking to me. I answered his query via PM.

ekrolo2 likes this.
  6. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    ekrolo2 Hi, re the Obi-Wan being held prisoner during the Clone Wars, there may have been other instances but the Dark Horse comics had him being taken to Rattatak by Ventress after the battle of Jabiim. The trooper Alpha-17 was also taken along to Ventress' castle.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Jabiim

ekrolo2 likes this.
  7. Theodore Hawkwood

Jun 17, 2014
    In writing a crossover fanfiction how would you recommend introducing the other universe to possible non-fans? I've written crossovers before but I'm always keen to improve.

8. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Hmm. Wookieepedia says that "[p]ractitioners of Ataru were always on the offensive", which doesn't mesh well with the defense-oriented Soresu.

Makashi would seem to be the best match; Wookieepedia says, "The early levels of Makashi were devised to provide a defense against an opponent's blade, allowing an initiate in the style to defend himself with minimal effort, but needing to be paired with a more offensive style to score a winning blow." That's similar to Soresu, which provides good defense but needs some alternative options to be successful on offense, and so a practitioner of one would probably find it relatively easy to learn the other. Makashi does have a good offensive package, but unlike the other three we've discussed, it doesn't focus on it, so it meshes the best with Soresu's tenets. Also, Makashi is focused on blade-to-blade dueling, while Soresu was developed to overcome Makashi's failings in defending against blasters. So a being who could master both would be a truly powerful fighter against any opponent.

In short, I would recommend Makashi to pair with Soresu.

Kahara likes this.
  9. Theodore Hawkwood

Jun 17, 2014
    How do you rate Wookiepedia for research for fanfiction? I find it informative personally but I'm curious how other, more experienced, Star Wars fan fiction writers rate it.

10. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    As a Wookieepedia administrator, I can say that it's usually right, but take everything with a grain of salt. If you own or have easy access to the source, you should look it up there and not rely on Wookieepedia. Watch out for articles with big cleanup banners at the top; often those warn about potential issues that may or may not include factual accuracy. Also be wary of unsourced information; look for a little superscript number after the information (possibly later in the paragraph) and click on that to see the source it's referenced to. If you don't see a reference, take it with several grains of salt.

The best articles that have been peer-reviewed for accuracy, quality, and completeness will display one of these three symbols in the upper right corner: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Articles with one of those symbols can almost always be trusted for accurate information; although they are not immune to problems, especially if they haven't been reviewed in a few years.

Theodore Hawkwood and pronker like this.
  11. Theodore Hawkwood

Jun 17, 2014
    In the case of the source material (The Han Solo Trilogy, which is my main research source since my fanfiction deals with characters from it) which I own I look it up there.

I've seen Wookiepedia articles that do need correction and the like, for instance the one on Bria Tharen lists her height as 1.57m, which is 5'2" where the novel Rebel Dawn describes her as almost as tall as Lando's 1.78m, so I went with Rebel Dawn's description of her, putting her around 1.75-1.77m in height for my fanfiction.

As an aside I'm already aware Bria seems to be a rather hated character on this site. Thanks for the tip, jcgoble3.

12. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    That's one of those cases of "look at the reference". ;) In this case, it says, "The Databank and The New Essential Guide to Characters list Bria Tharen's official height as 1.57 meters (5 ft 2 in), which is comparatively short. However, throughout the Han Solo Trilogy Tharen is labeled as a tall woman. In Rebel Dawn she is actually said to be taller than Winter, whose official height according to StarWars.com is 1.7 meters (5 ft 7 in)."

What we have here is a conflict between sources, which is fairly common. In a situation like this, in the absence of official word from Lucasfilm as to which is correct, Wookieepedia generally accepts the newest source on the theory that it's more likely to be a retcon than an error (which is usually correct). In this case, both the Databank (taken down in 2011) and the NEGTC (released in 2002) are newer than Rebel Dawn, which was released in 1998. That's not necessarily what is in the official Holocron database, but it's the best we can do without access to the Holocron. Whatever the case may be, though, it's certainly OK to pick whatever source you want to believe rather than blindly accepting what Wookieepedia has chosen to go with. :)

Kahara and Theodore Hawkwood like this.
  13. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    In this case, I would start the story in one universe and gradually introduce aspects of the other universe. One of the mistakes I see is when a character from another universe is introduced, everyone from the reader's universe is quick to point out how different they are, usually their clothes, weapons, whatever accessories.

If a character is introduced, the best way I feel to ease them in would be to treat them like some backward hick from some out-of-the-way rock on the ass-end of the galaxy. They come off as a bit on the odd side; naive and agog at all the wonders them city folk are used to. The other characters would look at them oddly from time to time, their accent may be this thick drawl compared to the main character's accent, and any established characters from their foreign universe would best be described in local (the reader's universe) terminology.

This way, the reader knows that this person is from somewhere far and otherwise isolated, but the transition from SW to KH wouldn't be as jarring.

Once you feel the reader is comfortable with the new characters, then start easing in their universal slang.

Kahara, pronker and Theodore Hawkwood like this.
  14. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Any ideas for a SW equivalent of "playing cat and mouse?" (Although, dogs and ducks apparently exist in the GFFA, maybe cats and mice do, too :D)

15. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Nexu and nerf? They're a bit larger and less pet-sized, but it has a ring to it. :p Different homeworlds, but they're both widely exported, if I recall correctly.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would say it depend on your home world

17. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    The characters live on Coruscant.

18. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Coruscant has escaped species from all over the galaxy, so anything would do... maybe a hawk-bat (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hawk-bat) would substitute for the cat? They're one of the few native Coruscanti creatures, and renowned for grace and ferocity.

19. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Thanks, Kahara, I think that will work nicely! :)

Kahara likes this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Tabaga-and-Vrelt have been used in the EU, the same for felinx and rodus

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do people know any cultures/species that would be interested in helping with restoring the ecosystem to damaged world? Beside ho'din and ithorians.

22. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Hmm, well...I don't know if this would need to be Vong-free, but IIRC, after the events of the NJO, weren't the repentant Yuuzhan Vong involved in terraforming worlds that were previously wrecked during the war? I'm not sure if their efforts included blighted planets that weren't damaged from the war itself, but were already in need of a redo from natural disasters or other reasons? (Sorry to answer a question with another question!)

pronker likes this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No problem, I can say that I can not use vong since the story take place before NJO. I should have mentioned that.

24. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    TCW Rodians would be a good choice. They care about their environment.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I realised that I have no reason to not explain the situation for what I want suggestions -
    The way I see it there should be one, or some, non-profit organisations in SW that try to restore damages ecosystems and re-create lost animals and plants.
    One of those planets they are working on is Honoghr, the problem is one of the “reclamation” bases is secretly also a Zann Consortium base that my group of mercenaries have been hired to take out. So I was mostly wondering if there was any other group then ho'din and ithorians that would not make any one suspicious on a “reclamation” bases.

Thanks