main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Go for that effect! It's most satisfying to write ... challenging, too. It might surprise that one or two plotlines converge jnaturally and are taken care of before a grand denouement/battle/declaration of love, etc. for the true finale, the punch that you wish to convey.[face_clown]

Darth Osnil likes this.
  2. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    If an older Padawan were present in the Jedi Temple when Mace Windu assembled the Jedi strike team for the Battle of Geonosis, would s/he be taken along?
    I agree with all of Mu's suggestions above, but I also think that longer chapters are okay, especially when you're in the beginning of your story and setting up the stage for the rest. Alternatively, you could break down your longer chapter with multiple plotlines into many small ones, each one with a single plotline, but then chapters tend to become too short and as a reader I find that horribly frustrating :p
    [face_laugh]

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No, s/he would only be in the way.

Chyntuck likes this.
  4. Darth Osnil

Darth Osnil Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 29, 2016
    In the chapters I've semi-planned ahead for, the plotlines are breeding like womp rats. But I think I'm overreacting. Letting my characters take the story their way makes a story enjoyable in the long run, even if the writer is ready to bang his head against the desk in irritation. [face_frustrated]

pronker likes this.
  5. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I don't recall anyone in that scene being youngish - however, wasn't Anakin still a padawan at that point? He was certainly in the battle. I would think it would be up to the discretion of the master as to whether or not to take a padawan who was an older teen.

Chyntuck likes this.
  6. Darth Osnil

Sep 29, 2016

Um. He was there because he had to be. He was one of the guys being rescued.

Chyntuck likes this.
  7. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I think it would have been inappropriate for any Jedi to participate in the clone wars until they are 25.

Chyntuck likes this.
  8. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    In long epics with multiple characters, spreadsheets are the author's friend, like an x/y grid: Time = x, Character Arcs and Events = y, or at least it was helpful on my end.[face_blush]

DARTH_MU likes this.
  9. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Yeah Anakin was still a Padawan back then, in fact in Ledgends he stays a Padawan for the first year of the clone wars. He is only promoted follwing the battle Praesitlyn were he lead troops into battle and commanded a dangerous attack on the seps main stronghold while still being a Padawan. And there are other mentions both in canon and Ledgends that some of the Jedi that fought in the CW were quite young, some just in their early teens.

Chyntuck likes this.
  10. Darth Osnil

Sep 29, 2016
    Do any of you remember the episodes from the Clone Wars and Rebels featuring the Spire? I want to get into detail on the inner workings of it all in my next chapter of my project.

EDIT: Found what I wanted, but I realized that the Spire was being mixed up with a different prison from the Clone Wars: the Citadel. And I'd already mentioned that the Spire was the prison in my story, even though I was imagining the Citadel.

Chyntuck likes this.
  11. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm - a LOT of Jedi were much younger than that - Ahsoka and Caleb (Kanan) were barely in their teens... :(

Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  12. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    But even so. Their presence is inappropriate.

Chyntuck likes this.
  13. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Still fought with the best of them. If he could hold up then it makes sense that others his age could hold up in battle, too.

Chyntuck likes this.
  14. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    If it were true then how come the 501st, a single legion could kill all of them Jedi in the temple?

Chyntuck likes this.
  15. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Ah you're looking for logic, silly! Like how Rey, on Jakku, could see the destruction of a planet millions of light years away.

Plus the temple was a surprise attack and a lot of the people at the temple, I would assume, were more service order Jedi like teachers and researchers. Fighting isn't their forte.

Ewok Poet, Chyntuck, pronker and 2 others like this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No, he had been a Knight for some years by then.

Chyntuck likes this.
  17. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks everyone! Anakin was definitely still a Padawan in AOTC but as Darth Osnil pointed out he was one of the people being rescued, not one of those who were enlisted to rescue him. After some digging on the Wook I found that at least two Padawans were part of Mace Windu's strike team: Barriss Offee and Galdos Stouff. There isn't much info about the latter, but Barriss was "older than most Padawans" so I'm going to go with the idea that any Padawans who were enlisted were very close to their Knighthood Trials.

Gamiel likes this.
  18. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    No. I think you are confusing conversations going on. Anakin was definitely still a padawan at the end of AOTC.

Also, I just want to point out that, if someone asks for an established fact in canon, contradicting it because it is your opinion isn't really helpful. There were a few padawans at the Battle of Geonosis - Barriss Offee is one i can name, but I know there was another one, but I can't remember her name.

Edit: Ninja'd by Chyn during my dig down into the wook.

Gamiel and Chyntuck like this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    My fault, I was thinking of the time Mace lead the apprehension of Palpatine. I blame that I was tiered when I read the original post and then did not reread it.

Chyntuck likes this.
  20. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    And I vaguely remember (from the novelization) that the Clone Wars had taken a huuuuge toll on the Jedi. By the time of RotS, there really weren't that many of them left. I think if you do late teens-early 20s, you'll be safe, Chyntuck.

Chyntuck likes this.
  21. Darth Osnil

Sep 29, 2016
    So I had a neat question for y'all. Do you know what the various clothing styles of different planets are? If someone wanted to remain unnoticed on Ryloth, what sort of clothing would you recommend?

22. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    In X-Wing: The Krytos Trap, there's a hilarious scene where Wedge goes to Ryloth and has to wear a loincloth over his flight suit in addition to other local garb. There's also a TCW arc that takes place on Ryloth (Storm over Ryloth, Innocents of Ryloth and Liberty on Ryloth), this image is a screenshot from one of the episodes.

In either case I think that, if you have a non-Twi'lek character who wants to go unnoticed on Ryloth, you need to give him/her fake lekku or a hood to hide that they have no lekku.

Lady_Misty, Darth Osnil and pronker like this.
  23. Darth Osnil

Sep 29, 2016

Thanks! I'll take this advice in mind.

Chyntuck likes this.
  24. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Fwiw there is a great book called "Dressing the Galaxy" that shows the costumes used in the movies. A lot of detail went into making the styles unique to each planet. For example, you can tell the difference between whether a gown comes from Alderaan or Chandrilla or Naboo.

25. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Does anyone know what rank an Imperial Base commander would be?

pronker likes this.