main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

Obtuse?

O:)

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Not to be a besserwisser but:
    (my bold)

Thanks

3. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Expanding the OCs and gender idea a bit, but do people avoid certain gender stereotypes or tropes for their characters? If so, which ones and what do you do differently?

4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Fine. I will no longer attempt to assist on your MLP related queries.

All I know about the acronym is that it means "My Little Pony", and apart from vague memories of seeing their toys in catalogues when I was flipping through looking for SW stuff, I know nothing about the subject.

Being asked to identify "any female monster" from outside MLP, fooled me into thinking I could help a fellow writer asking for assistance, and said writer would have the skills to complete the name conversion process by themselves, if given the first name.

PS. They're horses for Pete's sake; how are they going to deal with any threat, especially if it knows to stay out of hoof range? Besides, I did not recognise any of your examples, and you did not say new suggestions needed to be on the same level.

Review my suggestion for the antlered goddess from Thor. I suggested you could turn it into a bitchy reindeer. I said nothing about a goddess reindeer.

You asked for names. Nowhere did you say you were keeping the powers, abilities, and reputations of the unhoofed, non-ungulate originals.

5. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    My thinking is just to write fanfics naturally, and if it ended up something unique, that's great.
    The best works are where there is a message but it's not obvious pandering. As I said above, my OCs are mostly female. *MAD* I AM A MAN!
    Anyway, If I had to go out of my way to make an OC to avoid tropes/genders that would probably mean my works would suffer.
    So um I think I'll leave with this

Gamiel and gizkaspice like this.
  6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    "Right now, you sound like a mouse's parachute won't open."

[face_laugh]

DARTH_MU likes this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't think so but I do have noticed that I have not written any really emotional characters no matter the gender, but then again I don't have that many OCs

8. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    That's a good idea. I can see works suffering if an author is focusing on avoiding gender stereotypes, but at the same time I think it's important to be aware of them--for instance, I avoid things like "damsel in distress" or similar tropes. Also, if I have a male OC, I might put him in a compassionate role, like a nurse or such.
    Also, I see no problem in a guy having female OCs anymore than a gal having lots of male OCs. It's a preference and as long as the characters are interesting, that's cool.

I find writing really emotional characters is a bit challenging actually.

Snocone likes this.
  9. Snocone

Snocone Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 14, 2015
    Question: Can anyone point me to one or a few talented Jedi Knight pilots of the Clone Wars era (besides Anakin and Obi-Wan)?

EDIT: Specified Jedi Knight pilots

10. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Snocone likes this.
  11. Snocone

Snocone Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 14, 2015
    Kurisan thank you; I should have specified: Jedi Knights who are good pilots. But Plo Koon is certainly someone I can use for later :)

12. Darth Osnil

Darth Osnil Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 29, 2016
    If someone were to cook a womp rat, what would it taste like?

13. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    I guess that depends on who's eating it. It might taste chewy if overcooked, but more likely it probably tastes like gizka, which tastes like chicken.

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think it can depend upon what it have eaten, a womp rat living in the servers will probably taste different from one from Tattooin wildness or one living in a forest.

15. Darth Osnil

Sep 29, 2016
    In this case, Tatooine wilderness.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It would most likely be tough and stringy. Probably rather similar to dog or guinea pig. It will probably be rather boring unless you have some spices and/or similar

Darth Osnil likes this.
  17. Darth Osnil

Sep 29, 2016
    Then they'd better have a lot of ketchup. :)

pronker likes this.
  18. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Slow roast it on a spit with plenty of barbecue sauce. Then shred the meat, mix in more barbecue sauce, and make sloppy joes with the resulting mess.

Findswoman and pronker like this.
  19. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Surefire crockpot recipe for tough meat: 1 cup espresso-strength coffee, 1 bottle chili sauce, 1 bottle beer, plus 5 hours cooktime.=P~

leiamoody likes this.
  20. Darth Osnil

Sep 29, 2016
    Thanks for your help guys. pronker I'm afraid that your suggestion won't work: minors are present.

pronker likes this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I see nothing that a minor on Tatooine would have problem with.

22. Darth Osnil

Sep 29, 2016

They're not from Tatooine.

23. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Well what if we just take away the one bottle of beer.
    By the way, what about cooking alcohol?
    Anyway, many Chinese cuisine, if you don't have cooking alcohol, the dish wont work. Like with fishes and stuff. I'm not saying put in half a bottle, I'm talking about some drips, one or two shots at most. You need them alcohol, #-OH4cook4Life men!

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I need some quirks and/or interesting specialization for some interstellar trading houses/families/organisations/alliances/etc. that operate in the Lahara sector. Any suggestions?

Here are some examples I have already created:
    Xand-Nxor: One of the larger shipping houses that operate along the Braxant Run, their entrepreneur-emissaries seen on all planets across the Braxant Run. Something many find strange is that all employees of Xand-Nxor, from the loves deckhand to the highest board member-admiral are robed and masked, shoving neither skin nor hair. Why they do this is something that possibly not even they themselves know but people across Braxant Run have long ago accepted as just one of the facts of trade-life.
    Obed-Marsh Shipping: shipping company that work along the Celanon Spur and some of its side lance. Notable for only recruiting from species who are amphibious and that many employees have gold jewellery with aquatic motives.
    Lahara’s Honourable Spice Merchant Guild: as the name suggest, a organisation that deals with buying and selling of spices (they have also branched out into drink items like chocolate and caff beans and tea leafs). To bear the mark of Lahara’s Honourable Spice Merchant Guild, or as they are commonly known ‘the Spice Guild’, is to declare that the items you sell are of high quality and acquired in an honourable way (fair payment to the workers, minimal use of poisons, no landgrabbing or destruction of important ecologies involved). The Spice Guild has an army of inspectors to make certain that anybody and anything bearing the Spice Guild’s mark deserve it. Members of the Spice Guild are often recognised by the many spice filled pomanders they carry.
    The Han Saa trade-clan: A mainly duros trade-clan that have control of a majority of all the major shipping going on in the Lahara sector and its near area. They actually accept anybody, including non-duros, into the trade-clan that have shown themselves worthy, the downsides are that the Han Saa don’t like it when family members try to leave or try to marry outside of the trade-clan (just having a partner from outside the clan is something different and fully allowed). Colours are green with yellow highlights
    Have an ancient agreement with the Buru-Buru ryn who travel with them and whose demon-masked elite-warriors function as bodyguards to the trade-clan’s leaders and scions.

25. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    *bangs head against the wall*

Don't you hate it when you give characters what they want, then everyone else freezes up on you?

I think I may have traumatized one of them for good though...