main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    And after another lengthy travel without Wi-Fi, I am finally going home. Which means meesa back to writing, as well as the discussions.

But now to my question. I have my OC discussing the tactics against the FO with the remnants of the Republic military. Leia and Han are in the same room. Previously, I've had the same OC kill Kylo to save Han, which lead to Han and Leia hating her, telling her to go away and never see them again. However, the OC is willing to break that because she knows she is needed there( plus Luke is coming there too, as well as Rey). Which led me to wonder: how would they react to their former friend, as well as the killer of their son, showing up? Would they let their emotions gain the upper hand, get mad at her and shoo her away, regardless of what use she may be, or will their pragmatic side win, and they will still recognize her as an ally and let her stay, limiting their hatred to judging looks and occasional hurtful remarks?

DARTH_MU likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks, have you postat that in the 'Useful Tools and Resources for Writers' thread? I did not see it there.

Chyntuck likes this.
  3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Nope, but I'm on my way to post it there :p

EDIT DARTH_MU The map of the Galaxy I linked to for Gamiel, together with the Essential Atlas appendix, are as detailed as it gets -- which means that you can easily create your own sector because no one is crazy enough to go and check if it exists ;)

Gamiel likes this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That's absolutly true ;)

Chyntuck likes this.
  5. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I'm not entirely convinced that everything is mapped out in detail anyways--considering that the Galaxy is immensely huge, there is always room for unexplored or previously unknown sectors within an established area.

Daneira, Chyntuck and Gamiel like this.
  6. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Yes! You are back! Welcome back.

It all depends on your plot needs. If I were writing, maybe Leia or Han decides to leave the room, and Luke is able to convince one or both of them to stay?
    There's going to much yelling and screaming though.

FireKeeper likes this.
  7. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    Actually, that is an interesting idea. Not sure I want the screaming and yelling during a war council, in front of a few military figures. I'll think about it.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    In practice I have had to create the my own sector with my fanon regarding the Lahara sector*, so if you want any tips I have some.

*as seen in the Fanon thread #shameless_self_promotion

To ad to this, most sectors are not fully show in the books and are really, really big in practice, so you can easily make up your own sub-sector with many planets and organisations without it feeling crowded

Chyntuck likes this.
  9. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Is there any SW creature that is similar to a squirrel?

10. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    There is something called a Nelvaan squirrel which is basically like a squirrel; also, maybe the Tooke or Kushiban? Both are very rodent-like.

Chyntuck likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have found two creatures that seems to fill similar to squirrels but are not squirrel-like in shape. Would they be of interest?

Chyntuck likes this.
  12. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks gizkaspice :)

Gamiel Yes, please, I'd be interested. Tookas would probably do the trick for my story but if you have an animal that climbs on trees it would be even better.

13. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Chyntuck If you need something that also climbs on trees there is the Stintaril but it looks a bit less squirrel-like and more possum-like in appearance.

Chyntuck likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The two I found was the quizzer from Gamorr and the knytix from Thyferra

Chyntuck likes this.
  15. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks again!

16. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    OK, Fanfic hive mind... what might work well as an affectionate nickname that a teacher in a Force-based discipline might give to a student who is prone to sudden, violent visions, premonitions, nightmares, etc. (not all of which are necessarily true ones)? The only ones I seem able to come up with at the moment don't feel so affectionate—things like "little fever-brain." Thanks for anything you can suggest! :)

17. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    "Speshul Snowflake"?

18. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Findswoman

"Angry Loth-cat"
    "Little rancor"
    "Angry snowflake"
    "Tiny terror"
    "Special wookie"
    "Furious Tooke"
    "Tantruming tauntaun"

I'm making this up as I go along and have no idea if they're any good :p

Findswoman likes this.
  19. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Findswoman Would something along the lines of "little misty dreams" work? (if you're referring to the character I'm thinking of.)

20. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    pronker, Findswoman and Sith-I-5 like this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If it was in a setting based on our world I would suggest 'Cassandra'.

'Headcase' would not be affectionate
    Maybe 'Third eye'?
    'Prekog'? As in precognition
    'Moon dreamer'? Referring to that the moon in some beliefs are connected to visions (and madness)

pronker likes this.
  22. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Would you be willing to go all fanon?
    Then I give you:
    Kassandriola.

23. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    What about "Ellie"?

Seems like a cute affectionate name to me.

And sounds similar to ELE, which means Extinction Level Event.

If your student is male, the teacher does not have to reveal that in a Galaxy far far away, eg. here, Ellie is a girl's name.

Gamiel likes this.
  24. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks so much for the ideas, everyone—lots to work with here! The suggestions of Chyntuck and divapilot are closest to the sort of thing I'm looking for; Chyn, your guess about the character is a good one (and she certainly fits that description too) and I'm going to keep that nickname in mind for her, though in this particular case I was asking on behalf of a different character in a different story (though one with some similarities to the one you're thinking of). Again, many thanks. :)

25. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    The only recommendation I would make would be a semi-sarcastic nickname: "Little Miss Sunshine," or "The Eternal Optimist," for someone who has dark dreams and pessimism.

Sith-I-5, pronker and Findswoman like this.