main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm not sure if this the place or not, but I'm really struggling with the them words for Week 17. It's history/Archive ish series of words. The trouble is I'm also wrestling with disappointment with Disnesy canon in genereal and the new Episode 8 trailer in general. My snark factor is high. I kind of want to vent and that may be what I do with this group. Ugh. suggestions? :mad::confused:[face_frustrated][face_plain]:luke:

2. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Give in. Give in to the Snark Side of the Force. [face_laugh]

Sith-I-5 and brodiew like this.
  3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Breaking the fourth wall can be helpful at desperate times, I found.

4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    The more appropriate place would be the Scribble pad to complain about my evil drabble prompts. But I'm not too hurt. I'm stuck back on like week 11. The muse kinda just up and quit on me in terms of drabbles (and I think it was my own prompts that did it).

My muse has just kinda had a one track mind since the end of summer (West Wing vignettes involving mainly OCs... which is really odd for me since I RARELY use OCs) and I've been meaning to complain about it in the Scribble Pad. ANYWAYS.

5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I am stuck on week 11 too...for different reasons, though. So, you're not the only one - if that helps.

6. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
    Is there anything written in the new books that will give a hint as to when Luke's Jedi Academy was destroyed or the age difference between Rey and Kylo?

7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Someone more caught up on the books might be able to give you a more definite answer, but I know, as of Bloodline Kylo hadn't destroyed the Academy yet (and that takes place 6 years prior to TFA).

Also, it is established that Kylo was born in 5ABY and Rey in 15 ABY, so about 10 years difference.

8. Carlos Danger

Carlos Danger Jedi Master star 2

Jul 25, 2013
    Thank you. That helps me a lot! :)

9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I have a question relating to a Rogue One bit character and his species, namely Paodok'Draba'Takat (Pao for short) and the Drabatans. There is barely anything about them currently on the Wook, so I thought I would see what folks here think.

Basically, I'm trying to create Pao's mother (or possibly grandmother). The Wook gives Pao's age at the time of R1 as 31. Now obviously, he dies in battle before his time, but I am wondering whether that age is old or young for a Drabatan, and what their lifespan might be. Given the relative ages of many of the other R1ers (Jyn is 21, Bodhi is 25, and Cassian is 26—though I know both Baze and Chirrut are older), do you think it would be kosher for me to just treat Pao's 31 as equivalent to a Human 31 and come up with his mom's age based on that (maybe put her in her mid-50s ca. 0 ABY)? Would it be safer to make the character his grandmother? Or should I try for something altogether more alien? (E.g., Pao's really just an adolescent in R1, his species doesn't usually bear children till at least 45 or 50, etc.). Thanks for any thoughts you all may have. :)

And in addition to this, I am curious to know whether the GFFA has anything so far akin to a sewing machine. Is this one of those cases where it's OK to just use the Earth term "sewing machine," or has some equivalent device with a more interesting name already been established? (And yes, this is related: the Drabatan is going to be a seamstress.)

10. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I think it would be fine to just call it a sewing machine. Because "sewing machine" = "machine that sews". Does what it says on the tin.

Findswoman and Tarsier like this.
  11. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Findswoman Textile droids and tailor droids are a thing in the GFFA; maybe Pao's mother could be using a somewhat archaic version of textile droids? You may also want to have a look at the comic Union; I don't remember the details but with all that dress-hunting there should be a reference, somewhere, to the GFFA equivalent of a sewing machine.

Sith-I-5 and Findswoman like this.
  12. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Drabatans are amphibian, maybe he was hatched? There was a reference in one of the X-wing novels (Krytos Trap?) where the ladies are shopping on Coruscant and ordering dresses which are being customized for them in the store, I assumed through some type of droid or machine.

Sith-I-5 and Findswoman like this.
  13. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    What level of face washing would waterproof lipstick just laugh at, and what would clean it off?

14. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I think it would depend on the soap. If you're just rinsing with water, then yes, waterproof. But if you're using a soap or some type of makeup remover, they're formulated to break it all down. Like eye makeup remover... waterproof mascara stays on unless you use the specialized remover. Or baby oil (which I use because I hate spending a fortune on specialized stuff). An oil or alcohol based formula might remove it.

Gamiel and Sith-I-5 like this.
  15. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks for the replies, Cowgirl Jedi 1701, Chyntuck, and Mistress_Renata —that's very helpful, and those textile and tailor droids sound like just the right thing that would be helping in a GFFA seamstress's shop. As for his possibly being hatched—Renata, I take it that would that mean that maybe his mother's age would be less important than if he were born? Just asking to make sure that's what you meant, and again thanks. :)

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  16. Mistress_Renata

Sep 9, 2000
    I was thinking more along the lines of her watching over the eggs while she was working. Didn't really think about her age at all.

Findswoman likes this.
  17. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I have a weird question...what kind of weapons could be added to an Eclipse model sail barge? (Yes, this question is based upon my entry for the Sea Shanty Challenge.) I don't just want to cut and paste the same variety of weapons that could be found on Jabba's sail barge. My character is a displaced agricultural worker who takes up piracy on her homeworld in order to get back at the Empire. She plunders, but she doesn't murder. The Eclipse model is supposed to have the option for add-on weapons...I just don't know what weapons would be appropriate.

Findswoman and yahiko like this.
  18. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I'd probably go with heavy blaster cannons mounted to the side, like what Luke uses to destroy the whole thing in Jedi. Probably even a couple deck-mounted rocket launchers if she can get them.

Findswoman and leiamoody like this.
  19. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    Those look like good ideas, thanks. :)

Findswoman likes this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe: automatic harpon cannon, bolt* thrower cannon, net launcher, automatic bola caster

* as in crossbow bolt.

Findswoman and leiamoody like this.
  21. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    Also very good ideas. I think I've got my weapons complement between these two posts. Thanks, guys. :)

Findswoman likes this.
  22. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    leiamoody - the 'Falcon's concealed blaster cannon?

23. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    Not exactly sure how that would work, but okay.

24. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Well, there is no need to deploy it, unless your barge is being attacked from underneath. Unless it is on water, in which case, never mind.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would also suggest glue cannon, and why not take a look at the quote from the Fanon thread below for some ideas for unusuall weapons

gizkaspice likes this.