main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I just checked the RotS script and the scene where Obi-Wan changes the signal takes place just after the proclamation of the Empire. To me this implies that he's aware of the proclamation at that point; but it does give you the leeway to interpret it differently :)

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    So, what do you folks do when the story demands that you kill off a minor canon character, who does die in Legends and it's strongly implied that something happens to them in Canon, too? Does the story automatically become an AU because of this one little thing or not?

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    If you deviate from something that is known, then it is AU.

If, as one of the RP games that I was in for four years, seemed to do, you do events that arguably could have been going on elsewhere in the galaxy, without interfering with canon or Legends, then I would not necessarily call it AU.

4. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  5. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    My unwritten rule when it comes to writing or RPGs is this: I keep to the canon (in my case, Legends) until the second that my pen hits the paper. After that, it's a crapshoot. 90% of the time, I'll keep with it if there's nothing the characters can do about it, but if the way you write your story "demands" that something happen to a character, all the power to you.

6. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    On a related Legends/Canon note:

What are people's thoughts on mixing and matching characters from either universe (for example, having a Talon Karrde fic but featuring Cassian Andor)? I'm thinking more in terms of writing an AU story where many of the characters are based very much on Legends but I would like to feature characters who only appear in Canon (I am thinking about Chirrut and Baze). Would this mess with people's heads?

I feel it is okay, especially considering all the Legends characters that have been filtering into the new Canon via Rebels (you know Who I'm talking about!) but would sure be interested to hear others thoughts.

Also, I'm back. Sort of.

7. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    welcome back!

As to your question, I see no reason why you can't do it. As far as we know, the jury is out as to whether those Legends characters are actually "real" or not. Talon may well exist in the NuCanon universe; we just haven't seen him yet. No reason why Baze and Chirrut can't interact with Legends characters. You might have to tweak it a little to align. Maybe Tionne is on Jedha looking for an artifact, for example; she probably isn't a Jedi but maybe she is a member of the Church of the Force and is working for a young Lor San Tekka.

8. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    gaarastar58 I think wheter its an AU or just a story within one of the canons depends on which characters specfically you want to transfere.
    If the characters can reasonably exsists within the other canon it should work, like for example, there is no reason why Chirrut and Baze couldn´t exsist in Ledgends (though in Ledgends they probably weren´t involved in stealing the death star plans). So I guess you could call that a Ledgends story. Though if you take characters who are not that easy to fit in I would say its an AU, for example if you want to bring Jacen and Jaina into the new canon or Kylo into the old I would say that´s an AU, given that these characters clearly don´t exsist in the other universe.
    As for Talon Karrde again I think he could easily work within the new canon, just that in the NEU timeline he might never became that important as in Ledgends, explaining why he is never mentioned. Characters can have different "destynies" in the two timelines, as Thrawn for example is, in the NEU already a Grand Admiral by the time of rebels, while in Ledgends he only became one around two years after ANH.
    So I guess as long as the character can reasonably fit within the other canon it shouldn´t cause any problems, while in more problematic cases I would call it an AU.

9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Wonderful to see you back, gaarastar58! :)

I second (third? fourth?) what the others have said. There’s nothing wrong at all with mixing Canon and Legends, and I don’t think it would mess with people’s heads at all. On the contrary, it can be done quite effectively and creatively, and the examples of such mixing that I’ve seen done here on the boards were all very well done. (I’m planning to do a bit myself in upcoming works, though more with mixing what the different continuities do with aliens and alien cultures— which is admittedly something different from what you’re talking about.)

Looking forward to seeing the results of your plans, and again, welcome back! :)

Mistress_Renata and Ewok Poet like this.
  10. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    I'm not a fan of characters, but--perhaps somewhat hypocritically--I have been thinking of referencing a ship or two. The exception of course, is if I do something for comedy, then there's certainly a canon character and a Legends character that will meet.

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Welcome back, gaarastar58 ... that is one awesome idea and I would totally read it if you wrote it. [face_batting] How the character(s)' lives would differ but their personalities still be somewhat familiar -- [face_dancing] All kinds of interesting!!! [face_party]

Talon and Mara would be fascinating changed/still the same LOL

gaarastar58 likes this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
  13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    What is the most plausible protocol droid series to use in 5 ABY?

14. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I expect the Cybot Galactica' Threepio series to still be highly respected and trusted.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anybody here know if the Chinese word for 'carpenter' can be used as a last name? And if so, what is the translation of 'carpenter'? (I don't trust google tranlate)

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    My Maximum Inc. & DivaDroid Interstellar have series of protocol droids. Maximum inc. has (among others that I have not come up with) the Pav series, of which the Pav-10 is the most populare since it is highly competent (if a bit wilful), DivaDroid's Kry-10 is a sanitation droid but can be used for protocol duties and they have protocol droids but I have not come up with any jet.

17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Thank you, both of you. I'll think about it a little more. :)

Another question, since I don't feel like going through the whole of the Thrawn book before catching up with Rebels: what exactly happens on Nubia in the book?

Also...whoa, Lucasfim, go home, you're drunk: according to the Wook's Legends section, Wild Space is charted and the Unknown Regions aren't, while it's the opposite in Canon. Why couldn't they sync this somehow? #LOL #FAIL [face_rofl]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  18. gaarastar58

gaarastar58 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2010
    I'm afraid I can't help @Ewok Poet as it's been ages since I read Thrawn :(

My question is: how powerful are force ghosts/how much can they interact with reality?

We see Yoda summon lightning and tap Luke with his walking stick - could this indicate that force ghosts have some ability to manifest other abilities as well?

What abilities do you think force ghosts could have, could they use force powers themselves to some extent, or perhaps use their mastery to assist a less-experienced force-user?

19. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Maybe it depends on who it is? Some masters might be more powerful than others...?

20. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Interesting question. Qui-Gon apparently was the one who discovered how to make the ghosts manifest and yet I don’t recall him actually appearing in any significant way except his voice. It does appear to be relayed to the strength of the individual Jedi. (And sith force ghosts? No? That would be annoying...)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Ewok Poet and gaarastar58 like this.
  21. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Was it Qui Gon thought? If I remember correctly there have been force ghosts many years prior to Qui Gon, (like master Pernicar who appaered to Lord Hoth) at least in Legends. I think the official reason that he couldn't appaer in person was that he hadn't finished whatever process is needed to become a force ghost before he died so it was only his voice. Apparently Obi Wan and Yoda did figure out the whole thing so they could project an image of them. Though this doesn't explain how Anakin managed it as he likeley never learned these things from anyone. Same goes for Luke in Legacy, maybe its because they where very strong in the force.

As for Sith force ghosts weren't there some of those in the crypts on Korriban in KOTOR 1?

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Ain't all that OEU? Which means that don't apply to the NEU, right?

23. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    @Gamiel The (former) Grand Inquistior appaers as a redeemed force spirit in Rebels and if I remember correctly something like a shadow of Darth Bane appaers in Clone Wars. Both of which are part of the NEU, so I guess it applies here as well, also Luke and Anakin don´t seem to have gotten any of Qui Gons training in the NEU as well.

24. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    The thing is, it seems that just when you think you have the Force figured out, something happens that reminds you that the Force is the Force, and regardless of what you think you know, it just does whatever it kriffing wants.

Unrelated: Does anyone know if there's a procedure for if you want to randomly dare a specific person to write a plot bunny?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  25. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    There isn't. But I've certainly seen people do it, either when something comes up in a discussion and someone says "I dare you to write that." or you could always PM someone and ask if you could send them a dare bunny.

Or you could hold onto it until we do the DARE challenge again, but it wouldn't be to a specific person that way.

Ewok Poet likes this.