main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Can anyone tell me what the GFFA equivalent of linen would be? As in for clothing?

2. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    @brodiew I don't have a proper answer to your question but there's a list of materials and textiles in the GFFA here.

Snocone likes this.
  3. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Thanks, @Chyntuck! I think I'll stick with linen. So many silks...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That's what I would do

5. NobodyIX

NobodyIX Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 19, 2018
    Would a character receive a mailed 'letter' in the Star Wars universe from someone else? Or would it be a hologram? I've been searching different sites but I can't find anything. Thanks!

6. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    @NobodyIX Stuff handwritten on paper is a thing in the GFFA, both in Canon and Legends. In TLJ there are those old Jedi books, in Legends there's the whole library of Csilla. That being said, I've only used handwritten and hand-carried letters in the Saga era when there was an in-universe justification for it. For instance one of the individuals involved in the correspondence was an artist and she made her own paper (thus handwritten letters), and the messages had to travel between the Unknown Regions and the Core so the SW equivalent of email was not an option (thus hand-carried). I might have been too much of a purist about it though. I mean, parcels can't be sent by electronic means, so why not letters?

Flyboy240, NobodyIX and Tarsier like this.
  7. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    @NobodyIX I seem to remember hearing somewhere that when filming the OT, George Lucas said there was no paper in the GFFA. But that seems to have been relaxed somewhat at some point. I generally like to use flimsi instead of paper, but I think you are okay using either one. If you're wondering about the mail service, I'm not aware of any galaxy-wide or government-run system, but I assume there are a variety of private delivery companies.

Snocone and NobodyIX like this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think we have seen E-mails

NobodyIX likes this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    There are emails, there is flimsi, but there is paper, too. I always have the more eccentric among my characters use paper and other characters being confused about it. And my Ewoks use parchment scrolls, like they do in the cartoon.

I also created an instant messaging system called HyperYak, where the usernames/IDs are called "yakhandles". There is an email address associated to each account, Hotmail-style, with the domain name being hyperyak.gal.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Sith-I-5, NobodyIX and Gamiel like this.
  10. NobodyIX

Feb 19, 2018
    Thank you so much! Since it has to be delivered, I don't think I can do hyperyak. love the name!:D @Tarsier That is good that there is a method of delivery. Could it be a small holovid, that can be activated upon receipt? I'm envisioning a small cylindrical object with a button to push to get the message, video or picture?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  11. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Yes - holograms come in various shapes and sizes. (I mean, even if there wasn't canon on point, you could always make it up. :))

NobodyIX and Ewok Poet like this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Now I am sitting here thinking if Snoke's better hologram technology had been around all along, just available with, I dunno, better hardware.

NobodyIX, Flyboy240 and Tarsier like this.
  13. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Transporting anything through space from point A to point B is probably super expensive, so I think traditional letters on flimsi are probably either a) the prerogative of the ridiculously wealthy, b) for special, diplomatic/ceremonial reasons or c) handed off to someone who happens to be going in that direction & you hope it gets there. I always figure that the GFFA's equivalent of email is more common, since messages can beamed through space along relay points (in one story, I had the messages backing up after the destruction of Alderaan, since there was no way for them to be delivered). Destroying a relay point could seriously mess up system communications, if you're evil. Or Rebellious.

Now a planetary based postal system, that's a different story, much more likely, although I still think that most developed worlds will prefer some sort of digital/electronic component.

Flyboy240, Gamiel, NobodyIX and 2 others like this.
  14. Snocone

Snocone Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 14, 2015
    @NobodyIX I've often seen as well as used flimsi (short for flimsiplast) sheets in poor communities like the slave quarters of Mos Espa. Otherwise, people use datapads (tablets, I suppose) to send messages to each other. The messages can be holovids, audio-only, whatever.

Don't forget datacards, either! I imagine they're floppy discs. They, along with "tapes" (as opposed to something futurey like "holographic visual records") give the story a fun retro feel and are totally canon as a plus.

Flyboy240, Gamiel and NobodyIX like this.
  15. NobodyIX

Feb 19, 2018
    @Snocone I like the datacard! I think that works perfectly (it can be delivered rather than sent as a transmission.) Thank you everyone, I really appreciate it.

Snocone likes this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would suggest if you want to conway something old, primitive or traditional to use 'scroll' instead of paper or letter

NobodyIX likes this.
  17. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Er, didn't something-Supervisor Grammel have precisely that, in Splinter Of The Mind's Eye?

Used it to show an argument between his miners, and Luke and Leia?

Edit: I'm withdrawing my squad name suggestion, Force 10 From Pui-Ui, as I am already developing it. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    NobodyIX and Mistress_Renata like this.
  18. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    In the situation where a senior officer is giving a speech at the graduation ceremony of military cadets, how does s/he address the audience? Is there a military equivalent of "ladies and gentlemen"?

19. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    Distinguished Guest and members of the service.

brodiew and Chyntuck like this.
  20. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A Spider-Man question: do anybody know who was his closest supporting cast in the early 80's?

22. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    In the novel 'Bloodline', the one about Leia and not 'Bloodlines' from LotF and Legends, someone gave Leia a message that she found in her napkin at a breakfast written on paper in real handwriting and she immediately thinks of how rare paper and ink messages are and tries to figure out who would have made it. So i am guessing that most things in Star Wars are done electronically either via a datacard or E-Mail.

If you're still looking for names was Mynock suggested saboteurs?

23. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    Comics or TV show?

24. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    I am currently editing the next chapter of Revelations( I have finally finished it, yay! ) . I do feel like one thing is missing though. During the reunion with Luke, almost all interactions are with my OC( whom he knew before), with Rey standing at the background. I don't like it. Are there any ideas on how to involve Rey in the whole reunion thing?

EDIT: The solution came to me just as I posted this. Have Luke greet her himself.

EDIT2: Still... Having him suddenly change subject after asking Nyros on how did they find him would be not so different from the "Anyway, how is your sex life?" line from the Room. Damn it. Everything must be smooth and flow perfectly! This is Luke, unlike Ruin Johnson, I must do him justice! Frak my writings...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Therese was a SM TV-show in the early 80's?