main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Snocone

Snocone Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 14, 2015
    Sorry, I wasn't too clear with my philosophy: I agree--there shouldn't be glaring plot holes. But the original trilogy had plot holes, and those movies were still great because they were supported by strong characters and a solid, fun overall story. (The special effects didn't hurt, either; but those are a dime a dozen nowadays.)

The great thing about writing is that you have the space to explain things like backstory and sequence of events without showing it in action (though I try to visualize my writing as a screenplay to see if it would still be understandable without all the narrative explanation). The drawback with writing is that people have the ability to look back a few pages to see the error in logic the author may have forgotten to explain. That's why I tend to focus on characters and current/present story without delving into extraneous details and lore (unless, of course, they are intimately relevant).

Anyways. Let me try to get the current facts straight about this thing.
    - "Little knowledge is preserved to these days about the artifact's creator." - That works for the reader, but it's always good to know a whole lot more than them haha.
    - "Luke only found out about this artifact in ancient texts" - Cool, ok. Where are the texts from? It looks like Luke's sole motive with the artifact is to seal Snoke's essence (soul? Midichlorians? ;)) away because he's super bad.
    - You didn't like Luke's characterization in 7 and 8, so you're trying to deepen it and give him a better motive.
    - There may be two independent "schools of thought" when it comes to the Force: Tython and Ahch-To.

So then... perhaps only someone who studied the Ahch-To line of thinking could find the artifact? Maybe Luke's training originated from Tython, which is why he can't understand the ancient texts or find the artifact?

2. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Well in Afthermath Temmin Wexley chrashes his X-Wing during the battle of Jakku, though I'm not sure if there is anything that suggests its the one from the picture.

Chyntuck likes this.
  3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks @Anedon @divapilot :) I've spent my afternoon on the Wook (instead of working [face_blush] ) and it looks like it could be any number of people, including Dosmit Ræh and Temmin Wexley as you suggested, but there's nothing definitive there... which means that I can make my new plot bunny work! [face_dancing]

4. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    I know that I can explain, but I am also worried about the limitations of the 1st person POV( the story is told from my OC's POV). When I try to write in 1st person, I try to emulate how a real person would think. Like, thoughts either caused by external events or emotions, or come from previous thoughts. I am not sure if this is going to look natural if all of a sudden my OC switches from reflecting on how to find the artifact to the creator of the artifact. How do I do this?

As for where Luke got these texts, my OC never bothered to ask him because she's too worried about him and overwhelmed by emotions about finally finding him, besides they had a small argument on whether or not it was the right thing to do for her to kill Kylo( she had a vision about Han dying, followed Han all the way to the Starkiller base, fought and killed Kylo before Han could encounter him, much to Han and Leia's anger and sadness), with Luke not being happy about her killing his nephew.

Well, Snoke in my fanfic is an incorporeal being that can switch between physical hosts, so killing him the usual way isn't enough. That's why Luke wants to do anything with the artifact at all.

As for studying the Ahch-To school, it could be problematic because Nyros is the less scholarly one, she is more about fighting, action and other things. There will be a more scholarly character much later, but he's not on this planet, and he cannot escape the place he is in on his own. The closest thing I can think of is about Nyros' views on the Force actually being closer to the Ahch-To way, because she partially believes in sacrificing personal purity( aka personal Light Sidedness) to protect the innocent, and rather than following the will of the Force, she is more about bending it for the good of the Republic. This could set her apart from the more traditional Jedi philosophies, and might be the key. What do you think?

Snocone likes this.
  5. Snocone

Snocone Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 14, 2015
    Ah, so it's in first-person. No omniscient narrator, then? Still, it would be beneficial, I think, to have much more data about central pieces of your story (i.e. the artifact) in your own mind, even if your character doesn't know much about them. Helps keep the story straight. To accomplish more exposition about the creator of the artifact, you'll need your character to research its origin or hear about it somehow. Holocrons help with this. I know the creator of that artifact may not have had a holocron, but I'm sure they could have created some other device that stores records or data or memories. After all, they were able to create something that stores a person's soul. [face_nail_biting]

All right, so your character doesn't know where Luke got the texts, but do you?

I'm not sure who Nyros is but I'm guessing she's your OC. That solution--that she's a student of Ahch-To Force traditions--sounds good to me. Though I'm not sure what you mean by "sacrificing personal purity to protect the innocent."

PS. if you'd rather PM me about all this instead of filling up the board, feel free. :)

6. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    Misread it, thought you'd raher I PMed you. Anyway, replied in PM.

7. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Okay, here's a wicked question. What would be a properly starwarsy name for a walkman in the GFFA? For those who are too young to remember walkmans, they were clunky portable audio cassette players that we used to listen to music back in the day when everything wasn't digital and wireless (and they were the height of cool circa 1985 :p ). A million and one brownie points to anyone who comes up with a starwarsy word that 1. describes the function and 2. conveys this sense of old-fashioned tech that has since been replaced by diskmans, iPods, smartphones and whatnot.

mavjade likes this.
  8. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Cardman? As in, like, data cards?

I dunno. Maybe that's lame.

Chyntuck likes this.
  9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    @Chyntuck - I would just add that function to the wrist-link / wrist-communicator.

Wrist-player, for junior versions.

If you have an astromech handy, I don't see why one can't hold a musical collection.
    *Aga doo doo doo, push banana, shake da tree-*

LUKE Hey, where'd it go? Bring it back!

C-3PO Artoo says the restraining bolt is short circuiting him. He suggests that if you take it off, he can play the rest of the album.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  10. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    @Sith-I-5 But that's the thing; the character in question doesn't have a multi-function wrist-link. He's someone who's using a walkman in the age of smartphones.

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    What about a mix of the fact that it's playing tunes/songs and that's it's audio only, not digital or video capable. [face_thinking]

Chyntuck likes this.
  12. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    So he literally is using a tape cassette, but in SW?

Music Brick.

13. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
  14. Flyboy240

Flyboy240 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 6, 2017
    Datataper?

Something involving tapes for sure. It can be difficult to keep 70's and 80's tech in mind when writing Star Wars stuff.

15. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Portaspool

16. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
  17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Best one so far.

18. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    Could someone please tell me, a person who is bad at social interaction, how akward is it to ask your friend and unrequited crush( who knows he is your unrequited crush) about the women he had before his wife? It feels awkward as hell to me, but I wonder if I am overly exaggerating things. Geez, I am clueless when it comes to talking to people.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  19. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  20. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

21. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    Was married. Now his wife is presumed dead.
    Also, I alreafy got the answer to my question elsewhere, I guess it's really awkward.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  22. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone! So many great ideas from you all, but @Kurisan wins the brownie points (and gave me a plot bunny in the process!)

23. Kurisan

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

24. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Totally the exploding batteries. The self-igniting Samsung phone has nothing on audiobulbs.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Does "To Really Belong" sound like a decent title for a Rebels fic, or would something of the following be better?
    • - To Trully be
    • - The Other Family
    • - Second Chance

Or something else? I SUCK at tiles.

Послато са SM-J510FN уз помоћ Тапатока

EDIT: Fixed spelling, added an ordered list and italics when I got home.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018