main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Some historical facts, that migth be of inspiration -
    According to lordsandladies.org regarding knightly training: "At the age of 7 young boys were sent away to the castles and homes of wealthy lords or relatives to embark on their knighthood training. From the age of seven to fourteen these young boys were given the role of a Medieval Page. From fourteen to twenty-one these 'apprentice knights' were referred to as Squires . The different types and styles of Knighthood training depended on the age and strength of the apprentice knights. Knighthood training was focussed on weapon practise which included enhancing skills in horsemanship, the two-handed sword, battle axe, mace, dagger and lance."

and according to tampere.fi regarding samurai training: "Small Samurai began practising the basics of fencing with wooden swords at the age of 3, being given a real weapon, a mamorigatana sword for self-defence, between the ages of 5 and 7. A child had to be able to protect itself from surrounding dangers, family enemies, robbers and vagrants, with his father and male relatives providing early combat training. Boys were sent to be raised by relatives or to the home of a fencing instructor, where they were taught military tactics, archery, riding, handling a spear and unarmed combat, jujutsu, i.e. yawara. Attention was also paid to the development of intellectual virtues."

2. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    How big do you think a Jedi Academy would be nearly 20 years after being established? In particular, if you were going to divide it up into age levels similar to school classes/school years, how many children do you think would be in each “class”? If it matters, this is an alternate universe where the new Jedi Academy is on Lothal under Kanan’s leadership (because the events of Season 4 never happened) and Ben Solo is just a brooding Emo teen.

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @Raissa Baiard [face_party] [face_party] CHUFFED that you're plotting such a thing. [face_love] I don't have hard and fast numbers but I would think just like in IRL -- you want a good ratio of teachers to students and a mix of students living there versus "commuting" -- and as students leave you get a sense of continuing growth because here are a new crop of younglings. I'd say start early but not TOO early -- take them in no younger than 6 standard years of age. [face_thinking]

LOL So we'll get to see /read more about Ronen crushing on Noemi [face_laugh] [face_mischief]

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    This is surely going to be a hoot! [face_dancing]

5. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I think after 20 years there might be upward of 100 students. The largeness of the PT Order came from generations seeding. Even after 20 years I don't know that the Order would be very large.Especially starting at ground zero. Perhaps 100 is low, but I don't think it be much more. Also with Kanan and Ezra and Luke being the only Jedi active in seeding the new Academy. Ugh, I keep doubting my numbers.
    The class sizes could be as small as 10-20 given the low number of instructors. Is Ahsoka still alive in your AU?

6. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    There are a few other Jedi, at least, in this universe. Part of this universe is based on the fact that Mara Jade was never taken from her family to become the Emperor’s Hand. Her father was a fugitive Jedi (he’s the “Master Blayne” Ronen refers to in his journal, and he shares Head Master duties with Kanan), and he married and trained a Force-Senisitive woman. Thus Mara and her brother and sister are Jedi as well. So the active Jedi number about eight, though that’s still pretty low. I haven’t quite decided what to do about Ahsoka yet. (Her fate is revealed in Season 4, but since the events don’t happen in this universe, I’m not exactly sure where that puts her :p)

I think your estimate seems pretty reasonable. Some planets might still be resistant to the Jedi and there’s no systematic way to find new candidates with such a small staff. So maybe 5 or 6 kids of any given age, and some young adults.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think you are overestimating it. I would say no bigger then 60 students.

brodiew and Findswoman like this.
  8. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Sounds good too me. I figured it would be a 100 or less. ;)

9. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    What makes you think the number would be that low, just out of curiosity?

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The way I see it so is being a Jedi knight something you need to have loots of knowledge behind you, it is not just the Force changeling stuff, the philosophical bit and self-control. There is also diplomatic knowledge, cultural knowledge (even if that will probably be rather shallow if broad since there are so many cultures in GFFA and you can use protocol droids for deeper understanding), law, and basic combat knowledge. And that is taking in to account that many of them also learn investigative skills, flying, electronics, survival skills and similar. All this take times* and you don't have that many teacher.
    * especially if you need them at that level that you can send them out as padawans to a Jedi knight (I would say no more the three padawans per knight) and they both survive and not make fools of themselves.

Of course you can probably skip the law and cultural part if you have them being accompanied by protocol droid and a law droid constantly.

Raissa Baiard likes this.
  11. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I agree with Gamiel.

12. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Sooo, sodden £1,600 Versace' 100% silk dress with beaded detail, lining of 60% rayon, 40% silk...can you stick it in a drier?

13. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    That’s a big no. Silk and beading...you’d better have that dry cleaned. I don’t know about expensive Versace dresses, but my mom used to make wedding dresses. Driers are not kind to delicate beading or silk. If you absolutely had to, you’d better put it on the lowest heat.

Mistress_Renata and pronker like this.
  14. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Oh my! Any one of those details says no, but all of them together ... *faints*

15. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    pronker and Raissa Baiard like this.
  16. Sgt.Matt

Sgt.Matt Jedi Master star 2

May 12, 2018
    I’ve a question regarding Fanfiction; How does one post their written work into the community?

Snocone, brodiew, pronker and 2 others like this.
  17. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Welcome, Sgt.Matt!

You find the sub-forum that best suits your work, go in, and look for the Post New Thread link somewhere on the top right of the screen that shows other people's stories.

brodiew, pronker and Findswoman like this.
  18. Sgt.Matt

May 12, 2018
    Well thank you kindly friend, i cannot wait to publish my first short story in the community

Snocone, Sith-I-5, brodiew and 2 others like this.
  19. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Drops ded from sheer horror of the thought of that

Also @Sgt.Matt you might want to check out the Welcome New Users post here
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...-now-with-a-quick-guide-to-era-tags.50034038/
    In case you have any questions about formats and general rules.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  20. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    @Sgt.Matt Welcome to a fine and friendly community. :)

21. Sgt.Matt

May 12, 2018
    Thank you comrade , it’s great to be in a community with friends that love Star Wars

22. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm looking for some inspiration for a potential fic I have brewing (or at least trying to brew).

Does anyone who has been married/in the process of planning a big wedding( ;) )/has been heavily involved in a wedding planning process have any stories of super stressful wedding planning moments, maybe a disagreement the brides/grooms to be got into. Not like super dramatic "breaking off of the wedding stuff" but something that just puts a kink in all the already stressful planning process. I want to set this fic about 1-2 months before the wedding, but timelines can be changed.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  23. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I only have one.A good friend was marrying a fellow in Scotland, and having been trained as a costume designer, she was making her own wedding dress. She was very careful to research her future husband's tartan, since his family would be wearing kilts to the wedding. She got some brocade, and made her gown to match/complement the colors of his family tartan. Only two days before the wedding, her fiance came back from the tux rental shop (he & the groomsmen were renting their kilts), and he'd rented an alternate family tartan, which didn't match at all. She was fit to be tied, that he'd messed up the color scheme.

Very small problem in the grand scheme of things, wedding went off just fine, she looked stunning, no one cared.

You could have someone get a rash (poison ivy type stuff?) or issues with bridesmaids/shower gifts or something...

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  24. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks! Unfortunately the groom in my story is Latino/Polish and the bride is Filipino, so (unfortunately) no tartans to be had in this fic.

And someone will already getting the flu in my fic.

Edit: And now I'm imagining my OC (the groom who is a wheelchair user) wearing a kilt to his ultra-conservative Catholic wedding. I'm both horrified but killing myself laughing.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Snocone and mavjade like this.
  25. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Jury duty notices can add distress ... [face_coffee]

In RL, I know of a couple, both American Catholics, but the bride came from an Italian Catholic background and the groom from a German Catholic background, which led to various cultural clashes during wedding planning. They remained married 40 years until his passing.@};-