main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. -thor-

-thor- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    To be frank I associate all those tech stuff more with the dawning industrial age. Steam engines signify (for me) the beginning of that age and IIRC telegraphy became all the rage only once the steam age had thoroughly begun. So pre-industrial invokes a more agrarian image in my mind and an age when either wealth and land ownership (= aristocracy) or an early form of (pseudo) democracy were the norm and less the exception. Think of how the British Empire was … political power depended more on personal wealth than anything and women weren't allowed to vote until post WW1 (similarly to the Wilhelminian Empire in Germany but there "Democracy" was more of a fig leaf than reality).

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I admitt I'm no expert but acording to wikipedia so was the first commercially successful steam powered device, built by Thomas Savery in 1698.
    semaphore lines, not telegraph lines

The industrial era was, until post-WWII, much an agrarian world - even if the agricultural reformations in the 18th and 19th-centery made agriculture more productive, "freeing" lots of people from working in the countryside who instead go to the cites where many of them have to find work in factories – where large portions of the population lived in the countryside and worked with creating food. And think of all the farm implements that was developed, refined or just made available to a cheeper price. :-B

3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    How would we translate the slang expression "Queen Bee" to GFFA lingo?

4. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Empress of the Vratix

Snocone and -thor- like this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    do you mean for a school environment, a business environment, or a different kind of social environment?

-------------------------

Because I'm pedantic and I feel I could have wrote this better I would like to ad that while the industrial era was an agrarian world for most of it it was at the same time much an urban era with the city populations growing into numbers never seen before in most of Europe. :-B[face_beatup]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  6. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    You have the right idea with the stuttering and the combination of showing over telling. When you see someone crying, speech is usually furthest from their mind. Their emotions take over and many times renders them speechless. And when they try to speak in mid-cry, the words come out gibberish. I have a Non-SW fan fic I am writing in the Timeless show world and I have a character who hasn't seen her sister in over a year and thought she was lost forever. See how I balanced the dialogue and crying here:

Lucy waited in anticipation as a figure emerged from behind the door. Female of average height. Looked to be in her late twenties. Long auburn hair that was tied in a ponytail. The woman then looked into Lucy's eyes.

Immediately, Lucy lost her breath. In an instant she was experiencing a hundred emotions all at once. She didn't know which one to feel first. She started to breath, finally, but in harder bursts. The next stage was the whimpering that turned quickly into sobs. Lucy put her hand to her mouth. Tears soon ran over her fingers as she cried harder. The weight of emotions became too heavy for her to bear. Her knees buckled and she fell to the floor.

The woman finally spoke, tears in her own eyes. "Hey, sis."

Lucy knew her name. She made it a point to remember it and everything else about her. Her name barely escaped her lips at the moment. "A..A...Amy?"

"Yes." She went over to Lucy and bent down to hug her.

Lucy held Amy tightly in her arms. She gasped at the feel of her sister in her presence for the first time in more than a year.

I personally don't use much dialogue in crying scenes. I tend to emphasize the emotions they're feeling. I did tell you she cried harder, but by then you already knew she was. I was just setting that up for the next sentence where she literally broke down to the floor.

What I'm most proud of is that there are two other characters who are witness to this scene, and I really made their reactions subtle.

Connor tried to hide the wiping of his eyes by feigning to scratch his nose. He explained, "If you had disappeared from existence, Lucy, we would know."

Agent Christopher shoved a tissue in her pocket. She added, "According to Amy, you disappeared about the same time when Connor's lab exploded."

See, never once did I mention that they had tears as well. Just showed their reactions to hint at it.

Hope this helps!

ThisIsMe1138 and divapilot like this.
  7. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    Yeah, these are all great, thanks people :D[face_love]

Findswoman likes this.
  8. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Is there a GFFA canine (or other creature) that would be a good service animal or a creature that might act like a guard dog? This would be for a human to use.

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  9. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    My go-to, tend to be Vornsk.

If you want to be extreme, you can use Akk Dogs, and as long as you are going nowhere near the *******, rathtar.

Kahara likes this.
  10. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I wonder if the massiff would work?

11. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Hmmmm interesting ideas. This creature would need to be very loyal and protective of its owner, and could be trusted around children. Kind of a pet off duty, but threaten the owner and you’re in trouble and would also alert the owner if trespassers came by.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Kahara, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  12. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    As far as guard dogs, there's the nek and the anooba
    ETA:
    Bassa hound
    Canoid

Or, ooh, my personal (fanon-ish) favorite, the pygmy roba! :D Loyal, protective, and intelligent; very trainable. Part-pig, part-dog, all heart! [face_love]

13. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Mm. I am now inspired to do something with that cat with the massive teeth, the Nexu from Attack of the Clones.

Kahara and Snocone like this.
  14. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Hmmm. A pygmy roba might work as the service animal, with a couple of well-trained anoobas protecting the house and the occupants. Thank you!!:D

15. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I mean, it's not the most exciting, but technically dogs are canon...

This is pure fanon, but I figure if there are pittens, there must also be kuppies....:p

pronker, Kahara, Ewok Poet and 3 others like this.
  16. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    How about a strill for variety?

17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    You do understand that I'm tempted to use this, huh? :p

Kahara, Tarsier and divapilot like this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    From which planet/Culture? Humans can come from many different places you know

19. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I think Kath Hounds could work. They are described as generally not very agressive unless provoked and used as pets and guard dogs.

Kahara and divapilot like this.
  20. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Kath Hounds are contenders, too. Thanks, @Anedon! @Gamiel , I don’t think it matters what this person’s culture is, the character wants protection for their family and property but doesn’t want the beast to attack their own children in the process. I’m thinking like a K9 dog here in the US. Very well trained to protect the officer while on duty but is the family pet around the officer’s family at home.

Thanks you guys for your great suggestions.

Kahara, Anedon, Ewok Poet and 2 others like this.
  21. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Go for it! I have only used the term kuppy once before, in passing: "I'm not a kriffin' retriever kuppy!" meaning, "'I'm not your pet golden retriever, just waiting to go fetch things whenever you say to!" But feel free to use it however you see fit. :)

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I was more thinking about where the person should first go for their canine (or other creature): somebody from/on Nar Shaddar would probably get something else then somebody who’s a space and identify as Corellian, and somebody from/on Naboo would probably get something else.

Sith-I-5 and Kahara like this.
  23. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    Ah now I see. Yes, I’m fact I’ve considered this, and it’s worth pointing out. To that point, the character wouldn’t get anything too exotic or expensive - I suspect money will be an issue for them- but would get the best option available. I haven’t decided yet where they are living, but you’re absolutely right, the location will influence the choice.

Kahara likes this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I'm right now working with redesigning the Zeison Sha and am a bit indecisive about their look and want peoples though about how I should dress them.

Here is a short presentation of them:

Zeison Sha
    If there ever was a sect of Force-users built for survival under harsh conditions, it is the Zeison Sha. On the harsh world of Yanibar they developed: a planet of seasonal extremes – dry, blistering summers and frigid, wet winters – with fickle weather and hardy native life.

Believing that their ancestors was abounded there by the Jedi around two millennia ago, Zieson Sha and all other Yanibaree look upon them, their ways and their work with nothing but mistrust and suspicion. They fully believe that the Jedi kidnapped children to train and was behind the Clone War, even if they have no love for the Emperor and his Imperium.

The Zieson Sha are the guardians, protectors and sometime leaders of the people of Yanibaree. They use their talents to fend off the dangers native to Yanibar and defend those who cannot defend themselves. Whether protecting a home from a violent storm or fending off a pack of wild Voorcats terrorizing an outlying region, the Zeison Sha train to ward off any threats.

The Zeison Sha use the Force to be masters of their domain, they know how the weather is going to be, predict coming natural disasters and to guide their knives against threats. An integral part of training is the use of the throwing blades, the chosen weapon of Zeison Sha warriors. The throwing blades are a focus for their discipline and telekinetic ability, and come in many different shapes, from simple straight throwing knives to tomahawks to large, multibladed kpingas.

----------------

The only picture we have of a Zeison Sha shows her dressed like a standard Jedi and in the continuity breaking KotORII game we get Zeison Sha Armour as one of the items you can get, it looks like a recolored version of Zam Wesell's getup from Episode II. I don't want to use the Zam Wesell-look and I'm a bit uncertain about the Jedi-look.

I image Yanibar as a harsh world of seasonal extremes - dry, blistering summers and frigid, wet winters. Storms are common and can appear with little to no warning; strong winds are the most common weather.
    Most of the land is made up by rocky hills, semi-desert, steppe and savanna, much with turns into desert during the summer. Life survive summer either by hibernating, only living one season or spending the summer around the surviving rivers and lakes. Yanibar lack any native tree species, instead most vegetation is grass, reed, shrubbery, cactus or succulents based.

The people has en overall technological level around 1800 - 1850 with some high-tech.

Do people think I should keep them in the Jedi-look or give them some other style? If the later, any suggestions?

Kahara likes this.
  25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    So, how would we call a blog in the GFFA, given that the word has been used for an Endor sentient as long ago as 1986 already?

Kahara likes this.