main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Most worlds that are known for their shipbuilding are also able to supply the raw materials—or at least, that's how they would've been able to evolve shipbuilding as their primary industry (much like Corellia, Sullust, Kuat, and others). So it's up to you, really, whether or not you want your world to be known for its resources or its industry; that said, Wookieepedia has scans of the galactic maps from The Essential Atlas from the time of the Empire and New Republic.

2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    OK, here's one: does anyone know of specific names of textiles/fabrics/cloth types used in the GFFA? For example, what might be GFFA equivalents of things like silk or satin or velvet? (I have seen "velvoid" in other fan fiction, but I don't know if it's an official term or not.) I just looked on the Wook's Category:Clothing list, which purports to cover "Articles of clothing, types of cloth, tailoring, etc.," but it seems to be mainly articles of clothing—I see barely anything there that looks like the name of a type of fabric. Any ideas? (This might be one for the fabulous Gamiel...)

Edit: I just looked up "silk" on the Wook and several things come up: vine-silk, Ramordian silk, Ottegan silk, etc. How silly that those things are not in the "Category:Clothing" list, though! :confused:

3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Because the blurb that you quoted from the "clothing" category hadn't been edited since 2006 (until I updated just now), and our category system has improved by leaps and bounds since then. "Types of cloth" are now in a sibling category titled "materials and textiles", which should have everything you're looking for.

Chyntuck, Gamiel and Findswoman like this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I am a bit confused, do you want it to be near another world that deals with ship repairs and/or military assets or are you looking for some other criteria?

5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    How about somewhere in the vicinity of Bespin? It's roughly on the same side of the Galaxy as Endor, it's on the Corellian Trade Spine but reasonably out of the way, Bespin's a good industrial neighbour and a example of a place flying under the radar in Imperial times.

Goodwood and gracesonnet like this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Can I get some female mando names?

7. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Hokay, two-for-one special today:

In Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, R2 does some pretty creative stuff with his media features, editing recorded footage of Luke taken during the Sail Barge fight at the Pit of Carkoon in ROTJ into a holographic display that looks like he's taking down some Mindorese instead of Jabba's goons. He also replays some audio of Aeona Cantor to prove that she just wanted to steal the Falcon. Which makes me wonder - given that he's such a heavily modified astromech who's developed his distinctive personality due to lack of memory wipes, is R2 capable of being able to holographically or audibly replay anything that he retains in his memory banks? Or do you think he needs to specifically engage holo or audio recording as a separate task besides simply observing events? Everything he sees and senses gets categorized in various data files, but I'm curious if he's just a voyeur who likes to capture certain events for posterity, or if he's able to generate media out of anything he witnesses, period. I know there likely isn't an official EU answer to this, but in lieu of that, I'd appreciate your opinions on what seems more plausible for his functionality.

And a second, totally unrelated question - from the entire range of Legends EU, is it ever mentioned whether Luke's Jedi Academy was government-funded or privately-funded? I would assume the former, since he consulted with the NR first, and it would obviously take a significant amount of money to get it and keep it running, just like any other institution. (It's also obviously a non-profit organization too.) On the other hand, Luke has buddies who are kind of bank, so did anyone else besides the general NR government chip in for it?

8. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    1st question: I should imagine that R2-D2, since he has seen things you people wouldn't believe, is quite capable of discerning what kinds of events and such he observes are worthy of long-term retention in his memory banks. Since he's demonstrated a propensity for using what he knows (his recordings, etc.) to benefit his friends, I don't see why he couldn't have at least some limited capacity to "holoshop" such recordings.

2nd question: I don't think it's ever directly stated that the New Republic extends helping hands to the new Jedi Order, but that need not implicitly or explicitly mean a funneling of credits. Things that governments can do to promote such organizations can go well beyond simple subsidies for the common good (though I would argue before the Senate that as a peacekeeping force, the Jedi deserve the same kinds of funding the Senate might extend to any interplanetary or interstellar police force). Since no one really had a claim to Yavin 4 once the Empire kicked the Rebels out, it seems logical enough that the New Republic would be able to pass a law in the Senate saying that this planet goes to the Jedi Order (free of charge) to use in rebuilding its numbers. Other things could include giving the Jedi Order tax-exempt status, as well as allowing citizens to count any charitable contributions to the Order as tax write-offs. Even the Defense Force might simply choose to allocate portions of its supply budget (in the form of actual hard goods) to the Jedi, possibly in exchange for the Order's help in a military operation.

Hope that helps...

9. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Awesome answer to the 2nd question; thanks for all the details. I'm quite dense on such matters, so that's a definite help. [face_peace]

Nice. :p I see whut you did thar. [face_laugh]

So I take it you mean that he has enough of a personality to just instinctively know what might be handy to capture, or that he just feels like recording something because he wants to analyze it to study his companions and learn more about them. (He's very no-nonsense compared to C-3PO, but I get the impression he still likes to "wonder" about things to an extent. His musings at the end of Mindor are adorable. :D Come to think of it, I'm really glad Stover enjoys making an actual character out of R2; LSatSoM is a great resource for getting into the little droid's head. Er, dome, lol.)

10. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I think the point about R2-D2 is that he's whatever character you want him to be. This is why I liked the fact they have him still around in the Legacy comics, because he's basically the narrator for the entire saga in my memory cache.

11. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    I've never gotten a chance to read the Legacy comics, but I love that. Yeah, him hanging around for centuries knowing everything is rad. :cool: Journal of the Whills and all, lol.

12. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Hi everyone,

I'm working on a story that begins around the time of ANH and Quinlan Vos is due to make an appearance in it. I'm not really obsessed with pre- or post-Disney canon, but I want to make sure that nothing was published recently that has him die before the battle of Yavin, does anyone know?

Other than that, I'd like to (please) pick your brains as to what an older Vos would be like. I picture him as some sort of cynical scoundrel who's not big on manners, the kind of slightly grumpy old guy who walks into your home, helps himself to a beer from the fridge before you offer and asks all sorts of nosy questions. But I'm open to suggestions and criticism :)

Also, on a more practical level, do you find it plausible that Vos may have been hiding on Kashyyyk between ROTS and ANH? There's an awful lot happening on that planet during that period.

Lastly, how do you expect him to handle his brush with the Dark Side over time?

Thanks!

13. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Chyntuck: It is strongly hinted that it is Quinlan Vos who "rescues" Han Solo from a confrontation with some nasty people on some planet or other, in one of the quasi-canon Star Wars Tales comics. As far as I know, there is nothing that doesn't contradict such a possibility of Vos having survived Order 66 and quite well into the Imperial era; he's sneaky that way and a real survivor. That said, while he might not be the most polite houseguest ever, I don't think he'd quite be that rude. If he ever entered your house at all, it would probably be in the middle of the night and if he took any food, he'd do it stealthily and leave behind a few credits as recompense.

I think his experiences with the dark side would have hardened him over time, certainly, but that's kind of his default setting anyway from the impression I got. He's the consummate survivor, and does what it takes to keep a low profile.

Chyntuck likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I always assumed they were, if not fully founded, so at least sponsored by the government
    But at the same time R2 seems to think in a bit more non-human ways then C-3PO. For all we know part of the reason he has so mush free will and personality is because his hard drive is as bad as the Falcons and it is possible that he only have access to parts of his permanent memory at a given time.

15. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    The final issue of the Star Wars: Republic comic series establishes that Vos did in fact survive Order 66 at the Battle of Kashyyyk, and also conceived a son just before the end of the Clone Wars, whom he was reunited with, along with his mother, in a cave on Kashyyyk eight months after Order 66. See Wookieepedia for more info.

Chyntuck likes this.
  16. Mando-Man

Mando-Man Jedi Master star 2

Dec 1, 2008
    Speaking of Quinlan Vos, I'm working on a story featuring him, his son Korto, Mara Jade and Boba Fett.

It is set a year before ANH and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how old those characters would be at that time.

17. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014

Quinlan Vos was born in 57 BBY, Korto in 19 (possibly 18) BBY, Mara Jade in 17 BBY and Boba Fett was created in 32 BBY. (I'm looking forward to your story btw :))

18. Mando-Man

Mando-Man Jedi Master star 2

Dec 1, 2008
    Thanks for the dates ;)

Yeah it'll be a while before I get to writing it though. My current fic is taking up most of my time.

19. Cari

Cari Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2014
    Okie-dokie, I'm in need of a last name for a SW fanfiction I am writing. Needs to sound cool, and needs to have some for of meaning behind it. Something along the lines of 'redemption' or 'reborn' I suppose.
    Thank you for any suggestions, and I will credit the chosen name once it is published.
    -Cari

20. Cari

Cari Jedi Youngling

Sep 13, 2014
    Seems I need to clarify a bit. I'm looking for a character last name. I already have a title. It's Chiaroscuro, an art term referring to the relationship between light and shadow.
    -Cari

21. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Bri edit: Hey Cari, I've moved your thread into the fanfic help desk. Smaller, specific questions belong here. Thanks!

22. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Welcome, Cari. :cool:

For a last name with the meanings you mention, maybe something like Renaté or Renatus or Renatii or some variation thereon (based on RL names like Renée or Renata, which really do mean "reborn")? Just brainstorming. :D

23. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Welcome to the JCF Cari!

babynames.com is one of my favorite places to go for naming characters. You can search by first or last letter, meaning, nationality, gender, etc. Sometimes they don't always sound like Star Wars names so I'll often combine two to make it sound more so.

Findswoman gives a lot of the names that mean reborn from there, redemption doesn't give any results, but I did light, which gave a bunch and shadow which only gave a few. You could combine two of those to make light and shadow.
    Example: Aali - means light, Ohanzee means shadow: Aaliohanzee

24. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Use Google Translate to look up the words in other languages. Take the results and play around with the spellings. Use punc'tua'tion marks like apostrophes to make the words look a little unusual.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I recommend against using apostrophes unless the way the you image the pronunciation needs them.