main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Krayt-Eagle

Krayt-Eagle Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2007
    I have another question. When is it appropriate to use parenthesis? I'm usually used to avoiding them in writing, but my mind isn't giving me any other ideas on how to express the information to the reader. I'm not sure of any other way to break up the sentence so it won't be a run-on. This is the example of what I have...

She acknowledged him with a nod and held one webbed finger while giving final instructions to a female aide. Once concluded, the young aide (who was easy on the eyes, Kyp noticed) departed for her task before crossing Kyp’s path.

Their eyes met.

He winked.

She flushed.

The moment was brief, and as Kyp returned his attention to Cilghal, he felt those large bulbous eyes chiding him.

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Usually never. Those parentheses could be replaced by em dashes (—), whereas when parentheses are used, it would be how I've seen in the Barsoom series. Perhaps you have an odd name for what would be that planet's version of a cat. "Not fit to clean the teeth of my grandmother's juicwoen (cat)!" Also, parentheses could signify a translation: "Grohb-slem noog haborb!" (Half-wit malformed twit!) Otherwise, in the example you provided, em dashes should be used in place of parentheses.

J_Girl and Krayt-Eagle like this.
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I would go with TrakNar - those parentheses should be replaced with dashes. I never use parentheses except in a diary setting or for a translation and you almost never see parentheses in published books.

Krayt-Eagle likes this.
  4. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    is there a place besides the star wars wikia, where I can get information on what Padme has been doing during the Clone Wars series? I am going to be writing a Journal (not a DDC) that's written by her and I want to be as accurate as possible when it comes to the Clone Wars. The Episode 1 and 2 stuff I can fill in because I have those movies on DVD and their movie novelizations, but I don't watch the clone wars series (I watched the micro series which was really short) and I wanted to get as accurate as possible. In between Episode 1 and 2 I'd be filling in my own ideas, but I wanted at least some accuracy for the Clone Wars. Is there such a resource out there?

5. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
  6. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    starwars.com maybe? Other than that the only other possible source other than Wookieepedia would be the Essential Guides that Lucasbooks publishes and updates every few years.

7. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    I'm looking for something I don't have to purchase (so no, not an essential guide). I will be writing a fanfic that's in journal form (not for the DDC) that has Padme's life from Queen to Episode 3. Most of that I can fill in with the Episode 1 and 2 and the novelizations. The Clone Wars stuff, though, I don't want to have to dig through a bunch of episode summaries to find out what Padme was doing.

8. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Hmmm, here in lies the rub - if you want the 'official' version, you've been given a lot of online resources - no one's going to summarize it for you, so you'll have to research it yourself. Alternately, you can just do what a lot of writers do and create your own story. Fan fiction isn't restricted to other people's ideas.

9. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Don't have to buy them. Pick a day to go to the bookstore (like B&N or BooksAMillion), bring your paper and pencil and grab the book, sit at the in store cafe or lounge area and take notes. It's far better than the library. Hell I've read an entire novel at the store once because I couldn't afford it and wanted to read it. Unless the manager is an anal jerk, they really don't care if you 'browse'.

Tapatalk Signature
    ----------
    Use the light switch, Luke. Trust your feelings!

10. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    When I was going to the book store regularly, that's how I would get information for Wookieepedia articles without purchasing an armload of books; I bring a pencil and notebook, find the books I need, browse to the sections that are pertinent, then write copious notes. I wouldn't even bother with the cafe--I'd either find a bench, chair, or even sit down right there, just out of the way. Really, the staff doesn't mind.

To paraphrase what Breezy said, if you want to know Padme's (I really need to get a USB number pad... Not being able to make em dashes or diacritical marks is driving me nuts!) everyday minutiae, you'll need to research it. Writers (should) research their subjects to know them well. You're told to "write what you know." That shouldn't limit your writing. If you want to write something that you don't know, research it until you do know it! It's tedious, it takes a while, but it lends credibility to your work. It's also one of those niggly things that writers need to do themselves.

11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Not to sound critical, but it sounds like you want to find somewhere where the research done for you, which is completely understandable, but no going to happen. Your best bet is to do control+f in all the summaries and search for Padmè. Or, I bet the Wookieepedia page has all the episodes she appears in listed at the bottom of the page and just watch all those episodes.

12. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    okay, then does anyone know of a good site that has all the episode summaries? I can certainly do a control+F to search the summaries.

13. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    Wookieepedia

Tapatalk Signature
    ----------
    Use the light switch, Luke. Trust your feelings!

TrakNar likes this.
  14. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    Five seasons to skim....better get my notebook ready......

TrakNar likes this.
  15. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Aaaarg. I just don't write any faster these days. I've got this 100+ SW epic that I've been pecking at for an an unbelievably long time and I just revised the outline. Again. It still has 20 more scenes to be written<sigh>. I don't post until the whole first draft is done on a story, because posting in-progress really would spoil all the fun. So, if I'm not posting that much, it's not because I'm not writing.:rolleyes:

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    That actually could lead to an interesting discussion I've had with a few people: posting chapters as they are finished VS posting an entire fic once it is completed VS writing a certain amount of chapters and posting while you write the later chapters.

I personally go with the third approach. Unless it's a DDC or drabble challenge (which have specific schedules), I typically write 5-6 chapters (most of my stuff tends to be under 15 chapters) before I start posting, then I usually write at a pace at a chapter a week and I post a chapter a week. That way I can get encouragement, feed-back, and motivation to finish, all of which I usually need for a fic, and I can keep a regular schedule even if something happens and I go a week or two without writing anything. I tried the two other methods. Writing as I go can work well for short fics, if I want feedback as I go, but I'll never use the finishing the entire fic first method (unless it's like a two shot) because I lose confidence and motivation to write. I tried that with my first few attempts at writing and they all ended up in the recycle bin, which was a shame, because if I just would have posted the first few chapters, I would have gotten the motivation to finish.

EDIT: okay, I lied. I used the finish it all then post method for my longest fic, just because it was written over the move, but I did post a few chapters elsewhere during the move.

17. Krayt-Eagle

Krayt-Eagle Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2007
    Yeah, I'm currently experiencing this dilemma. At first, I wanted to finish the story before I started posting. But also, it's nice and encouraging to get feedback as your moving along (and good motivation). The type of fic I'm currently working on is too long to post as each chapter gets completed. Plus, I have ADD, so my mind is full of ideas, but finding a way to sort through them and get it down on paper is an exceptionally big challenge for me. I'm loads faster if I have someone to bounce ideas off of, which is why I'm looking for a beta for my fic, but haven't found much luck yet.

18. Jedi_Liz

Apr 24, 2000
    I've posted stories as they were written and then stories after they were completely written...the latter is better for me in case of writers block.....I've had writers block and then I can't write for days or something... It also helps when I do rewrites and I can use most of the previous written fic and then just make minor changes to dialogue, etc. I've got a few fanfics I want to write at the moment and will wait until they are done or at least half done before posting (but never more than one at a time posting or I'd get the material mixed up).

19. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    I'm on the side of completing the fic before posting it. Aside from making it much more stress-free to post, it also makes revising earlier parts of the story much simpler since you're the one who's seen them.

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, that's the downside of how I do it with the 'buffer'. There have been plenty of times when I've wanted to go back and edit something, but I can't.

21. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I usually complete the fic before posting but events happening in real life and readers have me adding things and entire scenes

22. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
  23. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Very cool grammar tips. I like those little reminders about writing.

Once again I'll sing the praises of waiting until a first draft is done before posting -- I've actually been writing quite a bit lately, though slowly. The problem is, it's only no one 140+ page story. And now I have to go back and re-write a minor character who was a plot blockage later on. The waiting give you a chance to do a root canal on story blocks.

24. WITCH_KING_OF_ANGMAR

WITCH_KING_OF_ANGMAR Jedi Master

May 17, 2006
    This advice, I think, is only moderately valid unless you are a technically very competent writer.

Beginners and amateurs (which most fanfiction writers are, with rare exceptions) do benefit from publishing unfinished material, even if all too often it leads to dead ends.

One learns from his mistakes and some mistakes you may simply not perceive until someone points them.

25. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I tend to plan out the overall plot, but otherwise work as I go. It is very rare when I can even get two chapters done as a buffer...simply because I can't keep myself motivated to write without reviews and feedback.

*shrug*