main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    You mean Culator? Yep, it was his proposal.

Goodwood likes this.
  2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I can see, then, that he hasn't changed a bit. Kind of a pity, really, but no great surprise.

Darth_Culator likes this.
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Question: Is "ice skating" too much of an earthism? I know I could change it to like repulsor gliding or some other similar sounding activity, but I need a fun, innocent, winter-sport-type activity to hurt ([face_devil]) a character. I have references to it being "old fashioned" and "outdated", I wanted to try to make it like how we still go on horse-drawn carriage rides, even though we have cars, but it's still bugging me. However, I think any GFFA equivalent would have some sort of 'stabilizer' to prevent injuries.

4. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    "Ice-blades" and "ice-blading" come to mind... ;)

5. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    You could change the name, but this might be a good case of jcgoble3 's "paint is just paint" point. Describing the technology should be enough to distinguish it, in the same way that dejarik and sabaac are familiar things made somewhat alien.

As for injury prevention, you could mention that your character disabled the 'stabilizer' in much the same way people disable the governor on vehicles, maybe for the same reason that people free-climb, because they feel it's more challenging (and therefore more rewarding), more exhilarating, or otherwise detracts from the experience.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  6. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    For the record, I agree that "paint is sometimes just paint" :p

I think my issue is that the technology of "ice skates" would just be so out-dated and have so many alternatives. However, I think I'm just going to use @Goodwood's suggestion of "ice-blades" (even though it would also make an awesome weapon name) just so that the name isn't too jarring and play it off as like "old things are fun and reliable".

Kinda like hipsters' obsession with typewriters.

jcgoble3 and Exeter like this.
  7. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Oh, absolutely on the technology bit. I was going with your idea of it being repulsor-based and nothing like our own ice skates, but essentially you'd still be "skating" so the name itself wouldn't necessarily have to change.

In fact, I don't think there'd be a reason to have blades at all, which is the only reason I might not use "ice-blades." If you're going to make them look the same, they might as well be called the same. But on the other hand, "ice-blades" sounds pretty badass and a lot more reckless/fun than ice skating, so in this case the Rule of Cool probably wins out :p

Briannakin likes this.
  8. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Exeter Kind of how "rollerblading" replaced "roller skating," at least that was the intent I had.

Briannakin and Exeter like this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No
    I think ice skating is good
    Eh, are you sayingthat other have told you it is "old fashioned" and "outdated" or that you want it to be"old fashioned" and "outdated"?

10. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I have a request: Anyone have some good/long Hayden interviews to recommend? I know it strikes many odd here but I do better writing a character if I study the individual casted as him.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  11. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002

I actually do the same thing, just attempting to get a sense of the actor from something beyond the films they appear in. For Hayden, it's difficult, he has fallen into relative obscurity and his interviews are not plenty to begin. Here are a pair that might work.

And here's Hayden and George Lucas unscripted.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thank you, sir. :)

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    It's not odd at all. Casting directors often make they choices they do for reasons and the actors can bring A LOT to a character not originally written (a good example is Ford with Han Solo; the whole "I know" line was ALL him).

I'm not sure how helpful these will be, they aren't really that LONG, but the first one is a featurette from the EP II DVD talking about how and why the casted Christensen. He's in it a fair bit:

And this is a bit longer one from the EPIII DVD talking about Anakin's fall and he is also interviewed quite often in if IIRC

14. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Thank you Bri.

15. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I never thought about this myself. Then again, the non-original characters I'm writing have an issue with dissonance. The one who was played by a great actor was not played by that actor in the instances where he's an annoying little [insert bad word here].

My OCs, however, do borrow some from their templates, face claims, whatever.

16. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I try to collect as many pictures, clips, quotes, even rough drafts of the scripts to get a feel for the characters. I don't usually use their interviews unless they discuss their thoughts behind the character. It can be a red herring for me to use their real self.

Do you use multiple different actors for characters a lot? I hope that's what you are saying. I'm a little sleepy.

17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Nope, the others used different actors for the non-OCs I'm writing. E.g. Wicket was played by Warwick Davis, but also by Jim Henshaw and Denny Delk, Teebo was played by Jack Purvis, but also the great Eric Peterson and some minor actor called James M. Cranna...and so on. In some cases, there is major dissonance in character portrayal, too; and it's just not the voice actor, it's what the executives meddled with and asked for.

18. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh, you're just saying that the actors themselves differed in the films. That's got to be weird.

19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Davis actually auditioned for a role in the first season of the cartoon series and err...he didn't get to voice the character that made him famous. Ironically, Henshaw sounded the way Davis himself does in The Battle for Endor. I don't get it.

I still wonder, on the other hand, how did one of the biggest acting names in your country end up playing my favourite character in the cartoon and there's virtually nothing on the internet about that. Like, why they needed an actor who was famed for a role in theatre and not voice acting much for a non-lead role?

But that's how I discovered Corner Gas. :p

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  20. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, non-lead roles can have awesome actors too. I can think of a few shows that have great actors as people who show up for like...3 episodes. Minor characters need love too!

Corner Gas [face_laugh] Nobody ever talks about that. You're the first person to mention it to me in literally years.
    It's confusing how the cartoons and the real shows change voice actors. I much prefer to hear the actors from the films/shows just voice the characters. I can tell when it's not them.

I was actually wondering two things - how people fill in the gaps for minor characters. I'm usually pretty good at picking up on little hints if they are a good actor. But, do you all use other fanfics? Or just make it completely up?
    Second thing, I need more actions. I focus on the eyes and mouth a lot because they portray a lot of emotion. But I feel like I need some variety. Does anyone have tips on how to write the rest of a person so they give off the same emotion? (Posture, hand gestures, so on). I'm decent with it. I'm just struggling to expand my horizons a bit.

21. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Research. :) Take a notebook to someplace busy, like an amusement park, community festival, shopping mall, etc., park yourself on a bench with a good view, and watch the people passing by and take notes on their hand motions, etc. Are they slouching? Legs crossed? What are they doing with their hands? Are they using their hands to help make a point? Are they scratching somewhere? Also note what emotions or moods they are displaying at the time, so that you can match the body posture/motions to the right emotions or mood.

This is, honestly, something I need to do before I start writing a longfic. :p

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh good old Corner Gas. As a person who has been to Saskatchewan (I stayed in the town where Eric Peterson was born) I find it hilarious.

Are you talking about minor characters in the books or movies you want to expand on? I read/watch all the source material and get more information on their family (if applicable), relationships, role, etc, then fill in what makes sense to me as to what the character would be/act like. For example, I'm writing Breha Organa, but in all the books (and the 2 second clip she is in from EPIII) she is a very flat character with little dialogue. Heck, they never even give her an exact age. However, because she is married to Bail, is the Queen of Alderaan, and (most importantly) is Leia's mother, I have expanded the character of Breha to fit those roles.

Ewok Poet and Admiral Volshe like this.
  23. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    I usually do the same (I've done it with Breha too, though not to your extent), I was curious if anyone had some weird, interesting ways of doing the same thing. :)

I never thought to go out into the world, but I for sure will try that.

But for actually describing them - I'm wondering if there's a resource of often used gestures or poses that people often use. Like "arms akimbo". It gets pretty flat to say "he put his hands up in confusion", "he threw his hands up, not knowing what to say", "he held his hands up, his expression worried". I just need more variety on that front.

24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Wow, that's awesome, in so many ways. And he's a great actor and Corner Gas is a great series. I need to watch the film. :p

That is probably the point where one could try and stop focusing on actors and invent actual characters' mannerisms, gestures et cetera.

I took some background characters from the cartoon and ROTJ and turned them into whole new folks. There is a wokling who appears in the background of many cartoon episodes and never says anything - I think he's a fan favourite on here. :p

Findswoman and Admiral Volshe like this.
  25. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002

As this is fan fiction, and I don't have to be fixated on an official canon, I only ever acknowledge the films and the cartoons, so when I look at a minor character in the film, usually something fun, or interesting strikes me, and I build an entire history around them. Now, as the fan I am, I have hundreds of SW novels and comics, and almost every character has been represented in 'em, but I try to push that back and just create my own spin. That's what is fun about fan fiction anyway, it's each of our own universes. It is all about creating the boundaries for your fiction, and what works within your rules.

I like putting spins on walking; strolling, strutting, I always try to play with body language, and I often keep a book of antonyms and synonyms at my fingertips because the word isn't always in your head. And sometimes I just have a brain fart and completely blank on what I'm trying to say.

Admiral Volshe and Ewok Poet like this.