main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It's cool V, our make up and creative processes differ. For me, infusing the performer into the character makes it more real and relatable. I don't like the idea of deliberately distorting the way a man is.

2. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

Going back to this, are we allowed to thus make a thread that contains all our one-shots/drabbles (with an index in the OP)?
    Like "Volshe's one-shot/drabble thread", with all of them posted within.
    And the OP would be something like this index (completely made up):

"The Climb - On a mission, OC 1 and OC 2 must face both their tempestuous relationship and the rugged terrain around them (01/27/2025)
    Dinner and a Show - Jar Jar makes a fool of himself while trying to impress the most beautiful Gungan he has ever laid eyes upon (02/05/2025)"

I want to post my drabbles and one-shots, but I really don't feel like making thirty new threads.

EDIT: Bonus idea, I want to tag it saga but color code all the titles for Before/Saga/Beyond :p

Findswoman likes this.
  3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

Oh, absolutely! That's exactly what I did with mine, and I am assuming that I broke no rules in doing so, because none of the mods have said otherwise since I started the thing back in September 2014. :D

Ewok Poet and Admiral Volshe like this.
  4. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh cool, I hadn't seen something like that yet :D Thanks Findswoman :D

Findswoman likes this.
  5. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I've done the same thing Admiral Volshe, but never crafted an index for the opening post; perhaps that's something that should be done soon. One-shots, or fully-realized short stories contained in one (rather long) post, I usually give them their own threads (admittedly I've only written two thus far in my career).

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  6. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    I've been writing quite a few, and I just needed a place to dump the ones I really like or really work on. :) I don't want to post 5 one-shots and fill up SWFF :p

7. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I guess it comes down to what you consider a one-shot. As stated, to me they're fully-realized short stories (7,500-10,000 words) that, while they may or may not tie into some broader story, they have a distinct beginning, middle and end. Vignettes, drabbles, and challenge responses that don't balloon into fully-fledged stories are what I put into my own "Misc." thread.

My two kopecks. :)

8. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh, yeah. My one shots are chapter length at most. 1,500-5,000 words, about. I'd put something over 7,500 in its own thread.

9. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    That sounds perfect for your own personal drabble/challenge/miscellaneous thread. ;)

10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Alright. Mav and I have discussed some of these ideas floating around this thread. First off, if you want to make a "formal request for a rule to be added", please PM us - it just makes it easier to keep track of.

Alright, so first off, as a user, I totally 100% agree that stories that are less than 200 words, probably should go in some sort of "BRIANNAKIN'S DRABBLY THREAD" (type idea). And the idea of having some sort of index/table of contents in the opening post of such threads is a great idea (that we, as mods, are fine with). The point of users fishing for comments by posting a bunch of very, very short stories, is TOTALLY valid.

HOWEVER, we feel, as mods, that we don't want to tell people "what constitutes as a story." I know when I started here, I posted a few one-shots/challenge replies that were in the 400 word range. I can totally see a user posting like a 200 word poem, then a month later, creating a new thread for a 200 word challenge reply. Yes, if a user is flooding the first page with like 100 word stories that can go in one thread, we would PROBABLY send that user a message saying "hey, we are merging all these threads of yours into one thread - please think about other users wanting space on the first page". We feel, because this isn't exactly a huge issue, and something we can (and would rather) deal with on a per-case basis, we don't want a hard and fast "stories have to be 200 words or longer to have their own threads" rule, right now.

Onto what should be posted in a "miscellaneous-type/Briannakin's one shots/short-story-thread". Basically, if you like all your short one-shots in one thread, go right ahead. As Mods, we frankly don't care.

From a personal standpoint, both Mav and I agree that having (totally) unrelated one shots (I'm not talking short, less than ~200 words drabbles; I'm talking longer one-shots that could legitimately have their own threads) in the same thread is; confusing, particularly when it comes to Awards (but I know as users, some people just say "screw the awards - which I wish I could do). Yes, there are some instances, say if all the one-shots revolve around an OC or a particular character or AU, that a one-shot thread can be seen as a series (thus eligible for a Series Award). The confusion lies when the a miscellaneous one-shot thread get confused for a series of related one-shots, because all these actually unrelated stories are all in one thread. There is also confusion around "can a vignette in a series of unrelated vignettes be eligible for the vignette award?" Mav and I will try to fix this confusion next time around but, I know as a user, I might not have time to commit to a series of unrelated one-shots, but if they are posted individually, I might read a couple. But again, this is TOTALLY MY PERSONAL preference. I do get the appeal of, as an author, having all your miscellaneous stuff in one neat place.

jcgoble3 and Admiral Volshe like this.
  11. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

Write this. Please.

TrakNar, jcgoble3 and Admiral Volshe like this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    What would be some ridiculously common names in the GFFA, other than Jax?

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    First or last name?

14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

If last names are needed, Antilles is supposed to be quite common—as in Smith-common, from what I've heard.

jcgoble3 and Ewok Poet like this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    First names, male.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Yoda would probably be rather popular, post Empire would probably Han, Luke, Lando, Ackbar, Nien and Wedge be rather popular among parents naming their children.
    While the empire ruled pro-empire people probably named their boys things like Sheev and Vader

17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I think you're completely missing the point of my question, but thanks for giving it some time. :)

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What I was thinking was that many parents name their child after heroes, leaders or "great men" and since Yoda have been all three for some time I think many parents have named their son, and possibly daughter, after him.

The same reason goes for the other names I suggested as probably rather common.

19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I understood that from the first reply. It's just not what I was looking for.

20. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Names I see as popular? (I wish there were a count, because this is completely my opinion).
    Jax, Dax/Dak, Owen, Gregor/Gregar, Derek, Darren.

If we go by Star Wars Battlefront's names:
    Hans, Kyp, Tyghe, Nom, Allyn, Fiaid, Race, Thrak, Jori, Giz, Devon, Nik, Scur, Lor, Doran, Pol, Evan, Dax, Ben, Han, Jordan, Fin, Jayce, Jacen, Ash, Ban, Kam, Uster, Gav/Gavin.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  21. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Are you looking more for the GFFA equivilant to "John" (timeless, always popular)? I don't think there really is one because authors/writers don't tend to use names that per-exist in the franchise. However, there are quite a few "Gavin"s I can recall throughout the eras.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I thought the replacement for "John" was "Jhorn," as in this guy here.

Admiral Volshe and Ewok Poet like this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think I have seen some use 'Jon' also

24. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Yes, I have as well... ;)

25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

That is one name I would like to avoid in my fiction, but sort of, something similar.

Gavin sounds good, though I'd want something that is less Earth-y.

I will go through these and see if any is neutral in terms of origin, as that's one of the things I'm after, thanks. :)