main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think I would use Yoda myself, at least on a galactic scale.

Mental note; create character with the name of Yoda

TrakNar likes this.
  2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I don't know that the character of Yoda would be all that well known in the galaxy, at least outside the Order, so I don't think that would be a popular name for people to name their kids after.

Corran maybe? I always felt like it might have been a common Corellian name because that would be poor Corran Horn's lot in life. :p And for the same reason maybe Kell (same reason being for Kell Tainer)?

Tarsier, Admiral Volshe and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    That sounds good too, since the character IS from the Corellian sector.

mavjade likes this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe it is just me but I think he probably did some really great stuff before settling down as the orders' playful grandfather figure. And any time he went out in the field again he probably did something of notice, or at least the new media probably acted like he did, which world renowned the popularity of his name among parents.

5. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Gamiel and Admiral Volshe like this.
  6. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I feel like the members of the Hand of Judgment may have had common names - Daric, Korlo, Taxtro, Saberan, Joak. I also feel like Biggs might be a common name.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I will go with Joak. Fits perfectly. Thank you. :D

8. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    Hi guys, I don't know if this question has been answered yet but, If you have a rather major AU story that turns basically the whole universe on it's head, do you prefer a huge amount of exposition at the front to answer all the questions or space out the answers over the course of the story?

9. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    It depends on how you prefer to write, but to me as a reader it's always more fun to discover the deeper elements of a world (even an alternative version to a preexisting world) through actions and dialogue. Exposition has its place, but unless you're really good at writing it, it is best used in moderation, especially in the beginning. If you are going to go that route, then the prologue to my current fic might provide some interesting ideas as to how to set a scene through exposition that also lets the reader imagine what actions might be taking place (link in the signature).

jcgoble3 likes this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I suggestiv that you begin your story with the traditional opening crawl that establish some facts and show that this is an AU then you can space out the answer.

11. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    plus you can use an author's note to put in changes too.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I usually would rather discover how things have changed over the course of the story rather than get a big explination at the start. I love a good AU and it's really fun to discover how things have changed in them. I feel as long as you state in your info at the begining that it's an AU, and maybe some indication as to when it starts (if it starts from a canon event or time and then veers from there), that should be enough. That being said, if you feel like you have to explain something upfront, that's okay too, but I wouldn't make it too long, a lot of exposition tends to turn people off.

13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    On the other hand explanation provides context and reasoning a great thing. A writer should do what they feel they need, if readers quit, oh well.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    I need some advice, my Fanfic is a crossover with the manga xxxHolic and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, Anakin has gone to the Dimensional Witch, Yuuko Ichihara, looking for a way to save Padme, her shop is a wish granting shop where she will grant wishes for a price, she has power over space and time, she basically keeps the multiverse from falling apart.

To save Padme I will have Anakin sacrifice multiple things, I thought of two, but I need a couple more, the first is his relationship with Palpatine, the second is his Force power the high Midichlorian count he has. I need a good third and fourth but I can't think of anything precious and important, which is a huge part of how wish granting works in xxxHolic and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle.

My idea is that Anakin's forgotten how he was when he was nine and gave with no thought of reward. I want to break his character of his selfishness by having him give up things to Yuuko to save Padme from dying.

Also the story will involve and evil clone and Anakin placing half his soul inside it! (they can do that in Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle)! Bringing CLAMP's insanity to the GFFA, oh dear!

15. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Off the top of my head:

- His relationship with Padme.
    - His memories of his childhood on Tatooine, especially of Shmi.
    - His goal to "fix" the galaxy.

Sorry I can't be of much help. It's been a while since I was immersed in the CLAMPverse.

16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    This is the approach I would go for. I like to know what I am reading, otherwise the author is basically doing a mix-and-match on the go and it's not very credible.

Readers that quit for reasons other than having too much going on at the moment or disappearing from the board are pretty likely to have something against the author, anyway; so losing them is not an issue, at least not in my book. :p

17. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Creatives and readers have different wirings. I don't think a writer should distort their stylistic or plot approaches to suit readers. I think readers ought to respect the work for what it is.

whiskers and Ewok Poet like this.
  18. GuardianSoulBlade

May 26, 2015
    Those are perfect, especially the first one, it'll be like Syaoran and Sakura, except Anakin will be very reluctant to give it up, but he will. 2 and 3 are also grreat, and I will use them all! Thank you!

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Question: do you mean that he will no longer be Force sensitive or that he is still Force sensitive but much weaker?

Some suggestions on what Yuuko may demand
    - that he stop being a jedi, as in that he have to look for a another job
    - that he have to reveal what he did to the sandpeople after his mother died

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How do chiss ship naming tradition look like?

21. GuardianSoulBlade

May 26, 2015
    Anakin's force potential and power will be reduced to his Darth Vader levels. As Matthew Stover wrote it:
    And you rage and scream and reach through the Force to crush the shadow who has destroyed you, but you are so far less now than what you were, you are more than half machine, you are like a painter gone blind, a composer gone deaf, you can remember where the power was but the power you can touch is only a memory, and so with all your world-destroying fury it is only droids around you that implode, and equipment, and the table on which you were strapped shatters, and in the end, you cannot touch the shadow.

And yes, I do believe a confession to the Jedi about the Tusken slaughter will be in there.

22. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Does anyone have a believable planet that a half-human, half-Arkanian could hail from that is more populous?
    I've already used Naboo, Corellia, Ord Mantell, Nar Shaddaa, Onderon, Raltiir, Coruscant, Denon, Alderaan, Bellassa, and Axxila.

NightWatcher91 likes this.
  23. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I'm assuming that this is before Alderaan goes kablooie; with that being said, there are loads of planets like that. Druckenwell, Brentaal IV, other members of the Five Worlds (Selonia, Drall, Talus and Tralus), Toprawa, Ciutric IV, Telos, Taris (by the Saga era it's been rebuilt) Arkania itself, Darkknell, any of the other Ordnance/Regional Depot worlds, Kuat, Corulag, Anaxes, Fresia, Agamar, Carida (before its sun went kablooie), Sullust (minority population, sure, but that world is quite cosmopolitan), Tatooine, Talravin, Cardooine, Mantooine, the list goes on.

If you're ever hurting for planets to use, for whatever reason, something I've learned to do is just pull up one of the various scans of star maps provided by resource guides such as the Essential Atlas, which are almost always available on Wookieepedia. I used this method all the time during the writing of my DDC '14 challenge.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  24. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Brentaal IV is good - thank you! The rest will be useful in the future. The tip especially!

25. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Happy to be of service. :)