main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh, just a classic case of thread ninja'ing! :D

2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Just a classic case of three people helping me brainstorm and make the correct decision. This is going to be really, really good!

Not to mention that presenting Revan as a legend is NU-canon compilant, from a certain point of view.

3. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I would like everyone that reads fan fics to weigh in on this.

I have an idea for a plot point in an upcoming fic. The basis of the fic is that when Leia was about eighteen months old Breha ran Leia's blood through the Imperial Database to make sure that Bail hadn't cheated on her; again. The result is that the Emperor is alerted of her existence and she has to be spirited away from Alderaan. Over the course of several misadventures at the age of seventeen Leia escapes a crime lord who was using her ability to read beings to his advantage. She meets Han Solo who after she helps him not get conned invites her to be a member of the crew and over time fall in love.

The plot point of course is that Bail cheated on his wife with a woman from Coreillia and is Han's father. Bail doesn't know though that he has/had a son.

So I want to know how perspective readers might feel about a relationship between Han and Leia since she was adopted by Bail and Breha and Han is Bail's illegitimate son. At least one person i have run this passed feels that it might be quasi incest and if a relationship comes up between them would like it if Leia's adoption had been revoked or something of the like.

What do all of you think?

4. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's not incestuous in any way to me. It's a little weird at first (mostly because I don't see Bail as someone who would cheat), but once I think about it...I see no problem with it. They aren't blood relatives at all.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  5. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Agreed with Volshe; my reaction was a bit o_O but then it was :cool:

6. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I don't find it incestuous, but having read some of your fics and skimmed through some others, I find it somewhat repetitive. Let ideas come to you instead of...generally going through odd family options. The other AU was believable, this one not so much.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    They are not close blood kin, therefor not incest.

8. metophlus

metophlus Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 30, 2015
    If Han being Bail's illegitimate son has an actual point other than just novelty, sure, go for it.

9. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    And I might ditch the whole unfaithful subplot and have Bail betrayed from the inside or someone wanting to destroy him politically spread rumors that Leia was Force Sensitive/a Jedi Baby and Bail just had enough time to have someone take her away.

My original idea for it had Leia at the age of five or so leave Alderaan with the help of Qui-Gon's ghost. Escaping just in time to escape Alderaan before the Empire showed up for her.

Thank you all for your input so far.

10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    This sounds more...how to say, new. :)

11. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Strictly speaking it is not incest as they aren't related by blood. I'd have no problem with it. The cheating, yes.

12. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    I might save Han is Bail's son for a crack fic along the same lines of the fic 'Freeze Frame' the one with the characters reacting to the movie being paused and how they do or do not want the movie changed.

Have different characters react to past, present and scraped story ideas and how they feel about the craziness of some of them.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How many ammonia-breathers do we know of? Beside gands.

Beside Gand, do we know of any planets that are shrouded in mist?

Findswoman likes this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    The answer to the second question: Roon. It's a different kind of a mist, but it allows Roon to be a rather normal planet despite being tidally locked to its sun, unlike Ryloth.

Findswoman and Gamiel like this.
  15. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    Not ammonia, but Kel Dor (the species) and the planet Dorin. It had a very low oxygen concentration in the atmosphere and was "dusty".
    I'm trying to think of more.

Findswoman likes this.
  16. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    The Kel Dor actually breathe helium.

Gamiel and Admiral Volshe like this.
  17. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    I saw that. I spent a while wondering if they were really squeaky. :p

Lady_Misty and Ewok Poet like this.
  18. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    *looks up Kel Dor at wooki*

*checks out Dorin gas article*

Hmm . . .

Okay, as far as I can tell, the Kel Dor breathe Dorin gas, the identity of which is unidentified. Unless they have some really strange chemical reactions going on inside, they can't breathe helium because it's chemically inert. Mind you, given that they find nitrogen toxic - and nitrogen is pretty inert, too - it might very well be that there's some SF alchemy involved.

. . . and now I'm starting to wonder just how breathing methane works. [face_geek]

Gamiel likes this.
  19. metophlus

Jun 30, 2015
    never mind

20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Any slur-esque word for young people in the GFFA? You know, when we say they're green.

21. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    metophlus likes this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I really, really want to avoid the word "green", that's the point...

23. metophlus

Jun 30, 2015
    Kid. Squirt. Noob.

Issue #4 of Star Wars: Legacy was titled "Noob". It's one of the best, read it!

jcgoble3 likes this.
  24. Admiral Volshe

Sep 2, 2012
    I'll defer to someone else then. I don't see anything and I don't know of any fanon that'd work. :)

25. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I adore Legacy and that issue. That series has the exact anti-heroesque setting I need for this piece.

metophlus likes this.