main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Provo Fanfic writer's thread -- Discussing OC's and flaws

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by MiaTieska, Jun 18, 2006.

1. MiaTieska

MiaTieska Jedi Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Welcome to the Provo FanForcer's fanfic writer's thread!

Consider this a sort of "writer's resource" and discussion thread for members of our Fanforce. Feel free to recommend a story another Fanforcer is working on, to discuss a story another Fanforcer is writing or one you're working on, or to post here for ideas or brainstorming if you're stuck on a story you're writing. (I doubt the discussion has to be limited to Star Wars fanfiction either, I think we all write in multiple fandoms.) :)

Maybe we can even get certain people to keep updating their massive list of SW fics... ;)

-Mia

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I would like to recommend the following:

Handmaiden's Quest by kateydidnt. This is just starting out but is a really really cool idea.

And By Small Things by Noelie. THis is her first longer fic and it's about a guy whose son is a Force-potential and he has to work against Palpatine.

3. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
  4. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    Well I guess I can highly suggest one of my addictions Lest Ye Be Judged, which has clinched some nom spots although don't ask me all which because I am highly allergic to checking any of them out

Lest Yes Be Judged

Then there is this prize by Spirit of Eowyn and Darthishtar! In all times, in all Things and in all Places.

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    And Lest Ye Be Judged features coverart from spiritofeowyn.

6. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    So I was talking with Ish the other day about when sometimes, you get stuck on one story that you really want to work on, but then another story just flows and you write it super fast. Does this happen to anyone else?

I remarked that sometimes, I think it's good to step back from something we've been working on, and either work on another fic, or sometimes just read a bunch of other fics to give our brains a break. But, that's my theory.

I know that kind of block happens sometimes to me, and I know that trying to force myself to work on something I really don't feel like working on isn't a good thing. Characters can end up OOC, dialogue can seem contrived, and the whole thing can seem stilted. However, this isn't to say that writing isn't sometimes difficult, and sometimes you do have to squeeze your brain to get out exactly what it is you want to say.

And there are other times where for me, I need to recognize if I just need a break and just need to work on something else, read a bunch of unrelated fanfic or a book, or just do another activity completely.

So I guess my question is, does this kind of thing happen to anyone else, and how do you deal with it?

-Mia

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    That's where, pretty much, all of my vignettes come from. It happens to me on occasion.

8. Jade_Skywalker

Jade_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    Totally know what you mean Mia. That's pretty much how "A Burning Brand and Brilliant Fire" came about for me. I was working on a revision of an older fic that I wanted to re-post, then I got this idea for a vignette, and then the vignette turned into a whole complicated story. Now, my mind is looking for breaks from this one. ;) I too find that giving you mind the break it needs really helps. There are times, a lot of times, where I feel so restless, I can't even sit down to write, but when I come back, where I was once stuck, just suddenly flows. Strange how it does that, huh? ;)

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, I think it's the curse/blessing of all writers to be sidetracked by their own genius.

10. Jade_Skywalker

Jun 16, 2000
    Okay, I have a question about fanfiction. Since I was out of the JC for a long time, as I come back, I am finding new words that did not exsist before.

In short, what the heck is a drabble!? ;)

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    A drabble is a story told in exactly 100 words.

12. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    Some people will write drabbles but go over 100 words, but the technical, strict definition of one is exactly 100 words. They're both fun and challenging.

It's also a general term in fandoms, not exclusive to the JC. I don't think the JC has coined any terms... it might be scary if it did. ;)

-Mia

13. Jade_Skywalker

Jun 16, 2000
    LOL!! That WOULD be challenging! ;)

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    A lot of people, myself and Noelie included, write 5 of these drabbles on assigned themes every week. It's a major challenge.

15. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    . . . I've been in fanfic fandom so long I was there for the coining of the term "'ships" in the X-Files fandom . . . For anyone wondering, "'ships" comes from the term "Relationshippers", referring to Mulder/Scully relationshippers or "'shippers". Random fact.

I'm trying to think of there are any terms the JC's come up with, but I can't really think of any. I mean, other than the K/J thing starting here.

And I had something I was going to inquire about but now that I'm this far into the post, I don't remember what it was . . .

Dana

16. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    Have a question for everybody. On another board we're discussing Original Characters and how to give them believable flaws so they aren't another cardboard cutout or Mary Sue/Gary Stu.

Even canon characters have flaws, and for me those are easier to write because they're written into canon. For OC's it's a bit different, because writing an OC is part of you and so giving them flaws is a bit more personal, for me anyway.

How do you go about giving your characters believable flaws that make them likable but still have depth? (Or maybe they're not likable, but still believable?)

-Mia

17. Jade_Skywalker

Jun 16, 2000
    You know, I just want to touch on how that is such an important point. Ironically, to make an OC perfect character, is to make him or her IMperfect. It's so much more believable. I'm kinda in the middle of that right now with one of my own OCs. Really the flaw could be anything. Could be simple, could be not so simple, the important thing is to make sure the character stays true to that flaw. I used to mess up on that part in my earlier years of fan fiction. ;) As far as what the flaw is. I think you just gotta ask your character that. :)

Even if the character ends up being a little less likable, that in itself will give the character more depth, in my opinion, because then you're not just redoing another character. I love qiestions like these. I'm all about uniqueness. ;)

18. MiaTieska

Jan 3, 2003
    Very true! It's sometimes hard to find the balance between their strengths and weaknesses. Obviously they have to have something to contribute to the story, and everyone wants a "strong" character, but "strong" does not necessarily mean having a million skills, IMO.

I do my best to listen to the character but I do try to press them to tell me what their other flaws are, LOL. There's just so many out there, a million possibilities. :)

-Mia

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    What drives me crazy about some OC's is that they have to succeed at everything. That's why it's so important to have weaknesses. On the other hand, you can't have something succeed just by dumb luck.

20. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    I tend to create opposition for my main character. Something to overcome. This usually coincides with some period of introspection and/or self doubt. Next comes the struggle to overcome all odds and he either fails but only as a sacrifice for someone's benefit and ends up a hero/martyr or else he saves the day and gets the girl. Writing epics takes a lot of energy. I've been working on one for two years.

21. AndrewLightstar

AndrewLightstar Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2006
    This is a really good question. Ive been working on my own and first SW FF for the past eight months now. I try to treat my Jedi like real people trying to get through real things from the real world. Children are children no matter if there in a modern R/L U.S. School or being trained in the Jedi Temple. What would happen to a child being taken into a war zone in R/L and merge that with a young Padawan being taken into the same. People can panic no matter how well trained they are. And Love can develop anywhere. OC's are fun because you can develop them anyway you want. And if something happens to an OC in childhood there is no way it can be erased unless you blank there mind, that something can change the way the OC thinks or acts for the rest of there lives. I see this in my own live because of my Dyslexia and other disabilities and add the same thing into my OC's. Life can be hard in any galaxy and in any time. But really it's not the problems that you give them that is the story it's the way you have them deal with those problems that the best part of the story.

Andrew Lightstar :)

22. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    I'm also a bit stuck on writing the conclusion of my current fic, "A Different Path". I know exactly how I want it to end, but it's the "delivery" that I want to be right. The story is linked in my signature if anybody is interested. Feel free to let me know if you like it or if it stinks and was a waste of time. I take criticism very well.