main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanfics For Rewriting The NJO/Legacy Eras

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by MasterKenobi1138, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterKenobi1138

MasterKenobi1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 24, 2008
    My idea for this topic was inspired from the "Radical prequel re-writes" thread started by MrFantastic74. I'm pretty satisfied with the NJO in general, but pretty dissatisfied with what came after it, and at the moment I have one or two fanfic ideas that I'm trying to bring to fruition.

So, basically, what I'd like to hear from other fanfic writers and readers is this:

2. What kind of story or saga would you like to see for these eras in general?

3. Would you change anything fundamentally about the NJO series or leave it as is?

4. How would you characterize Jacen Solo after the events of TUF?

5. How would you characterize Jaina Solo after the events of TUF?

6. Would anyone killed off in the NJO series survive in your story?

7. Would you focus on the postwar reconstruction or something else?

8. Would you give any characterization to Ben Skywalker, and if so, how?

9. What kind of enemies would you develop for the NJO/Legacy eras? (Yuuzhan Vong? Sith? Threats from the Unknown Regions? Or something else entirely?)

10. What role should the Big Three (Luke, Han, Leia) be playing in the NJO/Legacy eras?

11. Which name should the galactic government get: New Republic or Galactic Alliance, or none of the above?

12. What kind of the role does the Empire/Imperial Remnant get to play?

13. Should there be any changes to the Jedi philosophy, the structure of the Order, or its relationship to the government? If so, what kind?

14. Would you tie in anything from the prequels and/or older EU material, or develop something entirely new for the saga?

15. If you have any other areas you'd like to discuss about improving on, please feel free to add them. These questions aren't mandatory, but a way to get some discussion going.

16. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Well, I don't have ideas for most of those, but I can answer a couple. As you can tell by my sig, I don't exactly like how the NJO or Legacy went, and my answers will show why. First off, if I had anyone who died in the NJO live, it would be Chewie and Anakin. As far as my opinion goes, I think killing those two off really wasn't needed. All it served to do was make Han angry with Anakin, and almost make Jaina go dark side. As to how I would write Jacen... well first off I always felt the Legacy butchered his character. What happened to the carefree animal collector from the YJK? Oh I know, the Vong, like that would stop a Solo or Skywalker from maintaing their personality. And vision or no vision, Jacen should have been smart enough not to trust Lumiya, and not to betray his friends and family. Okay, rant is over now, I will watch this thread though.

17. MasterKenobi1138

May 24, 2008
    So here is what I'd have wanted to see:

What kind of story or saga would you like to see for these eras in general?
    In retrospect, I felt there was a great set-up at the end of Vision of the Future for the Jedi, the New Republic, and the Imperial Remnant to team up against the "thousand threats" said to be in the Unknown Regions. There would be more consistent character development (especially for the Solo children), more meaningful deaths (if death was required), and more adventures and perspectives from characters outside the Solo-Skywalker clan.

Would you change anything fundamentally about the NJO series or leave it as is?
    Less factionalism and debate among the Jedi, the Republic, and the Imperials, resulting in a more concentrated effort against the Yuuzhan Vong (although this might have made the series shorter in the long run).

How would you characterize Jacen Solo after the events of TUF?
    Considering the prevalence of Yuuzhan Vong biotech, Jacen's affinity for animals and nature would become useful from the very beginning, although this would also make him equally sensitive about his power considering how much pain and suffering the war would pour into the Force. Jacen's struggle would be to reconcile the death and pain that comes with war with his duty to life and to the way of the Jedi. After TUF, he would study among other Force-sensitive groups for a while before returning to help his Uncle Luke further define the New Jedi Order, maybe even as a part-time teacher at the Academy.

How would you characterize Jaina Solo after the events of TUF?
    Jaina would be less grim than before and in line for a leadership position, possibly with an enlistment into Wraith Squadron (which once had a Jedi among its ranks) or being at the head of an all-Jedi fighter squadron, allowing her to both serve the Force and fulfill her need to fly.

Would anyone killed off in the NJO series survive in your story?
    Anakin Solo would definitely survive, as probably would Chewbacca.

Would you focus on the postwar reconstruction or something else?
    After TUF, future stories would focus on the slow rebuilding of Coruscant and other worlds, the campaign against Yuuzhan Vong forces who refused to surrender, the threat of new space pirates, the exploration of the Unknown Regions, and/or the readjustment of the surviving Yuuzhan Vong to life on Zonama Sekot.

Would you give any characterization to Ben Skywalker, and if so, how?
    Ben Skywalker would be growing up in the shadow of not only his parents, but of his entire family, especially after the role his cousins played in the climax of the war. He would have to deal with the unwarranted admiration and expectations he receives from others, much like the Solo children had to endure. He would inherit his father's sensitivity and his mother's fierce determination (perhaps taking a bit after his Aunt Leia in that regard).

What kind of enemies would you develop for the NJO/Legacy eras? (Yuuzhan Vong? Sith? Threats from the Unknown Regions? Or something else entirely?)
    The Yuuzhan Vong could still be the main threat in the actual NJO series, but new threats would be needed for afterward. Dark Jedi--rather than actual Sith--could be considered, especially Jedi whose aggression during the war got the better of them. There could also be space pirates who take advantage of the chaos in the Outer Rim or a legitimate threat from the Unknown Regions that requires the GA to aid the Chiss (and no, it would not be Killiks in any shape or form).

What role should the Big Three (Luke, Han, Leia) be playing in the NJO/Legacy eras?
    They'd be around, but not center-stage, letting the Solo children and their generation take the active role. The Big Three could be relied upon for advice or the occasional side adventure, much like Yoda was for the prequel era.

Which name should the galactic government get: New Republic or Galactic Alliance, or none of the above?
    I would prefer that the New Republic stay a Republic, but that it f

18. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    First off, I never got past Vector Prime and Power Point in one series and Betrayal was the last SW novel I read before basically giving up on the books.

# What kind of story or saga would you like to see for these eras in general?
    I'd like to see a sensible progression of how the younger Solos and Skywalker grow into their roles within the greater galaxy and Jedi Order. *Without* the character assassination and craziness the books gave us. I'd also like to see new characters come to the spotlight.

# Would you change anything fundamentally about the NJO series or leave it as is?
    I wouldn't kill Chewie or Anakin. I'd allow Jacen to explore the Force but ultimately still serve the Light not become the most pathetic Sith ever. That was just sad.

# How would you characterize Jacen Solo after the events of TUF?
    I'd let him maintain his strong inclination to justice and maybe even permit him to be wary of his connection to the Force for a time. Yet, ultimately, Jacen would return to his uncle's Order and serve it well but in a non-political capacity. Making him a GAG officer and Sith at the same time was his death knell combined with how poorly he was handled as a Sith period. His compassion to life in general would be an asset. Not something utterly ignored.

# How would you characterize Jaina Solo after the events of TUF?
    With all this Sword of the Jedi crap, I don't really see her as Jedi anymore. Jania seems much to eager for battle. I'd either have her reevaluate her place and function entirely or have her leave the Order so she can heed her own sense of justice. In this both she and her twin seem like their grandfather in the *worst* way possible...that only they know what's right and forget everything else. I think that's incredibly selfish and sloppy.

# Would anyone killed off in the NJO series survive in your story?
    As stated above: Anakin and Chewie. Other notables would be Jacen, Streen, and Gilad.

# Would you focus on the postwar reconstruction or something else?
    I would focus on how the Vong re-bond with their world and discovering their place in the greater galaxy so they wouldn't be so 'the only thing worth living for is death!'

# Would you give any characterization to Ben Skywalker, and if so, how?

I'd make him a Padawan to a level-headed Master so he could see how the galaxy is, but he wouldn't be the primary focus.

# What kind of enemies would you develop for the NJO/Legacy eras? (Yuuzhan Vong? Sith? Threats from the Unknown Regions? Or something else entirely?)
    I'd have some hold out Vong and even some malcontents in the IR. Sith in the Post-RotJ era I always felt nullified the film's point.

# What role should the Big Three (Luke, Han, Leia) be playing in the NJO/Legacy eras?
    I would see Luke as a Jedi Diplomat, helping to draw factions together so they might rebuild in an honorable fashion that would suit the majority rather than the privileged minority. I see Luke as being forced into war, rather like Obi-Wan...but being very disinclined to it. Thus, I'd take him off the front lines. I would have him still be Grand Master of the Order but be an learned philosopher rather than a warrior. Luke prefers to see the good in others and to hope. I'd let him keep those things rather than destroy his character like most of the books have. I'd have Han team up with Lando and Talon and I'd have Leia be the Jedi warrior. She's always been more like her father in temperament to me--impatient and needing action and always feeling she was in the right even when she wasn't.

# Which name should the galactic government get: New Republic or Galactic Alliance, or none of the above?
    None of the above. Galactic Federation.

# What kind of the role does the Empire/Imperial Remnant get to play?
    Under Gilad's leadership, I'd have the IR be uneasy allies of the GF and Luke's Jedi.

# Should there be any changes to the Jedi philosophy, the structure of the Order, or its relationship to the government? If so, what kind?
    Yes. Jedi superiority complexes need to go. If it were me I'd either give Kyp Durron and Corran Horn

19. MasterKenobi1138

May 24, 2008
    I wholeheartedly agree. I was just now thinking that, when you read DN or LOTF, you don't hear anything about the physical scars and the reconstruction from the Vong War, but Force forbid that we should never not remember that the Solos and Skywalkers have been SCARRED FOREVER. I mean, come on, Luke went through far worse during the war with the Empire and he came out just fine (he even got married at the end of it, can't beat that).

It seems like Leia has her mother's career path and her father's temperament, while Luke got his father's career path and his mother's temperament. This is something that I think the post-prequel EU really could have hit home on, but that's just my opinion.

Oh, and thanks for giving your input, guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.