FanFilm Model PREVIEW

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Macho, Mar 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. Pixel_Queen Jedi Padawan

Well done! But does it cast shadows, I can't tell?
  2. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    yes shadows are on but for only one light( there are 4 lights)
  3. wixmmm Jedi Master

star 4
    now THAT'S what I'm talking about. VERY well done macho... I definately see a droid now... i mean for god's sake... you left the best part of the model out in the first render!

It looks very biological... looks like something the Yuuksan Vong would use ... (I just started reading the New Jedi Order novels... and let me tell you guys, the NJO is what episode 7-9 would have been... i mean what happens in the first novel... oh my god... i don't want to ruin it for anyone... but it is BIG.)

But once again... well done macho.

Cya
    Mike
  4. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    I only didn't show you because the texturing wasn't right, and the lights weren't set up right...in case you are wondering the render i could have shown you on friday is yankscatcher.tripod.com/wip/seekertextured.jpg

as you can tell it doesn't look nearly as good as the final version
  5. Night4554 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    w00t! I'm digging that Macho! Great Job!

¤Night
  6. wixmmm Jedi Master

star 4
    ugh! you're right macho... (wow... who'd have thought :) ) your new version is SIGNIFICANTLY better than your old one... probably best you held out. (flashback of my date on prom night :) )

Cya
    Mike
  7. DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I see a lens flare.

DIE DIE DIE!

:p

M. Scott
  8. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    ...the lense flare was a test to see how to do them since they add realism if used correctly
  9. Zayn Jedi Knight

star 3
    dont use a lens flare unless we see a light in the shot

actully just dont use them, I think they are really distracting and dumb...
  10. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    like I said it was a test to see how to do them
  11. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Don't sit of the fence Zayn, tell us what you really think of lens flares :p

::mental note:: Don't show Zayn my select pictures.
  12. EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, Macho, I've seen our newest picture,

http://yankscatcher.tripod.com/wip/seekertextured2.jpg

and I think it looks like a good start.

A couple of things I like about it:

• The 'legs' coming down from the 'head' are textured quite well. I like how that's done.
    • I also like that you are doing some modelling, and trying to show what you're capable, instead of, well, bragging about your capabilities. Let's see more of this. :)

However, I have a little constructive criticism to make:

• The 'seeker' is rather hard to see in all the pictures you post. I'm not sure of the set-up of EI, but I'm sure you could add a few more lights to the scene, then I could see it better and be able to comment on it a little better.
    • I think the surface of the head thingy is a bit too rough. The main problem is, it's shiny, and rough. Most droids have a rather smooth surface, without a lot of specularity. Your droid looks quite out of place with a rocky texture and lots of specularity.
    • The lens flare. Lens flares come from really bright light sources that cause reflactions in the lens. I don't see ANY light sources in your shot, so the lens flare really should go.
    • All together the model doesn't seem to 'flow' It has different trextures for all teh different parts, and it doesn't seem that there is any continuity in the model.
  13. DarkATX Force Ghost

star 4
    Look Macho you have nothing to be ashamed of...it's an excellent looking model!
    The first pic needed zooming out for clarity but the second pic makes the viewer go "Ahhhh" :)
    The textures are compelling and the overall look of the driod struck me as extremely alien...and that's just another word for original!
    I like it..Thumbs up!
    :D
  14. Ryebread Jedi Knight

star 1
    My comments don't factor in your level of experience or the level of realism you hope to achieve, they are simply my observations for better or worse.

1. The model appears very simple in design with no small details. As such it is hard to tell the relative size of the droid let alone front from back. Adding details such as wiring, bolts, hatches, lights, etc would help raise the level of realism. Also, are the "wings" necessary for flight or do they help with steering? As they stand now they are simply sticking out with end shapes that would likely hinder flight. If it relies on repulsors for flight (as do all flying droids from what I know) do the wings really serve a purpose or are they simply cosmetic?

2. The textures don't look real. The top of the droid is way too glossy and the bump maps make it too organic looking. You explained that the droid is dirty and beat up but this is simply over-the-top. Tone down your specular level and bump quite a bit. If you want dents in the droid then use masking in the bumpmap to create random areas of damage (not all over as it is now). Also fix the texture stretching on the engine supports.

3. Consider mapping with levels of detail instead of one map to do it all. If there are metal plates that make up the droid's top section then use that as the first level of detail. Then within the plates you create a second level of detail that may define bolts, scratches, smaller plates, etc.

4. Keep making improvements and post future updates. Good job!
  15. Ptx Jedi Master

star 4
    Good job Macho, you are starting to produce some of the results you talk about all the time! :)

Personally I find the top of the droid very organic and wet-look, and to me this doesn't seem to blend well with the rugged metal look of the rest of the model.

Just my opinion. :D

And to some of you out there, let's give him a break and let him learn. Daft is right, we should see 1st results of anything, and we can be contructive. Keep it coming Macho.

I talk about Lightwave sometimes, but you never see any of my original work. There is a reason for that...a good reason. So for now, Macho is the master. I mean it was only the other day I learned how to bevel. Beveling is so cool! It's the new Rock'n'Roll, I'm telling ya...

Pete

PS - Don't get any ideas Macho, I only said for now :p
  16. Macho Jedi Master

star 4
    I want all of you to remember that this is a work in progress like my whole film and everyone elses film thats in production...Here is a new picture with a few changes. I also added a background to hopefully allow you to see the model better.
    [image=http://yankscatcher.tripod.com/wip/seekertextured3.txt]
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.