main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mary Fanfilm Only Forum

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Mogook, Jun 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    With the development of the fanfilm moving forward, the forum is bound to become cluttered with fanfilm discussion. Keeping all the discussion in one thread wouldn't help much because there are many topics that need attention.

To address this, I proposed at the meeting that I can install a forum onto the website that can be used for the fanfilm.

The downsides are the forum won't be connected with this. So, you'll have to register for the new forum and the post counts there won't affect this one. Another thing is that I don't want this forum to become neglected. This forum is still the central location for discussion for the Fanforce. The other forum would only be for the fanfilm.

I just wanted to see what all of you thought about opening a fanfilm only forum.

2. gh0stdevil

gh0stdevil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2002
    I think it's a good idea. I myself wouldn't mind registering again for a new forum, and it'd provide security, privacy, and spamless discussions.

I'm for it.

-gh0st/Chris/Assistant Director? ;)/TK-404, personal bodyguard to evil politician

3. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    Exactly. Security, privacy, and spamless discussions would be provided.

And to answer your side note, an AD is a good idea. Plus, a bodyguard to the evil politician is a possible character.

4. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Edit: Der, I was posting in two forums and posted the same thing twice. Anyway, I think it would be a good idea to create a message board for the fanfilm on the website. It would be a good way to keep things in one place and keep outside sources from taking our ideas from us.

5. mon-mothma

mon-mothma Jedi Master star 2

Mar 7, 2002
    Great idea, Mogook! I vote to establish the new forum and would look forward to having our fan film business conducted in that more focused, private location. Thanks for taking care of this for us.

M.M.

P.S. Son of M.M. concurs! :)

6. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    I'll get this up as soon as I have the chance. I think I know what software I'll use. But installing it may take some time.

In the meantime, we can discuss the different categories for it. With these forums here, there's a section called Star Wars Films, and within that section are difference categories (AOTC, Ep3, etc.). We need to think of what sections and what categories we want for our forum.

I suppose there could be three general sections: Pre-Production, Production, Post-Production. Within each category could be certain sections. Like in the Post-Prod, there could be Lightsaber, Ship, etc. I don't know, these are just suggestions.

7. gh0stdevil

Jun 3, 2002
    I think there should be sections for each part of the movie...ideas would be:

General Discussion/Announcements
    Directing/Filming
    Editing/Software
    Characters/Actors/Actresses
    Script/Screenplay
    Costumes/Props

I'm sure there are others, I'll be thinking of them. In the mean time, I highly recommend this site:

http://www.theforce.net/theater/

for info on filmmaking in general, but also alot of great hints/tips for people doing Star Wars fan films.

Take care,
    -gh0st/Chris

8. sithspawn35

sithspawn35 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2001
    I just finished watching the DVD of "George Lucas in Love." I strongly recommend viewing this BEFORE we get far into production of our own film. Especially the behind the scenes section. A LOT of REALLY good info on making a short film, and potential costs. (this film was nine minutes long....and cost $25,000.00 to make.)
    Just some food for thought.

9. gh0stdevil

Jun 3, 2002
    Bumping this up...are we getting a forum on the website, Mogook?

-gh0st

10. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    Yes, I downloaded the software and it looks to be easy to install.

Still though, we should finalize the sections.

11. mon-mothma

Mar 7, 2002
    How about these for sections:

Screenplay - writing and storyboards

Casting and Locations

Filming - Camera work, Lighting, Sound

Costumes and Makeup

Editing

Visual Effects

Plus, I would think that the Director should have his own section for posting of general information and news for the cast and crew.

12. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    Those are good ideas M.M.

I also wanted to think of ideas for the Categories. The forum will be like this one. There are Categories, and within these categories are the forums. And within the forums are all the threads. For example, the front page of the JC has all the categories (Welcome, The Star Wars Films, ..., FanForce USA - NorthEast, ...). And when you click on FanForce NorthEast, you get a list of the forums within that category (Hartford, CT; Washington, DC; Boston, MA; Maryland; ...). Then, when you click on Maryland you get the threads for that forum.

My point is that are the previous suggestions categories or forums? We need to work on the hierarchy for the forum:

Like this (just an example):

GENERAL ----------------------------------
    Announcements
    Miscellaneous

PRE-PRODUCTION ---------------------------
    Screenplay
    Location Scouting
    Casting

PRODUCTION --------------------------------
    Film Schedule
    (can't think of anything else)

POST-PRODUCTION ---------------------------
    Editing
    Visual FX
    Reshoots
    (other stuff)

That's just an example of how the hierarchy works.

13. DRK_HLMT

Dec 7, 2001
    Mogook, have you looked at these boards at PHPBB. They have customizable boards and you can categorize the forums.

Here are the requirements for the board

Installation of phpBB 2.0.1 requires the following:

A webserver or web hosting account running on any major Operating System
    A SQL database system, one of:
    MySQL (3.22 or higher)
    PostgreSQL 7.0.3 or higher (preferably 7.1.x or 7.2.x)
    MS SQL Server (7 or 2000) directly or via ODBC
    MS Access (2000 or XP) via ODBC
    PHP (3.0.9 and above or preferably a recent 4.x) with support for the database you intend to use above
    If your server or hosting account does not meet the requirements above I am afraid phpBB 2.0 is not for you.

EDIT: Also Boardhost is a free message board site, but doesn't offer as much.

14. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    I've seen them, but I'm gonna go with IBForums.

15. DRK_HLMT

Dec 7, 2001
    Okay, they are good as well. Hey, if you need some extra money to keep the site and the boards running just let me know. I know you haven't mentioned this in a while but isn't the website still charging to keep it up?

16. mon-mothma

Mar 7, 2002
    Your hierarchy is perfect, Mogook! It covers everything and is concise and straightforward. I say go with it!

Did DrkHlmt say that you are personally paying for this site to be up? If its true we have to change that; its not exactly what I'd call fair. If that is so please let us know on the board so we can all make plans to chip in and pay our share.

Thanks for all your work!

M.M.

17. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    Yep, it's still costing money. If you wanted to donate some money, that would be helpful. With all the new members, each member could contribute a buck and that should almost cover the domain registration and hosting account. If someone wanted to contribute more, that would be nice.

EDIT: Yes M.M., I'm paying for it. A while ago, we were discussing fees and contributing money but nothing was finalized and it never happened. Not only would money be helpful, but once I get the new site design up and the new news script, I'd like some help maintaining it.

EDIT 2: About my hierarchy, I was posting that as an example. I still think it's missing a few things, but I would love for someone to add on to it.

18. gh0stdevil

Jun 3, 2002
    Mogook, you're near UMBC right? In the next few days, let me know when you have some free time, and I'll stop by and get you some cash flow. I agree with Mon Mothma, it's not cool for you to be floating the whole load. Also, it'd be cool to maybe grab lunch or something and talk about the techie part of the film.

Here are my submissions, additions/comments in ()s:

GENERAL ----------------------------------
    Announcements
    (Film Production Meetings: discussion, logs of, etc)
    Miscellaneous

PRE-PRODUCTION ---------------------------
    Screenplay (also Script)
    Location Scouting
    Casting (and Characters: concepts, backgrounds, bios, etc)
    (Costumes + Makeup)
    (Concept Art: any drawings of characters, scenery, etc)

PRODUCTION --------------------------------
    Film Schedule

POST-PRODUCTION ---------------------------
    Editing
    Visual FX
    (Audio FX)
    Reshoots
    (Distribution)
    (Wrap Party Planning!!!)

My main suggestion is to put the Film Schedule board in the General group, and do away with the Production group, because we're going to need to use the other boards during production as well, so there really isn't a huge need for it's own group...

Re: Distribution -- I have a friend with a DVD burner, so we can all have our own DVD copies, but we should also discuss where else to distro the movie...

-gh0st / Chris

19. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah, I think it'd be great to get together and go over some tech stuff. I'll find out when I have some time.

The hierarchy sounds good. I won't have a lot of time today to work on the forum, but that does leave more time for people to submit ideas.

20. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Well I had a couple of ideas on distribution. First, the DVD is an awesome idea, but how about VHS as well? Another media for distribution would be online at ATOM films an/or other Star Wars fan film websites.

Also, on another note I have an HP OfficeJet G85 All-in-one (fax/flatbed scanner/copier/printer), which means I could do the advertising/promo materials, dvd/tape labels, and any other publication material we may want to put out for this project. It really is an awesome printer package. So anything we want to put on paper or labeling, I can do. So sign me up for the distribution and advertising/promotion departments!

And another thought, since Isbeth has been practically begging for us to come to WV (If you've seen the Mothman Prophecies, trust me, I feel your angst!) to do a party at her planetarium, I propose we make our premiere there. I know its a long drive for some (Sithspawn!), but for such a big event, it would definitely be worth it to go all out!

21. gh0stdevil

Jun 3, 2002
    MuttandSolo: GREAT ideas!!

Yes, must have premiere at planetarium. Yes. Big screen....mmmmmmm... *gh0stdevil goes off in a trance*....

Anyhoo, how much did you spring for that printer combo? I'm looking for one myself and am shopping at the moment.

As for Distro, yeah, Atom films is cool, as is fanforce.net's film force (duh), and "friends and relatives". =) VHS isn't hard at all to do if anyone has a double cassette 4-head VCR.

Take care,
    gh0stdevil / Chris

22. Takwolf

Takwolf Jedi Master star 2

May 9, 2002
    Hi Guys
    Just wanted to let you know you can count me for help with the web site ie. Cost $$ and help maintaining it. I have CIW Certs and would love to help.
    Also my sony digital cam is still at your disposal.

Sorry I could not make it to the last meeting but I have made plans to be at the next.

Tak

23. gh0stdevil

Jun 3, 2002
    Bumping this.

If anyone has any additional ideas regarding forum topics, please feel free to add/change my last post to include your ideas. I wanted to gently push this topic along because the longer we wait, the bigger chance nothing gets done.

Mogook, when can we meet re: film geekery? ;)

-gh0stdevil/Chris

24. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    gh0stdevil, I can meet anytime.

25. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Hey Mogook,
    Have you created the forums for our website yet? Was just wondering what kind of time frame we're looking at as far as gettng things rolling. I have a beard and hair to grow for my role!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.