main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mary FanFilm(s)

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by sithspawn35, May 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Takwolf

Takwolf Jedi Master star 2

May 9, 2002
    Great to hear the cam will work.

Also if you need some help in the FX Department here is
    some of my work
    I am Good with Bryce 4 / Poser 4 stills but I just started working with anamation.

Let me know if and how I can help!

Takwolz

2. DarthMaulX2

DarthMaulX2 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    righte-o. just email me if you want me to do something specificly.

3. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I can help with costumes (if someone fixes my sewing machine!) special effects and I have software that you can use to edit sound on your computer. I can also do pirotechnics if you wish to blow something up and still have my laser licence intact for any use you see fit.

4. mon-mothma

mon-mothma Jedi Master star 2

Mar 7, 2002
    I was wondering...is there some reason why we can't do a film meeting on a Sunday? I notice that everyone's Saturday's fill up quickly, and with talk of wanting to take a film meeting prior to June 22nd, how about a Sunday meeting? June 9th or 16th rather than their respective Saturdays? I'm trying to get a bit more expansive in thinking as a family event on June 22nd may be looming which would prevent our attendance at the Fanforce meeting already scheduled. An alternate meeting of a Sunday for discussion of the movie would help immensely. A thought.

M.M.

5. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    When we were planning the first meeting months ago this came up. It seemed that most people preferred Sat. over Sun.

6. mon-mothma

Mar 7, 2002
    But what about for an ad hoc meeting to facilitate beginning the project? I'm not clear if Sunday is totally out altogether or just as a regular, ongoing meeting day.

M.M.

7. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Hey Takwolf, that's some great work you did there on your site. I'm fairly proficient in Bryce 3D and some 3D Studio Max with creating landscapes and space scenes, but I haven?t got a clue when it comes to character animation using Poser. Maybe we can get together at the meeting and chat about doing some models.

8. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    takwolf, that is some awesome stuff. That's exactly the kind of stuff we'd need for the movie.

I've only just started fooling around with Bryce, so I don't know that much. Hopefully at the next meeting we can all talk about the software and some tips.

9. gh0stdevil

gh0stdevil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2002
    I'd love to help out on this. I can provide at least one biker scout (me), and I have a Sony digital cam corder similar to Takwolf's. No tripod, but I can get one by the time production starts.

This may help for shots where alot of action happens, so in order to get two angles, it's easier with two cameras, as opposed to stopping everything and then moving the camera, and starting it all up again.

I also have mondo experience in Photoshop and Bryce, as well as 3DS Max 4.2, for 3d/CGI effects.

Also, depending how long shooting goes for, I will have my StormTrooper armor finished, and/or my Imperial Guard armor. Who knows...

gh0stdevil
    TK-404
    (or in this case, TB-404)

10. sithspawn35

sithspawn35 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2001
    I am not sure if this was decided or not, but............Would it not be better to have the film set post ROTJ? That way you would not have the confines of fitting things between movies. Also, a much broader secection of characters. (And potentially more sithlords!)

Just a thought.

Ian

11. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    That's a good idea. My idea took place around the time of Episode II but I realized I wouldn't be able to have any Sith lords because Sidious and Tyranus are the only ones during this time. It would be nice to limit the restrictions put on our ideas.

12. DRK_HLMT

Dec 7, 2001
    Yeah, the post OT could give us more leeway into our storyline, better technology and ships. If we go PT, then the Sith may be cut out, but you can always use Dark Jedi I guess. If we go with post OT we can pretty much come up with whatever we like.

13. sithspawn35

sithspawn35 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2001
    I think we all need to discuss this further in the forums to prepare for the meeting. Let the ideas, like the force, flow through us.

14. mon-mothma

Mar 7, 2002
    I like the idea of setting the story after ROTJ, too. As Sith says, that way we can have a much wider range of potential characters so nobody has to get left out. I have a tripod if one is needed for the second camera. No need to go out and buy one unless you want to.

M.M.

15. Fipe_Naz-mero

Fipe_Naz-mero Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2002
    Dear Members:
    So it's decided. A question I do have: do we meet at 1:00PM (1300Hrs) for this film meeting? Or is it at another time?

Thanks for your time.
    May the Force be with you... Always.
    Fipe Naz-Mero, JK
    USA-NE REGION
    CHARM CITY COUNCIL FAN FORUM
    CALIFORNIA MD

16. gh0stdevil

Jun 3, 2002
    I'd like to bring up a few thoughts. I've watched my fair share of fanfilms, and there are some things that bug me:

1)Yes, Jedi ARE cool. They're neat. They have nifty lighty swords that make cool WANG...WANG! sounds when you swing them. But why, oh WHY, must there be 4569387 Jedi and 5267 Sith Lords in every fan film? Fan films tend to go overboard with Jedi, and leave out a bazillion other cool aspects of the SW universe. If you still want a movie based on...Jedi...fighting...Sith Lords...then cool, who am I to say that's a bad idea? But I should think if we want to be unique and/or innovative, perhaps we can focus on some other cool aspects (and I don't mean Bounty Hunters). I guess it just bugs me that everyone and their brother in the Star Wars fandom wants to be (in no particular order): A Jedi, A Bounty Hunter, or a Sith Lord. =P Just a pet peeve. =)

2)Sound -- VERY VERY VERY few fan films have good sound. I can probably get my hands on a boom mic, but it may cost us a small fee. If we plan shooting dates very well, we can keep this fee to a minimum. Good sound will make our film excel, no doubt.

3)Fan..FILM? -- This is another pet peeve. I don't know if you can call a 17 minute piece about 2 or 3 Sith Lords attacking a Jedi Academy a FILM. I, apparently, am in the minority. A film should be epic, that's what the Star Wars films were. This requires planning, good writing, organization, and donuts. Which leads me to #4...

4)There is no #4.

5)Am I going overboard? Was this fan film project meant to be a "hey, let's go make a movie!" thing, or was it meant to be a serious attempt at a creative vision expertly executed, in the Star Wars genre/theme? If it is the former, I'll shush, and let you guys roll! If it's the latter, perhaps we should start at the beginning - the script - and discuss how we want it to be written/edited/etc.

But again, I am offering you the chance to tell me to be quiet on this. =) Take it or leave it.

-- gh0stdevil

17. mon-mothma

Mar 7, 2002
    I'm all for good storytelling; it's the core of any film worth watching. The special effects are neat to create and fun to watch but it's the story and the characters that make me want to see a movie again and again.

I'm with you, GhostDevil. Let's tell a story with this movie; it could be a great experience.

18. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    gh0stdevil, I think we want to accomplish both. We obviously want to have a lot of fun and make a movie, but ultimately, we should give this thing our best effort. I think we should really get serious about this and make a great story.

Let's have fun, but let's also have an amazing movie to show for it.

19. DRK_HLMT

Dec 7, 2001
    Actually gh0stdevil, I have wanted to play a pirate. Maybe force sensitive but I want to be a fighter pilot or capitol ship commander. I would love to command a fleet.

20. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    And I was interested in playing a corrupt politician. Maybe I hire the pirate DRK_HLMT plays.

21. Grover

Grover Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2002

I know this doesn't help and no one cares, but if you get the chance, check out my Fan Film, shot in southern PA, not too awfully far from some of you...

It was shot 3 years ago, and just finished recently.

groverishness

22. gh0stdevil

Jun 3, 2002
    Grover...

I'd love to watch the film. However, all of the links for the feature film don't work, they give me 404 errors. What's up?

-gh0st

23. mon-mothma

Mar 7, 2002
    I have a storyline using a Jedi Master, Apprentice, Sith Lord, corrupt politician, bounty hunter, good politician, and space pirate, which are the characters I've read about in this thread. I'll bring it to the June 22nd meeting.
    See you then!

Son of M.M.

24. DRK_HLMT

Dec 7, 2001
    Here's a problem I ran into this weekend while I was horsing around with some lightsaber rotoscoping. Doing shots in the daytime with a bright background is very difficult to do with lightsaber rotoscoping. Some of the stills I was doing turned out bad because you could barely see the saber glow and it looked all washed out. Now I know why GL didn't like doing long saber fights on Tatooine. The blue saber is almost invisible when doing daylight shots. So if we are doing saber shots, it would be advisable to do them indoors or if we do outdoor shots, do them at dusk or dawn. If anyone has been able to do good rotoscoping in the daytime, then let me in on your secret!! Especially the blue saber. It's the hardest to rotoscope in daylight.

25. Fipe_Naz-mero

Fipe_Naz-mero Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2002
    Dear Members:
    Depending on how things are going I want to propose this... how does a real MIL Hangar sounds to shoot a scene? Of course, there are some details I might to work... but is a good idea. Any comments on this?

May the Force be with you... Always.
    Fipe Naz-Mero, JK
    USA-NE REGION
    CHARM CITY COUNCIL FAN FORUM
    CALIFORNIA MD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.