main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanfilm ship WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by foxbatkllr, Aug 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    WIP

I posted this in the Sci-Fi 3d forum as well but you know how long it takes to get a response out of that forum...

Anyways, let me know what you think. The front half is not detailed yet so I'd say it's about half done 8-} and of course not even textured yet.

2. MattesKrymsod

MattesKrymsod Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    Sweet!

Now I shall steal it and call it my own for my Spaceport scene...

NOBODY shall know twas yours to begin with...

MUAHAHAHAHHAAH!!!

3. JoeSunrider

JoeSunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    I must apologize for my friend here. We've been up way too late.
    By the way, looks awesome.

4. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Just a suggestion.

(keep in mind this is of course hypothetical)

When designing a ship idealy you would only include whats needed to make it practicle. IE You wouldnt add useless protrusions that dont have a reason to be there. What im mainly refering to is the squared off slightly angled "wings" for lack of a better word. The ship looks cool but those wings, in my mind, couldnt possibly serve any use. They arnt aero dynamic so they certainly wouldnt help the craft in atmosphere, actually they would probably hinder it. There doesnt seem to be any kind of engines attached to them.

I understand its a WIP, but those are just some thought on it, otherwise looks good.

5. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Maybe the wings carry hazardous fuel and as a safety measure, the fuel is stored away from the hull ;)

The ship looks cool.

Have fun.

6. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Thanks for the feedback. I understand what you are saying about the wings doing nothing. However, I think they look cool ;). I will probably add some guns on the end, that way they will serve a very important purpose. Besides, just look at the X-Wing. The s-foils opening and closing should make no difference in space.

7. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Anyone else?

8. Lots

Lots Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    nope >: )

heh looking good .. u've added ALOT more since u showed me last.. maybe u can find some way to have the wings make a more gradual extrusion from the side of the ship .. insted of the box like structure they are now

Darned limiter not letting me post more than once in a minute :)

9. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Okay so clearly the wings are what need the most tweaking. I'll see what I can do, but I remember when I originally built the basic shape, whatever I tried to do to the wings ended up looking stupid. So I left them like they are now. I could perhaps thin them out a little bit, but the picture is a bit deceiving. If you look at the wings straight from behind or front they look more aerodynamic.

10. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Update: Most of the detail has now been added. The wings have been changed to be more "aerodynamic" and gun turrets have been added to them as well.

Updated Ship

11. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Hmmm. Well adding fins is an idea for aero dynamic but i dont think the way you did it fits into the general style of the model very well. And to clarify by aero dynamic I mean the shape of a planes wing, The problem with your wings is they fave a flat face, if they are actually intended as wings. If they serve some other purpose than wings IE places to mount large storage containers or shield generators then they would be fine it seems, though a little long.

In the end this is your model and you should do what you want. Im just giving you my not so humle opinions which you can take or leave as you wish. But again good work.

12. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    I think it looks cool.

13. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Yeah I knew what you meant, Shawn, about how they have a flat face. I was hoping to sort of balance that out by adding those fins. I also understand what you're saying about them not fitting the style of the rest of the ship. I kept the old wings, so I may just go back to that. Another option would be to add more gun turrets on the wings. If I added two more to each side, then it would definitely be serving a purpose.

EagleI, thanks.

14. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    What size do you have in mind? I didn't notice an obvious cockpit. To me, it looks like this design would be a great capital ship, star destroyer size. Then you have the added benefit of not needing it to be aerodynamic.

Just a thought.

15. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    but... but no ships are really all that aerodynamic anyways... starships don't rely on lift, so it doesn't matter :D

16. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Well I envisioned something closer to the size of a Corellian Corvette, probably smaller. The cockpit is that one window at the front (up close it's several windows). However, I'm not completely settled on the size. It has to be believable that my two characters own the ship but it has tons of storage room and stuff. It's a very big ship but not SD size.

I'd really like to hear any ideas you guys might have for the cockpit.

17. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    That would work, too. My point was it didn't look starfighter sized, that's all.

I like it.

18. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Thanks. Yeah it's not really starfighter size. I wouldn't envision it getting into a dogfight or something. It's more of a small freighter I think.

19. Ben-Kushaan_Exile

Ben-Kushaan_Exile Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 29, 2000
    It looks pretty, nice detail. I think it looks more like a starship bridge console, but still.. great job!

20. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    It looks pretty, nice detail. I think it looks more like a starship bridge console, but still.. great job!

Thanks...yeah I guess it does kinda look like a console, lol. Never really thought about that before. I'm sure that will change once texturing is done though.

21. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    the command bridge window shouldn't be a rectangle... they're going to want to have as large a field of view as possible, plus rectangles are lame.

22. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    Yeah I know the cockpit is lame, so what is your suggestion? I'm stumped as to what I should do to improve that part.

23. Pixelito

Apr 16, 2002
    no idea... see the bridge is exposed to a flat wall, so that poses a problem... maybe if you extrude that and make the bridge a jutting formation with like a 180* view, that might be cool.

24. foxbatkllr

Jul 27, 2001
    That could work, thanks for the idea!

25. borjis fett

borjis fett Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 1999
    "Besides, just look at the X-Wing. The s-foils opening and closing should make no difference in space."

Just for firing weapons :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.