main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanFilm...what happened?

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by Jedi_Knight_Isadore, Jul 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Knight_Isadore

Jedi_Knight_Isadore Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    Okay, I know Eric was talking about us making a fanfilm for FilmCon. Its been several weeks and no word about it...so what happened? Are we still doing it? Is the interest still there? I know I would be willing to help out in any way possible. Writing, camera work, editing, these are things I ca probably do. I know I would not want to be in front of the camera because I have no acting ability, but will do whatever behind the camera. Please let me know, expecially you Eric, because this was your idea.

Devan

2. dparis

dparis Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    i'm interested in behind the camera work... The camera work itself, i guess!

-_dparis

3. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    I think it should be explained that this fan film idea started as a joke that one of us made in passing. Eric just blew it out of proportion.

Anybody else wanna back me up on that?

4. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    The fan film is an idea brought up by Dan and expanded upon by the rest of the group one night at Chumley's. I do have interest in doing it, but only if it's done as a fan production. *NOT* a professional production.

Jeff

5. jedihexer

jedihexer Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2002
    Yes I want to do the film! No I was not just blowing it out of proportion...and yes we will do it. The problem is the script and the shooting schedule.

We will not beble to use my brothers office until later in the fall. So all I need to have help on is the script! So if people want to help on that first...that would be where it would start!

Anyone? Bueller???

6. Jedi_Knight_Isadore

Jedi_Knight_Isadore Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 1, 2002
    I would be more than willing to help with the script writing. Eric, please let me know how you want me to help, for I have never written a script before, only a bunch of stories.

Devan

7. REBADAMS7

REBADAMS7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    I too can assist on the script - how about a quick synopsis of what you want to see and I'll get you a 'treatment"
    POV the droid
    An office - midday with some activity
    "Oh My...We're doomed"
    Reb

8. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Like I said, this has all been blown out of proportion.

9. jedihexer

Apr 17, 2002
    Tom- What has been blown out...

I wish you would not say such things on the board. We will do this, it is a matter of time. If you don't want to be a part of it, so be it. But stop leaving silly remarks on this thread just to get people riled up.

I am willing to work with people on the script. And yes we will be shooting it.

O.K.?

Eric

10. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    I know Eric is serious about this fan film and fully intends to go through with it.

Tom, you're back on the boards for what...a week...and already causing trouble! Please, we don't need a blow-up like the last situation.

Eric, you know I'll help in whatever you want me to do, whatever I can do...even if it's just a script girl.

11. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Eric, I think what's wrong here is that this idea started as a joke. You know, one of those things people sometimes say that aren't meant to be taken seriously. The problem that Jeff and I and a few others have with this is that the joke has been mutated into an elaborate, expensive production.

I'm not trying to rile people up. Far from it. I'm trying to calm them down. Listen to Jeff (and you new kids out there listen to Bishop76).

Dan, we could sure use your input in here. Apparently everything I say is a "silly remark."

12. jedihexer

Apr 17, 2002
    Did anyone say how exspensive this would be? Or what it would intail? The fact is it would be a VERY CHEAP film to make...under $200. We will be using a state of the art production house for free. No real SPFX and no actors...just fans acting silly.

If there are some of you who feel I blew this up way out of proportion I would like to know.I would also like to remind them they do not have to take part in this.

The fact is I do intend on making this little 10 minute film. Will it make cinema history- NO! But it wil be fun to do, and If ANYONE wants to help they are more than invited,

I did open my mouth once, and said I would run a convention...I have done it 3 times. Now I am saying I will make a film. It might take some time but we will do it, as friends and fans. The fact is people do want to contribute...so please don't call enthusiasm a big blown up idea, it's not.

It's called creativity...I tend to be more excited about things than others. If that is a crime with the group let me know. I won't be anymore.

13. jedihexer

Apr 17, 2002
  14. dparis

dparis Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    well, i'm new, i don't really know most of the people around here, but ya'll sound creative and devoted, and I believe that if you can and want to do this, you will. As much as scheduling permits, I'd love to help in any way possible.
    -_dparis

15. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Okay, Eric, that's a lot different from the impression I was getting the last time we talked about this idea. I'm not trying to discourage anybody from getting involved with this if they want to. I just wanted to make sure the intentions were clear.

Sorry, Eric.

16. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    I'm in. I'll act, manage, and/or put my theatre skills to some use. (As long as I'm not in rehearsal at the time the film is being made.)

17. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    Eric, I would help with script writing. I am no actor. As for this being a joke, it has been an idea I have heard kicked around in conversations numerous times since May of last year (2002). I understood it to be a serious idea from day one. Whether the Chumley crew has discussed it in jest I do not know since I was not privy to those conversations. I don't recall either Tom, Dan or Jeff being involved any of the times I heard it discussed. If you see is as a joke, then don't participate.

18. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Uh... Are we talking about the same thing here? ?[face_plain]

19. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    Obviously not so let's move on.

20. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    Aaaaaaaaaannd...... They're off.

Already starting the cannibalization. Wonderful.

Dan (Mauler_) was the person who broke the specific idea to some of us, including me. In other words, I heard about it from him. I recall talk of doing a fan film at the MAM meeting. Nothing solid came of it, other than the magnitude of interest. Then Dan told me (there were others there, but I can't remember specifically whom) about the specific idea. I thought it would be funny and fun. How serious everyone was about actually doing it, I don't know. It has been tossed around in conversations a bit, but nothing had been pursued any further than that (that I know of) until the gathering at Dan's place in late June. And that would be when Eric was pitching more specific ideas and letting us know of the resources we would have available to us. To be quite honest I didn't take to some of the ideas presented, but they were good and thoughtful ideas nonetheless.

This seems to be a problem of perception. I have personally been in on conversations where we joke about fan films, including the one we are interesting in producing. So in some sense, this has been a joke. But a joke which I believe many of us are willing to get in on.

Including myself. I would like to help in any way I can. I see many people interested in writing the script. May I caution that having too many cooks may spoil the broth (or whatever that idiom is). What may be a good idea is to have one or two people actually write the script (preferably someone with experience in this area. Script writing is different than your basic story writing), but have everyone contribute ideas. Hopefully the screenwriters would be able to incorporate as many as the ideas as possible.

I would be avaiable to do any on camera, behind the camera, in a tech booth, slapping that little chop-chop thingy to indicate the beginning of the take, etc...

I'm also curious about where we should discuss the specifics. I mean, I'm somewhat leary about discussing them on this board, thinking that someone with not a lot of scruples would catch sight of it and steal the ideas. Any suggestions? Perhaps an actual meeting (face to face)? Of course all interested parties wouldn't be able to attend, but maybe videotaping the meeting (or audio taping) would be a good idea. That way everyone can be in on the ideas, and nothing would get lost or mixed-up in the retelling.

Okay kids. Now go outside and play nice.

;)

21. ToxicNed

ToxicNed Grand Poobah of Madison WI - FF CR star 4

May 2, 2002
    I'd like to partake as a character in the film. I want to be an actor dagnabit!

22. LauedGiind

LauedGiind Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    It sounds cool to do a fan film. It sounds like we just need to get together like Catie said. If we want to do one, we have to start making the effort. We need to get the ideas straight by knowing who is doing a specific part in the film, how we are going to budget it out, how long it is going to take, etc. Personally, I would love to do something like this and would be interested in being an actor. I also have some type of knowledge of editing since I took a media class in my senior year of high school. Word to the wise for those who want to do script writing....it is a lot harder than it would seem to be. I did it for my media class in high school and it took me forever to write it. Enough motherly advice here...

23. jedihexer

Apr 17, 2002
    Alrighty then....

here's the poop!

First the script! Remember the idea is to make a mockumentary about how Lucasfilm has actually made Michael Jackson for the last 10 years from pixels and efx. This will be(I hope) a seroius film that is down right hysterical.

Think about it...who else is so weird and animated yet life like, hmmmmm...Jar Jar? the Hulk?..no MJ!!!!!

We should start with a meeting about the script! Like sitting down and coming up with plausible ideas, that will be presented very seriously yet be funny. Like having a 6 yr. old girl doing his voice.

My brothers company is geared for this, but like i said he is busy until later this fall. We can shoot there or maybe other places. The big thing to remember is it has to look like LFL in the computer dept.

OK- enough said those who want to help with the script- let's make a date. Lets say in the next few weeks...anyone have an idea? Remember Comicon is coming up in Chicago. So that day is out. But anything else ???

Here we go! May the Gods help us!

24. REBADAMS7

REBADAMS7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    Ohhhhhh I have such a scene in my mind's eye and since I put fibergalss panels back in my ceilling today I have tiney splinter's tooo....
    Opening POV the opening of a door - heavy breathing (the treademarked kind) revealing a table - long and dark with serveral folks seated about it - others are milling about - suddenly turning to aknoledge the prescence in the room. ( spelling is an option....)
    First Suit: Ah Lo..
    Mysery Man: Silence
    First Suit: I mean George...I'm so glad we were able to quckly convene the council...things have gotten out of hand

Indeed!
    Reb

25. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    I'm definitely interested in making this work. I think setting up a meeting is a good idea and I think that ultimately we should have only 1-3 actual scriptwriters who will try to incorporate everyone's ideas into the script.

Actual shooting can be finished up in a day more than likely (given we don't have too many location changes) and since it's a mockumentary this should be fairly easy to accomplish. Most camera work should be fairly static and most lines won't need to be memorized. Cue cards are your friend.

Post may take a little longer depending on how intricate we want to make it. Actual editting can probably be finished in a night's hard work, again because of the ease of the subject matter. Any CG stuff is out of my realm, though.

And of course, I'd like to volunteer for all aspects of this project. I've been jonesing to work on another video project for a number of years now and I'm actually excited about the pain and suffering that goes along with it.

Why don't we set a meeting date for a weekend around mid-August. Say Saturday, August 23? Any thoughts on this?

Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.