main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC Fanfilming

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Qui-Dawn, Apr 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    Okee-dokee, on the advice of our most just and noble and venerable supreme dictator, and also to wake up the ol' board here which I think, we can all agree, it could sure use....allow me to throw my hat in the ring here and see what I can come up with.

Now, I know that at least a few of us have seriously entertained the notion of making a fanfilm....and naturally there are many questions or issues or just, you know, ideas in general that people may have along those lines....I know *I* do, sure as shootin'! So, then, let's hear 'em....even general story ideas, anything you may need help with or perhaps more outside creative input or inspiration on or even just musings in general....let 'er rip. :)

And, well, I suppose I can start it off....at least inasmuch as musing about potential shooting locations is concerned; I've found a great many spots that I think would be perfectly viable, at least for my purposes....and to be sure, people may look askance at more stuff set in the forest, for instance, but it's the idea, the story that matters first, and if it takes place in a forest - which is, naturally, the easiest thing for us to find around here anyway, so it all works out that way - then that's what it'll end up being, and you know, that's not so bad at all. Just so long as it serves the purpose of the story....

So, then, a few of my interesting locations, various discoveries here and there: several spots in Beacon Hill Park and thereabouts offer themselves as places with great potential, such as some of those tree copses near the beachfront cliffs....some other small spots in the park as well, but being as a lot of it is rather high-traffic, that's something you'd have to keep in mind. Or, at least, what *I've* had to keep in mind. :) Other good spots....almost the whole of Summit Park, a pristine Gary Oak ecosystem with nooks and dips and hollows, and craggy rocks galore....personally, I find it *very* inspirational, and of all people I like to think that I know that park - growing up with it, *my* park - the best of anyone. I pride myself on that. :)

Other possibles....some parts of Mt. Doug, which I *swear* at certain times of year, if you follow just the right paths, are exactly like the Naboo forests....walkin' around in there you expect to stumble across Jedi and a battle droid army, I kid you not. ;) Mt. Tolmie, the more rocky, craggy and untouched side of it, is also a distinct possiblity....if you've ever been around it, climbing all over it and exploring the place in general, then you know exactly what I'm talking about. For very good reason did I once play at ambushing war tactics with a friend up there....*loads* of fun, let me tell you. :) Also, if it's still viable in terms of some of its more wild spots....I suppose maybe part of Fort Rodd Hill or the university campus up on....it's....well, I'm experiencing a brain freeze at the moment so I can't think of the name, but it's the campus that used to be the junior military training site....we all know which one I mean, right? Right? :) Also potentially good, there....

Also....what about Cathedral Grove, the Goldstream Park area....Sooke Potholes....Island View Beach and other places of the like? And even Botanical Beach as well....yes, it's way the heck out and gone, a *long* trek up-Island, I'll agree....been there myself so I know what a drive that is....but oh, boy, is it *ever* worth it. It could be a very appropriate spot, mesa thinks....

Here's a question for general consumption, though.... Does anyone know how, or where, I would be able to either find or, I suppose, even mock up or make - i.e. with Styrofoam blocks or something - the impression of actual ruins, as in, stone buildings that have been blasted to pieces and whatnot? With columns and such? At least in part, I was potentially planning to go for that kind of ancient, timless and epic feel....i.e. like Roman or Grecian columns and whatnot, stone ruins, just a general impression of a place of ancient secrets....that kind of thing. Picture it in your head, and

2. Master_Dao_Rin

Master_Dao_Rin Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2002
    Well, not to rain on anybody's parade, but it'll cost money to film at any public place; we need permits and insurance and stuff. So, there is that.

3. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Permits and such? Understood....although it may not be as much an issue or concern depending on the park in question, for instance. I would think it tends to be more of a concern if someone wants to film something right smack-dab in the middle of the city....or in a residential area....at least, where filming might get potentially loud and/or disruptive in that case. Ah, how fortunate we are to have some much parkland to retreat to. :)

Also - it's my understanding that it can help a great deal to mention that you are a student filmmaker, and that the project you're working on, say, is something for class; I gather that this can go a long way towards smoothing out any potential bumps in the road. :)

Still, what I think it comes down to is that if we're nice and polite and we're sure to not destroy any property, as obviously we *won't*....then there shouldn't be any problems. I have the sneaking suspicion that the people we talk to in this regard, if necessary, will be perfectly accomodating. I feel good about that. :)

So....let's hear some of those ideas! More, c'mon! ::makes a rolling, get-a-move-on motion::

Dawn.

4. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Oh, alright, fine....I'll come up with something more. So there. :) Is that the chirping of crickets I hear? But, yeah, at any rate, here's something to consider: what about the matter of finding inspiration for a character's personality, their mannerisms or how you want them to come off in the film, from other sources....other shows and films?

In my own experience - and I'm thinking of when I write or brainstorm for Sithly characters here - I've found it very useful indeed to explore these external sources for inspiration or ideas. Like picking-and-choosing the aspects that best suit your story, it also helps give you an even clearer mental image, I think, of just who that character is to you, why they act the way they do, and how, in your mind, they would interact with others. If it helps grant you an even better idea on where to take the character, then it can only be extraordinarily helpful and beneficial, and really, I can't recommend it enough. :)

And I can say this much at least....that if you happen to be writing a Sithly character, and even a female one in particular, just right - then you might be surprised at just how much inspirational, useful material there really is out there. It's at once startling, encouraging, and hugely inspiring....I honestly don't know how I'd get along without it. :)

C'mon, now....ideas! Let's have it! More ideas....can't ever have too many....

Dawn.

5. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    A sithly female character? Well, I haven't written a story in a long time, as Derisa can well testify, but if I was going to write a story or screenplay and needed inspiration, I'd rent Fatal Attraction for starters. Dangerous Liasons also springs to mind for creating a pattern for an evil calculating, sithly female.

For combat scenes, I'd look to movies with "chicks in chainmail" like Red Sonja, Conan the Barbarian, or Willow, and also cavelier period films involving sword-weilding women like the Three Musketeers sequel, Twenty Years After. And of course, let us not forget TV shows like Xena and Hercules for an endless supply of sithly, sword-weilding female characters!

I'm sure I could think of more sources if I put my mind to it, though.

- Rani

6. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    True, all of that....very good point. :) You mentioned looking at "Xena" and "Hercules" as offering inspiration for Sithly females....also true, certainly, and I'm thinking here of two in particular that I've been using for my own notions....in other words, kept them very close, very immediately in mind, and they tend to influence the mental picture I have of the character....the mannerisms....even to the inflection and patterns of speech. What can I say, when it fits, then it fits with a vengeance....hoo boy....

For me, then, two of the best from "Xena" at least have been Callisto (Hudson Leick)....you know, before that whole heaven-hell pseudo-redemption kick. Up until then she was *so* deliciously insane and evil....ooo, I get shivers just thinking about it. So that's *definitely* very inspiring, and as a result I keep Callisto very much in mind when I'm brainstorming and writing the stuff in question. Another excellent Sithly-type chick, a real baddie, is Livia....better known as Eve, Xena's daughter. Again, this would be Livia before she underwent that whole redemption/healing/good guy metamorphosis and kind....well....lost her edge. I still liked her, to be sure, but I knew I'd always prefer her back when she was Livia in all her bloodthirsty, cruel glory. Mmmm, Adrienne Wilkinson....really inhabited that role and, I think, also only served to help inspire *me* all the more.

So certainly I'm keeping those two very much in mind, as but one example.... But you can find inspiration other places as well, in what may seem like the most incongruous shows or films, as a matter of fact....where you might not expect it, at first blush, but just give it a chance - and then you'll be amazed and delighted by the result, that's what I've found. :)

Here's another example of interest for you....well, I *hope* it's of interest, anyway. Gee, I wonder who's been lurking in on this topic without offering their own few dataries' worth thus far....sneaky, yes, very cunning indeed! ;) But I digress. Ahem.... So, yeah - another one of the shows I've found very useful in this regard is "Buffy". Yes, that's "Buffy: The Vampire Slayer", and if you've watched it for any length of time then you'll know which female characters I'm thinking of here....Darla to a certain extent, Drusilla *certainly*....for the slinky, predatory, smooth-moving aspect of it....the soft-spoken viciousness and threat....a truly beautiful thing, that. Another good one, I've found, though we've only ever seen her twice....but what an *amazing* two times that's been!....is Vamp Willow, as seen in the third season "The Wish" and "Dopplegangland". I must say that I found *her* very inspiring indeed.

And you see, in that case at least, with Vamp Willow in those two eps....it wasn't only about her attitude, the feel of it, the way she came off in general; oh, yeah, certainly her outfit had a *lot* to do with it as well. ;) Oh wow.... Did I mention it was inspirational? :)

So I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you can find that little spark of inspiration, something to draw from, just about anywhere....doesn't have to be in a sword-wielding epic or show, it can be found in seemingly the most disparate of places....but if it works, then that's it, that's all you need to know. And you can take your cue from that, most definitely. Oh, and also....you don't even have to draw from an exclusively female character to get a good sense of what you want. Again I'll refer back to "Buffy" long enough to mention....Angelus. And if you've seen him, and this particular second-season story arc....and some of his darkest, most cruel moments....then you'll know *exactly* why that's proven, for me at least, to be very useful indeed when it comes to my own brainstorming and writing. But, yeah, you see what I'm saying here, right? That you just never know....it truly can hit you anyplace, at any time....with just about anything. And personally, I find it quite marvellous! :)

Dawn.

7. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Wow, the board's just been hoppin' lately, hasn't it? ;) I'm amazed.... Alright, then, even though I feel like I'm pretty much only answering my own posts at this point, I'll have another go at it. Can't hurt, I guess....

So, another question for everyone to ponder, bruit about and then - I would presume :) - maybe share their thoughts with the rest of us.... What do you do when you're trying to come up with names for characters? Original, fitting, good-sounding names that have that "just right" ring....if you've ever tried to pick one, or several, then you know exactly what I'm talking about. And, yeah, it can be a real brain-twister on occasion....so how do you deal with it? Have you ever looked anyplace in particular to find inspiration for a name? Is there a certain mechanism or technique that's worked well for you in this regard? C'mon, spill!

Personally, I've discovered that one potential good source for names, in particular evil Sithly names, is to look at the names of runes. You know, Nordic runes, the futhark, that kind of thing; some of them have a very sharp, edgy feel to 'em, they roll "just so" right off the tongue....and, equally as important, you can see that the name may very well fit the character you already have in mind. And that can be the hardest, yet the most crucial, fit of all to make....but oh, when it succeeds, there really is nothing better than that. :) At least, that's what *I've* found....I'm not sure about anyone else. Well, anyone else who may be checkin' up on this topic at least on occasion....and I know you are....sneaky sneaky....I'm *sure* of it. I'm watching you. :)

And you know....you can't stay silent forever....:)

Dawn.

8. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm not sure, I haven't created too many sith characters for my paltry writing, preferring to pit my protagonists against situations instead of people.

I know what I don't do when choosing a name for a Star Wars character. :) I steer clear of anything that doesn't sound original. I am mystified by fanfic writers who insist on naming their characters after Lucas' creations, like using the last name Skywalker or Kenobi, or first names like Anakin.

Only once did I ever see an author pull it off successfully, using the last name Jinn for her protagonist, who was brought to an orphanage as an unidentified baby by Qui-Gon himself, thus inheriting her benefactor's last name as an administrative convenience.

I guess the overwhelming desire to be original is my primary inspiration when coming up with ideas, names, plots, etc. It's also only one of the many reasons why I haven't really written in over a year. For the other reasons, just ask Derisa. I think she's spent more time analyzing my lack of writing and misses my storywriting more than I have.

- Rani

9. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Of course, the thing to remember is that the protagonist in any given situation is up against people, as much as the situation or the environment myself. With that interaction, there is conflict, there is drama, there is intrigue and fascination....all elements of the story that we wish to be told accordingly. The people, the characters involved, they're not the whole story or situation....but they're part and parcel of it. And to at least some extent, they're how other people connect with it....which is why I think that even elements such as finding the right name are so important. Indeed, even if only to the writer who's trying so hard to envision it all "just so"....it's all important. It all has a role to play. And I, for one, am just interested as hell to see what's made of that. :)

Dawn.

10. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Wow, look at this....I guess I really *am* a Thread Killer. I don't know whether to be more bashful or regretful, or instead filled with a strange, perverse sense of satisfaction....though not really. I *would* like very much to believe I'm not the only one reading this thread....I thought people were interested, yes? That is, people other than me? 'Cause it's feeling a bit lonely in here! Still, maybe because I don't know what else to do - I'll keep plunging ahead with it. Even if that means, as indeed it apparently does, that I'm only talking to myself. Well, I *do* have a lot of practice with that....

So....fine, then. Next question....although maybe I'm only asking it of myself at this point, but whatever.... Do you find that certain music is condusive to your writing, and in particular that it helps you to block out certain scenes? In other words, do you find that you're choosing the music to fit the scene in question, more often, or that sometimes a certain piece of music can inspire a whole new scene....and thus you end up wanting to frame the action around that musical cue alone. Speaking from experience, I know both approaches can work very, *very* well indeed....seems perfectly viable both ways. Indeed, some of my best scene brainstorming has come from one musical cue or another, as if but a few notes intricately and carefully woven together helped me to create what I couldn't have, without them. It really is a symbiotic relationship, in my opinion....a most remarkable synergy. At least, that's what *I've* found.

Dawn. (just call me Killer...Thread Killer)

11. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000

[blockquote]"I *would* like very much to believe I'm not the only one reading this thread....I thought people were interested, yes? That is, people other than me? 'Cause it's feeling a bit lonely in here!"[/blockquote]

Master_Dao_Rin showed an interest in this discussion, offering his expert feedback on filmmaking: you need a permits and insurance to film in a public place, and that costs money, which we as a group don't have. His point was a good one. Picking public locations to shoot before you even know what you're going to film, or are prepared for the costs involved, is akin to placing the cart before the dewback.

Since that aspect of the thread ended, I've made an effort to answer the two questions you've asked since that didn't relate to selecting film locations, but were part of the conceptual process.

You claim that nobody seems to be reading this thread. Are you? I didn't think you had missed my posts, since you replied to them.

"I'll keep plunging ahead with it. Even if that means, as indeed it apparently does, that I'm only talking to myself."

I take offense to this comment.

If my participation and solicited opinions on your thread are unappreciated to the point that it seems apparent to you that you are talking to yourself, I may as well stop posting here and not continue wasting your time...or mine.

- Rani

12. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    I have always liked to subscribe to the Robert Rodriguez ("From Dusk Till Dawn", "El Mariachi", "Desperado", "Spy Kids", et cetera) school of thinking....it's always seemed most preferable and reinforcingly positive by far. Namely, it is that the idea itself comes first, and once you've got that, then all other concerns and issues are minor in comparison. In his excellent book "Rebel Without A Crew", he points out that if you have ever closed your eyes and mentally played out one scene or another, in your head - then you are already a filmmaker. No further training, education or preparation is necessary. You think, therefore you are....and thinking as a filmmaker makes you one. I can really think of no more positive message than that.

In his book he also emphasizes that as the idea is tantamount - it is, after all, the reason filmmakers get into the business in the first place....it's why anyone would choose to embark upon such a venture. All for the sake of the idea, what the filmmaker wants most to portray....their own vision, which can be most intensely personal. At least, that is what I have found. And in his book, Rodriguez further explains that nothing is worse than the filmmaker, or an artist of any stripe, having to compromise their own creative vision for someone else, or for any other exterior issues or concerns. The other stuff can always be worked out, but the *idea* is truly tantamount. And nothing should compromise that, because everything else that may be of any concern - it can always be worked out, or around. But without the idea itself there in the first place - then there is truly nothing, no real way to go about it at all. Without the idea, and keeping that paramount - what would the point be?

Thus, as is his mindset, and much as he seeks to get across in "Rebel Without A Crew" - the veracity, and idealism, and creative truth of the film idea should not by necessity be compromised. There is no need for it to happen in the first place, because all other extraneous issues can always be worked around. That is, in truth, how the process happens in the first place. First, the idea....and everything that is to be hashed out along those lines, all moments of inspiration, all brainstorming....and all of it necessary. After that - any issues surrounding location shooting, permits or goodness only knows what else. That can always be dealt with in the course of production, I've always been sure of that. And such things, if they are indeed of a hyper-critical nature - though by no means something to freak out about, I've always felt - then they can be worked out in the course of things, certainly. But neither should they compromise the artistic veracity or integrity of the film idea in the first place.

The old saying tells us that "the play's the thing". And in this case - the film is the thing. And after that - everything will be just fine. That has always been my mindset, my main positive focus, and that's why I will not worry unduly over other things. The last thing that should ever be allowed to occur, after all, is that they interfere, stifle, or in any way cause hesitation or concern, with the idea that is the crux of all things. And this is why I ascribe so positively, enthusiastically and hearily to the Robert Rodriguez School of Filmmaking....because as he puts it, and of anyone *he* would certainly know - then it only proves to me what I've instinctively felt all along. I *am* a born filmmaker. I can sense it, feel it, taste it. And when his words only serve to reinforce my gut instinct, well, it is the most positive encouragement of all....a true reinforcement. And anyone who's been a real born filmmaker can only be further encouraged by it.

"Now what about all the basic technical knowledge you need to actually make a film? I think some famous filmmaker once said that all the technical stuff you need to know in order to make movies can be learned in a week. He was being generous. You can learn it in ten minutes." -- Robert Rodriguez --

Dawn.

13. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    *giggles* I just realized that this little fanfilm thread is starting to feel like my own personal diary, of sorts....yeah, an immensely public and online diary, to be sure, but a fanfilming diary nonetheless. And that's not such a bad thing, in my book. I know it helps *me*....talking these things out, if only to yourself one quiet eve or whilst walking down the street, or roaming through the park or suchlike - it truly does wonders, that's what I've found. Having an outlet always helps with that. :)

I have noticed a rather odd, confounding, and dare I say disconcerting trend in some Jedi-Sith centered fanfilms....well, the ones where Jedi play a large part, anyway. Not that there is anything wrong with that in itself, of course - heck, no! It's what *mine* is about in the first place....at least, perhaps at the very crux of it....but there's *ever*-so-much more to it than that. As there is with any good, pithy story to be told....but I digress. In some Jedi-centric fanfilms, then, what I've noticed is that people - they seem to play the Jedi as near-emotionless, automatons in many ways....as if they can't display any real emotion at all, as if it would be something far beyond their Code to do so. In other words, it seems like a great many people, in their fanfilms, treat the Jedi as if they're emotionally-stifled Vulcans. And there *is* something seriously wrong with that!

We should of course know by now that just because the Jedi, or at least some of them as we have seen, try to be stoic, calm, collected and all that....there are also times when that simply doesn't apply. Because, after all, being stoic does *not* mean being devoid of all emotional response. And it's those moments of passionate outburst, be it rage, pain, hate, sadness, joy or whatever....it's those emotional crescendoes that make the people, in this case the Jedi, *real*. Because they're not robots or Vulcans....to a one, they are all creatures of emotion. Yes, maybe widely-varying creatures, but beings of an intrinsically emotional nature nonetheless. And *that's* what I like to see, and indeed, would very much like to see more of in fanfilms. And by remarking upon it thusly, I am to no small extent referring to my own project as well. ;)

Emotion and the Jedi are not two separate, disparate concepts, never able to be joined. In fact, quite the contrary. And if a person doubted that, they need only look so far as the final duel between Obi-Wan and Maul in TPM; the lip-curling snarl of rage and hate that Obi-Wan gave....the way he charged out from behind the laser gates....*pouncing*, really, like a wild animal....crying out in sheerest fury as he attacked....*that* was but one of the many emotionally powerful moments, and thus that made it all that more apparent indeed that Jedi are not at all removed or distant from their emotions. In fact, they are wholly entwined with them, and *that* is what I want to see more of in fanfilms. Real feeling in there....I know it can be done. I've seen it in some, and very much want to see it in more. It's more than possible, it's more than likely, it's entirely natural....and the right thing. And I can't wait to see more of it. :)

Dawn.

"...The truth was I had been a filmmaker ever since the day I had closed my eyes and picture myself making movies. The rest was inevitable. So you don't want to be a filmmaker, you *are* a filmmaker." -- Robert Rodriguez --

14. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    (I know it's been a while, but what the heck, just bear with me) :D I actually had something of a major brainstorm today (whilst down at the beach, oddly enough, make of that what you will) - I was thinking that it might be neat, almost as an experiment, if you will, for us to try our hand at a vignette-style piece, if you will....something to play with, at least to start with - something short, but look at it this way, it would be an introduction to the whole scene for everyone, I would think. :)

What I was thinking of, then, is just that - a very short fanfilm vignette (it's the only word that keeps springing to mind) - maybe two or three minutes, something along those lines....no dialogue, no sound, at least that's what I'm thinking of at present; instead, it would be set entirely to music. I have a piece of score music from "Buffy" that I think would work *very* well for this particular idea....it's very frenetic, predatory and threatening....perfectly appropriate, in my purview, and for sure when I listen to it I can see the whole scene unfolding in my mind's eye - and surely that says something, right there. :)

Tell you what I'll do, then - I'll try to flesh it out a little more and get at least some of the major, essential points written down....not that I'm gonna forget any of it, mind you, it's all perfectly vivid and right there, front-and-centre, in my head :) -and then, perhaps....just perhaps?....we'll see what we can do about it, yes? I just thought that as such ventures went, a little experiment to help us get in there, help us get started with the whole process, so to speak....for sure it would be fun and very useful. Entertaining too, yeah, and did I mention all the fun? ;)

Oh, perhaps, you may be thinking that two or three minutes isn't long enough to really get a story or the true crux of the idea across....yet if done right - and may I humbly say, with what *I'm* thinking of, my idea :) - then I think it most definitely can be done. I'd really like to try! So, who's in? ;) ::makes encouraging, c'mon-you-know-you-want-to motions::

Dawn.

15. obi-wan_kurtnobi

obi-wan_kurtnobi Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2002
    This is an excellent idea and the lengnth of the film is not so important as the depth of your imagine. You can count on me for any supportb you may need a day shooting is never a waste especailly if at the end of the day you have a peice of film and more so if lightsabers are involved :D

kurt

16. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Thanks for all the encouragement and good vibes - hey, I'll take all that I can get in any case. :) And as I mentioned in that other thread, as of earlier tonight I've got the whole thing roughly blocked out, jotted down in at least the most basic form....and as it stands I think it's quite clear enough. Well, in my own head it certainly is, anyway; admittedly more may be required in order to translate that vision from my own head, down to everyone else....'cause it sure won't do much good if *I'm* the only one who sees it and knows what I want, what I've got in mind, after all. Unfortunately, that doesn't help so much, I know.... ;)

Of course, I knew from the outset that the length of it, or lack thereof, didn't matter so much as what was actually *in* it....the content, in other words. And if nothing else, I feel that it's a good thing in general to do to experiment....to kind of spread one's wings and take a little test flight first, straying at least a short ways from the nest, one bit at a time, until you're ready to take that big long flight clear across the Atlantic Ocean. :) And, yeah....it has lightsabers. Or one at least, anyway. Aside from the fact that's just how the idea *goes* and it's part-and-parcel of it....simply can't be otherwise....well, heck, I can only imagine as everyone's first thought is always "When do I get my own lightsaber?" - and, well, at least we're all on the same page there. And I wouldn't dream of denying *anyone*, myself included, that especial opportunity. ;) Tee hee....

You know, I truly do love the syngergistic relationship between writing, in, say, coming up with a certain scene - and the music that you may use as inspiration, to help you set the proper mood or some such thing. Sometimes, as it turns out, the scene-as-brainstormed-and-written influences or dictates the music you want to use therein....but other times, as in this case, it's the music itself that offers the main inspiration....the fuel to the fire, as it were. And don't you just *love* it when it all falls so marvellously into place like that? Whee! :)

Dawn.

17. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Update on the short vignette (and if there's a better word for it, a more accurate one, please tell me....otherwise I'll just keep being wrong and nobody wants that!) piece....I think I've got a good, solid idea of the music I want to use for it; aside from that "Buffy" score music I mentioned earlier, a relatively short piece in itself - I've come across thirty or forty seconds or so, a great cue, from the ESB expanded soundtrack (2 CD set). I have a couple of other things planned as well, and I'll bring the CDs and such with me on Saturday so you can all get a proper listen and feel for it....sound good? I hope so. :)

However, what I actually wanted to report was that as of last night, I got some more of my major fanfilm script hammered out....part of a scene that had really been troubling me, but the way I finally managed to work it, I *think* it's okay....about damn time, too. ;) Yeah, yeah, I know that a few lines or even part of a scene, some dialogue here and there, it may not seem like much at first....but over time these little efforts *do* add up. And I figure I'll take some comfort in that. :) Besides....I feel like I need to have some more stuff to show you guys, to prove that I'm still making actual progress....that only seems fair. :D

Dawn.

18. Master_Dao_Rin

Master_Dao_Rin Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2002
    Dawn, if you need any help in blocking your shots, or pointers on your script, or whatever, give me shout. I'm here to help if you want it! :)

19. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Pointers? Help? You betcha! Now that you've made the offer I am bound to call on it. It's good to know it's out there for me. :) Mostly, though, now I just hope it'll sound as good to anyone else as it does to *me*. Admittedly it all comes together so nice and smooth and oh-so-pretty-lookin' in my head....but, yeah, I'm aware this doesn't help anyone else. Which is where the struggle can come in....and, of course, why I await the pitch session, as it were, with a certain amount of healthy trepidation. Not that I think you'll all tear it to shreds, I know you're not the type....see, you're all good people ;) - but all the same, well....what can I say, I just want it all to come off well. :D

Dawn.

20. Sionnach_Dearg

Sionnach_Dearg Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2002
    I just got home and of course now I remember where that site is...

21. Sionnach_Dearg

Sionnach_Dearg Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2002
    Here's the link to the site I was looking for earlier...of course as soon as I got home I though of how to find it...they have some good pics, but really I've gotta get you over here to do some perusing of my photo albums...anyway, check out the photo gallary at http://www.rivtow.com/realestate/westbay/
    I'd make it a link if I knew how -_-;;

22. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Been thinking again this evening....yes, yes, I know that's a hazardous endeavour to say the least, but bear with me. :) I've been musing about another exercise that might be fun to try - at least, *I* sure think it would. It's sort of a Buffy/SW thing....if you watch "Buffy" and are at all into it, as I am, then I'll be able to explain it a lot better. I'm not trying to be overly mysterious or cryptic here....I'm simply saying that if you're at all familiar with "Buffy", then what I'm (conceivably) proposing will undoubtedly make much more sense. :) We hope....

Dawn.

P.S. By the way....I've been trying to get in touch with our very own Saber Caddy (Jer) of late, but it seems like he hasn't been by the boards in a while....he's still around, right? Everything's copasetic there? I'm just wondering....I was hoping to kind of tweak his brain, as it were - in a good way, I assure you :) - and get 'im involved, possibly and hopefully, with my vignette project....hey, you're all my group and, as such, you are a resource pool that, be warned, I *will* dip into as need be. Just so's you know. :) But, yeah....anyone had any word from Jer of late? Suggestions and suchlike are welcome....)

23. Rani Veko

Apr 22, 2000
    This topic is being continued in another thread, and can be found by clicking here.

I have requested this thread be locked (but not deleted), to avoid possible confusion, redundancy, and the need to (in the author's words) "scroll through a huge series of posts in order to get to the new stuff at the bottom".

- Rani

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.