NorthEast Fanforce Awards 2008 is cancelled

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by strawbary, Jun 13, 2007.

?

Fanforce Awards 2008 Location Planning thread- please read and vote

Poll closed Jul 28, 2007.
Buffalo without a con 1 vote(s) 6.7%
Attached to a con - Anywhere 1 vote(s) 6.7%
Syracuse without a con 4 vote(s) 26.7%
Doesnt Matter if its a con or not -anywhere is fine 9 vote(s) 60.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Jun 28, 2003
    star 5
    There ya go Strawbary... ;)

    ~Doc_Bev
  2. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

    Member Since:
    Mar 11, 2002
    star 5
    yeh I just got a PM from Dana with dates and the website link which is what I was really looking for :) it helps alot!

    :) thanks Nicky,
  3. MasterSifo-Dyas Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    Oct 1, 2002
    star 4
    Hey Everybody this is Billy from Docking Bay 516. I'll check this thread frequently so feel free to ask me general questions about I-Con from an attendee's perspective.
    We have a great time there every year and I hink you will too.
    --Billy
  4. AT-AT_Commander Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Jun 23, 2001
    star 4
    Cool, I cahn't wait to attend. even though I think I am the only one with a negtive Fanforce.
  5. MasterSifo-Dyas Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    Oct 1, 2002
    star 4
    What, Wait! Whats a negative fan force? --Billy
  6. RogueSquadronWingnut CR, The Rebellion, Rochester, NY

    Chapter Rep
    Member Since:
    Apr 7, 2002
    star 4
    A dead fan-force...it appears to be a growing plague...
  7. McLOVIN Jedi Knight

    Member Since:
    Aug 19, 2007
    star 1
    Does anyone have a link to I CON and is the date and location officially set for the NE FF Awards?

    -Beanie
  8. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Jun 28, 2003
    star 5
    I can answer the first part for you...
    http://www.iconsf.org/

    ~Doc_Bev
  9. TheBothanJedi Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    May 16, 2004
    star 2
    Hi This is Daniel, the new president of Docking bay 516. I-CON is asking us for some information about the awards. Since I haven't been to one I figgured that I'd ask here and see if anybody can help me out.

    I-CON is looking for a basic adgenda of what will be happening at the awards and how it will be run.

    Any information that you can give me will help me out a lot.

    --Daniel, President FF LI
  10. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

    Member Since:
    Mar 11, 2002
    star 5
    thats pretty funny since the program isnt written yet since we usually base it on fanfilm submissions, chapters participating etc. Howevr i can send u a rough draft of something general.
    R we even confirmed at all yet for the space? i cant really announce the awards yet till we have confirmation. Seems like they keep asking for more and more i sent dana info too already.
  11. TheBothanJedi Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    May 16, 2004
    star 2
    Well, Dana and I are collaberating on getting information about a general adgenda and a list of required epuipment so that I-CON knows exactly what will be happening, and exactly what size room and what kind of equipment will be needed. The info you sent Dana about the awards categories was helpful, but I think they were looking for more of a sequence of events. So far we have been making educated guesses, and have a proposal that is almost complete, but we were looking for your imput so that we can tell I-CON exactly what will be happening.

    Right now everything is still unofficial, but Billy and Abhay, our members who have been attending the I-CON planning meetings, tell me that the I-CON organizers are really interested in letting us hold the Awards at I-CON. The last thing we need to do to make it official is subit to them this adgenda and list of requirements, and then they should officially approve it since they have shown a great deal of interest so far.

    Also, we have told I-CON that you will be in charge of the awards, but it looks a little unprofessional of us to keep using only your first name or your screen name. It would be very helpful if you could PM me or Dana with your full name and a quick description of what you do for Fan Force, and what your role will be durring the awards.

    If you want you can PM me your email adress as well you I can send you a copy of the proposal for you to look over.

    Thanks for the help you have given us already.

    --Daniel - President Docking Bay 516, FF LI
  12. StarFromIHJ Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Apr 5, 2002
    star 4
    The awards are official. The proposal is just a formality. I'll PM you the rest ofb the info.
  13. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

    Member Since:
    Mar 11, 2002
    star 5
    i gave Dana the link to the last awards shows with the break down of the complete awards list and descriptions and gave her a general list of how the show works.The show changes every year based on venue/volunteers.
    Billy has my number and we went over the list via phone back in Nov. and gave him a general run down which i was told was to be communicated at the next meeting.

    send me what you have for a proposal and i can fix what needs to be done.
    Since you are in the dark so to speak , basically the shows run down, relies heavily on volunteers for preproduction and rely completely on volunteers and submissions which have not yet been turned in. We base the show on what we have by a certain deadline. So far we have one submission for a category thats it.

    We have no figures, no volunteers for the slideshow and no submissions for fanfilms this year. I have asked several times for volunteers and photo submissions with no response. I recieved one response from greencat offering to help send a few figures, thats it. So, perhaps the interest is gone. :( *sobs*

    Quick breakdown:
    My role in the production? I am the producer/director/coordinator/writer/Host/ ...... depending on who volunteers, my list may shorten or grow.

    Room size : i already went over this with Billy i thought we were set sorry :(

    Room needs to seat 100 ppl or more.
    need a projector, Screen, PA system with min 2 mics , lighting options if possible.

    Need the room for approx 1- 1/2 hrs. We will need to access that room a minimum of 30 min before the show (preferably an hr would be super) to go thru sound check, lighting/visual and performers checks.

    Need a table out front of room for guest registration

    Show summary - hand out 11 - 12 awards. 3 entertainment slots which may be musical/visual or both.

    anything else you need to know? Please have Billy call me. :)



    That will bring me to MY request now.
    LOL :)

    If this show is to happen at all i need a list of volunteers from DB516 and who is able to handle what duties. Any entertainment DB plans on doing etc. This way i know who i can rely on for certain duties so i can focus elsewhere.

    If anyone wants to see the awards happen this year we need fanfilm submissions/fanfic submissions/volunteers/
    figure donations
    and physical bodies there to help with lighting, sound, crowd control, guest registration etc.


    We actually do have a planning forum where all these positions and program breakdown is discussed. if u need access to this let me know.

    i spend hundreds of dollars on supplies out of my OWN pocket each year for this. With no monetary donations. We get a few figures but in the end i scramble spending a mint on ebay figures.
    I created this to be fun and say thank you to the region for their efforts.
    All i ask in return is a few volunteers to help with this process. :) anything u guys can do would be great!

    Please note;
    I dont mean to come off as rude or bossy but my husband and i spend 6 months ahead planning, making trophies, making visual productions and countless hours of volunteering to prepare ,not to mention spending our own finances. as of right now, it doesnt look like we have enough donations / volunteers on any scale to pull the production off.
    If you would like to help let me know otherwise we are pretty close to canceling at this point.

    I look forward to this every year as i know others do too. Lets all pull together and get this going.

    Its always a good time for everyone. Lets keep it going.
    Thanks in advance for your support. :)

    Strawbary

  14. TheBothanJedi Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    May 16, 2004
    star 2
    I saw that and used what I could from that to generate our proposal to I-CON. It was usefull, but it was not exactly what we needed to tell I-CON.

    He gave us a basic run down of what you told him, but some how something got lost in the communication. That's whay I decided to ask you myself. I felt that it would be better to double check the requirements with you rather than rely on what Billy remembered from a conversation from a few months ago.

    It's a little late for that now. We had to meet I-CON's deadline and we just submitted what we had. Apparently they didn't have a problem with what we submitted because they have given us the green light to have the awards at I-CON.

    That's kind of sad. I can offer at least two volunteers from DB516 to help you out, Dana and myself. I might be able to get one or two other members depending on when they are available durring the con since some of them have already have their own programs that they are running at I-CON. Photographs we can give you. We have several photographs of our own club. Dana will probably be able to talk to FF NYC and see if they can volunteer any poeple or provide any photos. Also, we might be able to get I-CON to lend us a few volunteers.

    I'll talk to the rest of the club and see if we can raise some movey, or find some figures for you. As for fan fiction or fan film submissions, I'm pretty sure Billy is working on a film to submit.

    Hopefully the interest is not gone. DB516 is really interested in bringing the North East FF awards to Long Island, and I-CON has told us that they would love to let us host it at the con.

    Well, we do have a member who works in radio who is willing to emcee the event. Dana and I are both dedicated to helping you out in any way we can. Is there anybody from your club who can help out as well? Or possibly people from the other NE clubs?

    You need to register who is attending the awards? I'm a little confused. I thought it was supposed to be open to anyone who wants to attend.


    Dana and I can help. As I mentioned there is a member interested in emceeing. Our parody "band" AeroSith is planing to do a quick act durring the awards and will be filming a short skit to show near the beginning of the program.

    I-CON will probably provide us with volunteers as well, and they should have the skills nessesary to help with lighting, sound, etc. Just let me know how many people you think you'll need so that I can request them from I-CON.

    That might help. Please give me access to that. Hopefully that will let us iron this out more
  15. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

    Member Since:
    Mar 11, 2002
    star 5
    Dan i recieved a Pm from Dana saying we have till MArch 25th to submit the proposal so why was it turned in now?

    Let me know

    and the requirements i listed in my previous post is what i need. Yes its open to everyone but we stil need our table :) I can explain moreon the phone
    LEt me know if thats a problem. I hope not though :(
    I gave billy permission to give u my number so hopefully we can chat soon
    ty for your efforts :)
    I know DB is very involved and excited but i do not except one chapter to support the whole awards which is why i hope we can get more involvement overall :) *fingers crossed*

    strawbary

    EDIT: Can u list the spcifics as far as date and general time frame for us so i can put an informal announcement together ? that would be great! :) ty
  16. StarFromIHJ Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Apr 5, 2002
    star 4
    They need to see the finished product by March 25th, not the proposal.

    Either myself or Dan will call you. I work in retail so my hours are random.

    The awards will be held that Saturday after 4 PM. Thats all we know so far. :)


    I even volunteer to bring a table if I-Con can't supply one.
  17. TheBothanJedi Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    May 16, 2004
    star 2
    That's a bit of a miscommunication. Like Dana said, they want to look at a more or less finished product by March 25th, but we had to hand a basic proposal into them last week. The proposal we handed in was based on the info you gave Dana about the types of awards that would be presented, as well as what Billy was able to remember about the requirements you told him.

    Either way it has been given a green light, so we are good to procede.

    I don't think it will be a problem. I was just a bit confused. We sold it to I-CON by telling them it would be open to any convention attendee who was interested in seeing the awards.

    Also, please let me know what time is best for me to call you. Hopefully we won't have much to talk about, but it would definatly be more usefull to speak over the phone than to keep contantly checking this message board.

    I hope so too. Do you have any volunteers from your own club? Has anybody from the other NE clubs volunteered yet?

    I-CON has given us a room, probably a lecture hall, to use on Saturday April 5th. We don't have a time yet, but it will either be late afternoon or early evening, probably something like 4 or 5 pm.

    I look foward to talking to you and trying to finalize everything.

    --Daniel, President Docking Bay 516 - FF LI
  18. Doc_Bev Jedi Grand Master

    Member Since:
    Jun 28, 2003
    star 5
    Maybe it would be useful to have a poll to see how many people are thinking of attending?
    I know that I was one of the 15 who initially voted in the poll at the start of this thread, but am unable to attend.

    ~Doc_Bev
  19. TheBothanJedi Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    May 16, 2004
    star 2
    Well, considering only 15 people voted on this poll in the first place, it might be a good idea if we find out somewhat soon if anybody from the NE clubs are interested in attending if it is held at I-CON.

    It would kinda suck if DB516 set this up and it diddn't happen, but it would be better than going through with it and having only one or two people show up.

    If nobody is interested in attending it at I-CON, then maybe it should be postponed and held somewhere else where more people are able to attend. But like I've already mentioned, I'd have to keep the I-CON organizers in the loop either way.

    --Daniel, President Docking Bay 516 - FF LI

    EDIT - I cannot spell tonight for some reason.
  20. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

    Member Since:
    Mar 11, 2002
    star 5
    you wont have 2 ppl show up. lol dont worry :) You would have a majority of the neighboring chaters i would imagine. However we havent heard rfrom them yet either. .....

    We go thru this every year and no matter what location u have it in, not everyone will be willing to travel. Comicon was a good location because of the big name celebs. However then we couldnt get chapters like LI, NY, Boston, etc to go.
    I like to change venues every year just so we can see some new faces.

    If we can get past the donations issue, we should be ok having the show. Remember ots open to the public this year as well and im sure we will have some stragglers from the con in general attend.

    Once you give me specifics so we can post an announcement we may be able to generate more interest. So PM me the date and time you are tenatively planning and the after party details and i can post something.

    :)
    TY
  21. TheBothanJedi Jedi Master

    Member Since:
    May 16, 2004
    star 2
    strawbary, I just PMed you with the details and my contact info. Please get back to me ASAP.

    Thanks.

    --Daniel, President Docking Bay 516 - FF LI
  22. StarFromIHJ Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Apr 5, 2002
    star 4
    I say we give out free food. You always get people to attend if you let them know there will be free food. :p LOL
  23. BobaChris12 NE RSA & Buffalo, NY CR

    Manager
    Member Since:
    Aug 30, 2002
    star 9
    It's free for them, but someone still has to pick up the cost.

    To date, I'm not sure anyone from Buffalo is travelling down. That's a chunk of people missing from last year (and it won't be rowdy either):p
  24. StarFromIHJ Force Ghost

    Member Since:
    Apr 5, 2002
    star 4
    I was just joking about the free food.

    Stoney Brook University wouldn't like us eating in their classroom.
  25. strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus

    Member Since:
    Mar 11, 2002
    star 5
    Yeh its not going to be like shows in previous years this is a clasroom setting or lecture hall type room and its production only. No food or beverage will be allowed.

    I was just informed all materials/content being shown there have to be submitted to them by March 17th.
    Personally i dont know if we can get the whole thing done by then i wish i knew about the deadline earlier for content shown i thought we were just submitting an outline.

    I just discussed this with my husband who helps me write the show and im not sure he is able to help with the deadline. We will have to play this one by ear i need more information from DB which i will be getting shortly, i will announce by friday if this is still something we can do.



Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.