main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary FanForce Book Club.

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by StacyD, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StacyD

StacyD Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2006
    So at the marathon Rae, Ryan and I got to conversating and we came across the notion of perhaps forming a book club or a reading circle. It might be fun, and it'd give us all a chance to get together and read a book (not necessarily a SW-themed novel) and then get together and chat about it. So in that vein I'd like to throw the idea out there and see what people think of it.

My plan would be to have us all just put our names into a hat, shuffle 'em around and the person who gets the Hat picks the book. We'd then give it about a month or two to read the book and then get together and talk about it at a Chapters or maybe somebody's place. It wouldn't be an Offical meeting per se, just a chance for folks to rap books and what they enjoyed about a given writer's work.

What d'you think? Good idea?

~DtE.

2. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    I do love to read and it's been years since I've been reading avidly. There was a time in my life when I read nothing but SF & Fantasy, but then my days of being an English student came along and Piers Anthony and Peter David made way for Chaucer and Bronte (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

When the LOTR movies first came out, DrHaggis and I decided we'd better join the ranks of people who had read the book, so we got to work. We realized at some point that the rest of the city had the same idea, and before long, we were talking literature at work functions & other gatherings. I expressed my delight at being able to rap about tropes and themes in public again. I would love to get back into that.

I'm tempted to give all kinds of excuses about not having time to read and bla bla bla, but I think this is a fabulous idea, and I'm going to go out on a limb and say, "I'm in!"

3. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    I also have an interest in this. Signen meesa up!

4. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    Hey - I can read!

:)

I'd love to be part of it.

Jen

5. Vadersmistress66

Vadersmistress66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2005
    What a great idea!! I'm always up for a good read, i'm in for sure!

6. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Count me in too this is a great idea.

7. StacyD

Feb 6, 2006
    Very cool to hear from you guys. Consider yourselves on board. :) We've still got room for a couple more folks, so don't be shy out there!

~DtE.

8. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    I too am in. Book me.

9. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I'm interested. But please [face_praying].... no Harlequin romances [face_sick] !!

10. darth-paul-

darth-paul- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2004
    Will the books have pictures?

Count me in. I like pictures.

Darth Paul

11. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Darth Paul! It's so good to hear from you:) Been too long since you've been out!

12. StacyD

Feb 6, 2006
    No, Harlequin romances will be verbotten under the benevolent dictatorship.

So that's. . .8, 9 folks down? I was thinking a baker's dozen might be good to start with. So we'll give it a little longer.

~DtE.

13. winbrant

winbrant Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    I'm in :)

Give me another reason to make time to read the books I buy

14. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    I am also in.....I love to read.[face_alien_1]

15. Talmerith

Talmerith Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 2, 2005
    I would be in for this. I am a pretty obsessive reader.

16. StacyD

Feb 6, 2006
    Room for one more. . . :)

~DtE.

17. SithatHeart

SithatHeart Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    Okay - that's me! But pick stuff I've already read okay? ;)

18. StacyD

Feb 6, 2006
    Cool! We'll cap it at 12 for right now; any more and it might be a bit unwieldy.

With the membership in hand, we'll have a little get-together at the next meeting (or sooner, depending on how fast we want to get this off the ground) and hash out the reading material for the first book. Thanks all! This is gonna rawk. :)

~DtE.

19. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    I just finished a novel this morning and am starting to look around for the next one - I wouldn't mind if the elder Dooks just picked the first novel - his perk for being the guy to spearhead this. Then we could get started reading...

But I'm ok either way.

Jen

20. StacyD

Feb 6, 2006
    *blink blinks* Who me?

~DtE.

21. Vadersmistress66

Vadersmistress66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2005
    Are we going to just be choosing novels? ( i know, no Harlequin, shudder) There's just so many different genres of books out there. What about classics, or non-fiction, am I just confusing this? [face_hypnotized] I'm all for Stacy choosing the first book as well.

22. StacyD

Feb 6, 2006
    Well, it's a Book Club, so anything goes really. I naturally assumed we'd be leaning more toward the Science Fiction/Fantasy/Horror genres, but anything goes really. Fiction, Non-Fiction, all sorts of stuff. If it's in print, we're interested. :)

I guess I'm elected then. When we get the meeting date ironed out I'll start woolgathering ideas for the first read. Gotta kick things off right. ;)

~DtE.

23. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    I'm with Magpie Jen.

Dooks the Elder, please use your infinite wisdom in all things SF & F, and choose a novel for us. There's no need to put it off until the next meeting (which I believe is TruceFest).

If you could choose something (I would prefer modern SF or F, seing as how this *is* the Fan Force board), and announce it, then we can get started.

Thanks!

~ R

24. StacyD

Feb 6, 2006
    Consider it done. I'll peruse my library (and the local bookstores) and see if I can't find something to fit the bill. When I do, I'll place it here for your perusal.

Infinite wisdom. . .me? Yeesh, have you got the wrong Dooks. . .[face_tired]

~DtE.

25. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    Yeah! I think it is great to stick with the SF-F theme as we are the fanforce! Go to it dooks the elder...HeHe[face_alien_1]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.