FanForce Book Club.

Discussion in 'Calgary, AB' started by StacyD, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dooks Jedi Master

star 4
    DO IT DOUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and if your looking for infinite wisdom I believe I'm the Dooks your looking for :).
  2. Magpie Jen Jedi Knight

star 2
    Non-fiction??!! Man, when I signed up for this gig I thought we were going to read _books_ - those things with _stories_ :). Seriously, I could try to bring the entire sum of all the non-fiction books I've finished up to 2. But I will echo the request that we focus on the realm of genre fiction. A graphic novel or two would be cool too.

Jen
  3. DrHaggis Jedi Knight

star 3
  4. Vadersmistress66 Jedi Knight

star 2
    So I can't make you all read Bill Clinton's memoir?

SF/F sounds fine to me...
  5. Vadersmistress66 Jedi Knight

star 2
  6. SithatHeart Jedi Knight

star 1
    I side with the Magpie! Other than for work, I think I've read 3 pieces of non-fiction: "On the Take", "Fastfood Nation" and "Nickle and Dimed". I think I got about a third of the way through "No Logo" before I pitched it across the room.

In my view, non-fiction really should just include cookbooks.

Cheers,
    S@H
  7. veritate Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hehehe... This is cute.

Night by Elie Wiesel is a piece of non-fiction that has stayed with me for years, and I highly recommend it... but one of my New Years' Resolutions this year was to read more modern fiction. The FF Book Club (Shh! Not supposed to talk about it!) will help me with that. I'm really excited.
  8. StacyD Jedi Knight

star 2
    Graphic novels. . .hoo boy. Don't get me started on that, it'd be like putting an alcholic in a still. ;) We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. For right now we'll start with a prose work of fiction and work our way up. :)

~DtE.
  9. LEXIAL Jedi Knight

star 2
    Sounds good to me.....[face_whistling]
  10. StacyD Jedi Knight

star 2
    The book is chosen. It will be revealed at the meeting on Monday. :)

~DtE.

11. SithatHeart Jedi Knight

star 1
    If it's "No Logo", I'm going to be very, very upset.

;)
  12. ShatirLavan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Make sure to let me know the book and when to read it by. I'll be back in CowTown for UofC year 3 around September 9.
  13. StacyD Jedi Knight

star 2
    Sounds good. I'll be announcing it at the meeting and afterwards here. :) And no, it's not No Logo, although that would be cool. ;)

~DtE.
  14. StacyD Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hello,

Seeing as how this is going to be a (hopefully) regular feature of the FanForce, could this post be made into a sticky please?

Thanks,

~DtE.
  15. StacyD Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hey gang,

For those who couldn't make the meeting today, the book we're reading will be Ray Bradbury's classic Farenheit 451. Deadline for the reading will be August 24th, and we'll schedule a get-together somewhere to discuss the book; what we liked, what we disliked, etc. After that we'll pass the hat around and the next person chosen will select our reading material. I've even got the hat! :)

~DtE.
  16. Magpie Jen Jedi Knight

star 2
    An excellent choice.

I believe I even own it... somewhere....
  17. DrHaggis Jedi Knight

star 3
    FYI, Fahrenheit 451 will be the Science Fiction Classic discussed at Con-version 22 on Sunday.

We should attend and discuss the book there too, even if we havent finished it yet.

18. veritate Jedi Knight

star 2
    Pardon me while I geek out for a moment. (All you English Majors out there will appreciate this...) :-B

On the drive home last night from the meeting, Kent suggested that perhaps the English Majors in the group could take the lead and give the group some direction on properly discussing literary issues. It was then that I realized that we are free to "critique" the book however we want - we're not bound by English professors assigning us essays to "apply a feminist/marxist/freudian critique..."

I think it would be fun to develop our *own* critiques: Jedi/Sith/Bounty Hunter, for example. Using the Jedi or Sith ideology, what are the strenghts/weaknesses of a story? What is the motivation of a character?

The story doesn't have to be ABOUT Jedi or Sith to ask ourselves how the dark side of the force might influence a character or a chain of events...

Anyway... Thank you for indulging me and my English geekiness. You may return to being the bunch of uber cool cats that you are. :cool:
  19. StacyD Jedi Knight

star 2
    The only rule is that there are no rules. You can interpret or review the book however you like; be it a simple verbal appraisal or a detailed, multi-page epic book report.

Mind you, I'm still smarting from remarks made about how literary people don't 'do' anything. . .hmph. [face_not_talking] ;)

~DtE.
  20. ShatirLavan Jedi Knight

star 3
    That's an AWESOME idea Rae! I gotta make a trip to Chapters I guess.
  21. DrHaggis Jedi Knight

star 3
    Reminder that the "Fahrenheit 451" discussion at Con-version is Sunday at 11:00am in the Willow Park Room.

22. Vadersmistress66 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I know alot of you discussed the book at the Con this past weekend, but i was wondering if we had a date we were going to meet? Or even just an idea(no i have not started it yet) Was going to start it this weekend...
  23. StacyD Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hey gang,

The rough deadline for Farenheit 451 is August 24th, as we proposed and launched the club the month prior. As to where we'll meet, I was thinking perhaps a Chapters or Indigo location in the area, or maybe just at a restaurant. Someplace sociable with some finger foods handy where we can discuss the book; what we liked, what didn't turn us on, what we think of it as a whole, etc.

If I had to make a suggestion as to location I'd suggest Denny's at 138 Crowfoot Way NW. Good food, it's open all hours, and it's a nice place to have a socialable sitdown. If that doesn't fly the Boston Pizza in the NorthEast up by Sunridge might make for a pleasant spot. Thoughts?

~DtE.

24. PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    He didn't just say BP's did he????
  25. echosevin Force Ghost

star 4
    I can't make the 24th due to prior committments.

Admittedly, I haven't been able to snag a copy of the book (only one Chapters in the city had a copy and when I got there to grab it, they couldn't find it), but if anyone is willing to lend me their copy for a few days, I can get 'er done....

Let me know how the discussion goes on Thursday.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.