Calgary FanForce Book Club.

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by StacyD, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithatHeart Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I can't go on Thursday either. :_| Things are booked for me pretty much until I get back from D*C. Have a great time -- I expect to see book reports done when I get back!
  2. Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling

star 2
    If I could meekly request a meeting post DragonCon...?
  3. StacyD Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Well, I don't see why we couldn't postpone it until after Dragoncon. . .what d'you think?

~DtE.

Ps. And I meant the -good- BP, not the evil one in the SW. ;)

4. LEXIAL Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I think after Dragon-con would be better since most of us in the reading group have been so busy getting ready for both cons it has been hard to squeeze reading in.
  5. StacyD Jedi Youngling

star 2
    All right then, two votes carries the motion. We'll say. . .September 14th. Gives us a week to recover from Dragoncon and get our reading done. Location still forthcoming. :)

~DtE.
  6. veritate Jedi Youngling

star 2
    *wince* Motions... votes... Ow.

Heh.

I'm glad we're postponing it, because I haven't been able to finish the book yet, either, and I still have lots to do for my D*C costume. A post-D*C book club meeting would be much better for me.

Also: Why isn't this a sticky anymore?!?!
  7. LEXIAL Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I agree this should still be a sticky..
  8. PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    It'll be a sticky again. Crazymike must have only put it up as a sticky for a month or so. When putting up a sticky you have to put an expiry date. The new user one is set for a few years. I'll get him to change this one to the same.
  9. StacyD Jedi Youngling

star 2
    All right, so we're agreed that the 14th will be the deadline to have F451 read (for those who haven't yet obtained a copy I reccomend Fair's Fair or the Dalhousie Station Chapters). We'll get together maybe on that coming Sunday and sit down and discuss it, maybe have some dinner and drinks. Cool?

~DtE.
  10. LEXIAL Jedi Youngling

star 2
    That sounds awsome to me![face_alien_1]
  11. Starkiller77 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    That Sunday is Jay's thing, isn't it?
  12. StacyD Jedi Youngling

star 2
    It could be. I was hoping for maybe the 16th or the 17th ideally.

~ElderDooks.

13. Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Either the 16th or 17th works well for me - both days/evening completely open. Though they probably won't be for long.

14. LEXIAL Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Although the 17th is Jay's big marathon?
  15. Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I'm going to stick my neck out here and request:

Saturday Sept 16: 3pm at Higher Ground in Kensington

Evenings get too full for me, I'd much rather have an afternoon for this.
    Higher Ground may be a little small, but you can get pretty good snacks/sandwiches, caffeinated beverages and it's licensed for a wide selection of other drinks. They are used to people sitting around and talking books. And they're central and close to the train.

Jen
  16. PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I'll update the web site if there are no objections
  17. Starkiller77 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I can't make Saturday til around 6, not that one person should hold things up. Where did Stacy go?
  18. LEXIAL Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I'm not sure where Stacy went.[face_shhh] Maybe MIA on a secret mission..HaHa!
    Seriously..I think sunday is out as everyone will be at Bobajays unless we want to do it there. Sat. is good for me at anytime for the moment..however times a ticking?? Can't keep the calendar clear till the last minute.
  19. echosevin Jedi Master

star 4
    Saturday is out for me - we're at a bbq at a friends place most of the afternoon/evening.
  20. StacyD Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Sorry about that all. . .got a little snafu'd by real life.

Hmm. . .I'd ideally like to have everyone at the Book Club who wants to go, but I don't want to seem like I'm shoehorning. . .how about we make it the night of our regular meeting? Everyone will be there, we could meet at the lovely restaurant/bar in the Best Western where Con-Versions was held and have a long, lovely chat about it. I'd like to have the meeting sooner rather than later so we can get cracking on the next book. But again, I'm loose and goosey. There's no penalty for lateness here. . .which is good because some of us still haven't read the book. . .*glares at his brother* ;)

~ElderDooks.
  21. Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Sure - I can be there after the meeting on the 25th.

Jen
  22. Starkiller77 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I can make it! I can't believe I'm in a book club!
  23. StacyD Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Okay, so this time for sure: Fan Force Book Club will meet on September 25th to discuss Farenheit 451. What we liked, what we didn't, what we feel the book's message is and how it applies to our contemporary world. You can bring your copy and we'll hang out, talk about it, and then enjoy some discussion, some food, and some fun. I'll see about making up some conversation-starters and maybe highlighting a few portions that I enjoyed and I encourage others to do the same. Then we'll pass around the hat and the next person up can choose our next tome. Savvy? :)

~ElderDooks.
  24. Vadersmistress66 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I'm confused...Aren't we meeting at the Lemon Garden on the 25th for the FF meeting?
  25. StacyD Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Well wherever we might be meeting, we'll discuss the book. I nominate the Boomtown Longue because. . .well, it's pretty awesome and has a lot of seating for all. Lemon Garden is cool, but a bit close quarters for a group of 15-20 bodies. But hey, whatever works.

~ElderDooks.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.