main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary FanForce Book Club.

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by StacyD, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vadersmistress66

Vadersmistress66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2005
    At least i'm not the only procrastinator here...

2. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    Just so we're clear - the 25th is the day of the FF meeting, but since it's been moved to BoomTown as well, that means we just show up for the meeting and then stick around for the book club afterwards.

3. StacyD

StacyD Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2006
    Yes indeed; we'll fill our bellies with good food and then discuss the book once the meeting's minutes and details have been taken care of. Much fun had by all. :)

~Stacy.

4. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    For everyones FYI..the meeting spot has been changed.

We are meeting at Boomtown on the 25th as it has more room for our expanding group. Same day the 25th at 7:00PM. As well as Stacy has said we are meeting afterwards for the book club to discuss our first book.[face_batting] Ryan has sent out a mass E-mail in regards to this or check our Sept. meeting message board discussion.

5. StacyD

Feb 6, 2006
    That's what I just said. . . [face_thinking]

6. LEXIAL

Nov 29, 2004
    Yeah...I was asked to put the meeting details on as there was some confusion from some of our members. Got some E-mails from them...thats all[face_peace]

7. StacyD

Feb 6, 2006
    What, and people can't talk to me? Am I intimidating? Do I growl or something? :mad:

Heh, it's cool. Just glad to finally get it settled. :)

Stacy

8. StacyD

Feb 6, 2006
    All right, everyone psyched for the Book Club meeting tomorrow? I know I am. :) Feel free to bring some questions and ideas for discussion that you'd like raised and a pen, as we'll be putting names in the hat to elect a new Chooser for our next title. Anyone who hasn't read F451, feel free to sit in and you'll get in on the ground floor for our next book when the chooser posts his or her decision. Woot!

~Stacy.

9. LEXIAL

Nov 29, 2004
    Hey everyone..not feeling well. I won't be able to come tonight.

10. StacyD

Feb 6, 2006
    Feel better soon Nicole. You were missed.

11. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Great discussion tonight. Although I felt more than a little stupid because I didn't pull as much from the book as others did, I learned a lot from their observations.

Can't wait to see what Magpie has in store for us :)

12. StacyD

Feb 6, 2006
    Aw, you did fine. You two just needed to rock the mike a little more.

And yes, it rocked immensely. I can't wait to be a participant now that my turn at the head of the table is over. Very good points made by all, I can't wait for Round Two.

~Stacy.

13. Starkiller77

Starkiller77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2005
    I had a great time at book club as well. The discussion was really cool and it was fun to get the highbrow's opinions of the little details that are lost on some cat that digs comics. I can't wait to see what the next pick is, and still can't believe I'm in a book club!

14. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    *drumroll*

The second book for FF Book Club is....

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

*taa daa!*

15. StacyD

Feb 6, 2006
    Nice! I'm all over it this payday.

~Stacy.

16. Darkleitner

Darkleitner Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2006
    Count me in too! Markus

17. Jeedai9

Jeedai9 Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2006
    I am posting on behalf of my GF, whom is interested in the Book Club. She will read it 48/72 hrs prior to discussion. I wish.

18. LEXIAL

Nov 29, 2004
    Sorry I missed the last book meet. Can't wait for the next one....sounds like a great book![face_skull] [face_pumpkin]

19. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    Just checking in -

Is anyone having trouble finding a copy?

When should we aim for the next meeting? - I know I read better with a deadline :) In November sometime?

Jen

20. Starkiller77

Starkiller77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2005
    I'm really liking the book so far. I'm almost a third through (get it?) and I'm a slow reader. Sometime in November is cool with me, and if I had the choice I'd have the book club meeting on a separate night from the regular meeting. Just my 2 cents.

21. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    I was going to pick it up at the UofC bookstore today, but then I found Darth Bane: Path of Destruction. [face_batting] I can't help but read the new SW books in what little recreational reading time I have left after I finish with Erving Goffman (meh), Herbert Marcuse (ugh), and Harry H. Hiller (the prof who writes all his own texts for his courses).

22. StacyD

Feb 6, 2006
    I think maybe sometime during the first week of November, perhaps even the second if folks need a little more time to read the book. I concur that the meeting should probably be a separate event from the regularly scheduled FanForce meeting so we all have a chance to socialize a bit then get down to business in a timely manner.

~StacyD.

23. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    I'm about 3/4 of the way through "Enders Game". Set a date for the book club meeting so I can get the needed kick-in-the-pants to finish it off.

24. StacyD

Feb 6, 2006
    Hrm. . .I'm thinking perhaps Sunday, December 3rd around 7:30pm? That might be suitable as a night to meet at Boomtown and discuss the book. Suggestions are welcome of course.

-Def.

25. DarthJaeger

DarthJaeger Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2005
    That sounds good to me. About half way myself, and realy digging it.

Justin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.