main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary FanForce Book Club.

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by StacyD, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShatirLavan

ShatirLavan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Great kid, don't get penis-y.

[image=http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h85/ShatirLavan/familyguyposter.jpg]

2. LordFuron

LordFuron Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2007
    5 days to Fury...

3. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Fury was out yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to grab it. Will try to pick it up tonight. Gonna try to finish it in time for the party/meeting/bookclub on the 8th. We've got three books to chat about!

4. TapeTrooper515

TapeTrooper515 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2007
    I got my copy yesterday, should be done within the week. Books never seem to last long enough for me.

5. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Wait 3 books? I still have to finish death star and now Fury before the party I may need to borrow someones copy as I'm not allowed to get any books due to christmas.

6. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    FURY was ferocious!! Have you seen the cover art for INVINCIBLE? The final book in the series?

Check it out here:
    http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/novel/news20071205.html

Bring on the SHOWDOWN!![face_devil] This is gonna be fantastic! Lot's to talk about Saturday :D

7. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    I'm on Chapter 21 of Fury. I'll be done by saturday, now that I'm done classes and have time to read. It's pretty rad. And yeah, Invincible's cover looks very promising.

8. winbrant

winbrant Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    Man...you guys are animals. =D=

I'm backlogged :_| and still have yet to crack open Republic Commando and Fury. Additionally in my pile I also have the Scholastic Rise and Fall of Darth Vader and the latest Last of the Jedi, not to mention that Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Galaxy...oh right, also the latest magazine (Wal*Mart honors US price...that'll save you a couple bucks). When I get past these I can resume the Young Jedi series (1 left) and then into the NJO stuff. Of the 122+ SW-related novels in the bookshelf I'm only up to 96...mind you, I didn't get into the novels until 1999 or so...8 years after they first started.

On the plus side...completed The Death Star mid-November. A good fast read and was nice to see how everything all fell in together and meshed with the OTC. Vader and Leia were a great addition for our characters to engage with as well as how the plans were "obtained."

Current read: The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. Had to as watching the Tudors stimulated my interest in historical fiction about this period...that and watching Jonathan Rhys Meyers, whom I first saw as enigmatic and compelling Steerpike in the BBC series Gormenghast (2000) based on the books by Mervyn Peake, a contemporary of Tolkien's. On a SW note Christopher Lee was cast as the oddly compelling "Mr. Flay"...highly recommended mini-series!

Definitely need a business trip soon as that's how I can keep up [face_laugh]

9. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    So I was thinking of organizing a book club meet near the end of the month. A few of us briefly talked about Fury at the FF Xmas party, and so I believe the next book on the list is Darth Bane: Rule of Two (which was released on Dec 26th).

Does the Thursday, Jan 31st work for everyone?

10. StacyD

StacyD Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 6, 2006
    Sounds good to me, though my esteemed brother needs to hurry up and read his copy I got for Christmas. I'll launch into Path of Destruction while that's goin' on.

And the Invincible cover. . .whaaaaa?:eek:

11. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Looks like I'm the only one who's finished reading Darth Bane: Rule of Two, so we'll postpone the book club meeting for a bit. I believe the next Legacy book is due out in February, so perhaps we'll include that in our discussion and make for a March meeting instead.

12. nobodyfresh

nobodyfresh Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2007
    I finished can I join your little club?

13. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Of course!!

14. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    We could talk about a few books and comics that have been released such as:

- Legacy: Fury
    - Rule of Two
    - Death Star
    - Republic Commando: True Colors
    - Jedi VS Sith: Essential Guide to the Force
    - Dark Times Vol.1: Path to Nowhere
    - Legacy comic series
    - KOTOR comics series

And if we make the book meeting for march then we can throw in the newest Legacy book as there is so much good EU out there right now. So lets talk both comics and books because STAR WARS IS THE GREATEST.

And yes you can join.

15. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Just a reminder:
    Legacy of the Force: Revelations comes out next Tuesday, Feb 26th!!

16. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    <BUMP!>

Just a reminder about tomorrow's release!!

17. TapeTrooper515

TapeTrooper515 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2007
    I know I don't need a reminder![face_dancing] Go Fett!!!

18. Dooks

Jul 5, 2005
    Just finished Fury and it was awesome going out to grab Revelations tomorrow as this Legacy of the Force series keeps kicking a$$.

19. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Finished Revelations last week, and I have to say - it's my LEAST favourite book of the series. Nothing that happened was a surprise, nor did the events move the story along much IMHO. But those of us who have read it can chat about it Saturday at Jaeger's bash....

20. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Thanks to a 'heads up' from ShatirLavan, it seems Invincible has been released earlier than it's May 13th date.

I picked up mine from Chapters today - can't wait to see how it ends!!! (although I thought it would be thicker....[face_thinking])

21. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Finished Invinciable last night.
    I am sorely disappointed. I won't say why, because some of you are still reading the series, but....man...I was hoping for more. Much, MUCH MORE :mad:

22. Obi_Wan_Cody

Obi_Wan_Cody Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 23, 2007
    I loved it. Very emotional ending. There were some things I wanted to happen and didn't but other then that I thought it was great. I hope the Falcon book is good...

23. ShatirLavan

Sep 19, 2005
    I just finished Invincible. I'm happy with how it turned out. There are still some loose ends here and there, but I suppose it couldn't have 20 endings like Lord of the Rings. Peter, I guess one of your predictions was almost correct, though it was off by...one second. I, for one, am ready for a few good stand alone novels now (excluding Order 66 of course). The Falcon book should be cool. I can't wait to see what else is on the list.

24. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Looks like the Millenium Falcon book, due out in December of this year, will take place TWO years after the events of LotF. I find that odd - what about inbetween??

:rolleyes:

25. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Finished up Jedi Twilight: Coruscant Nights a couple of days ago.

Better than I expected - great opening chapter! I won't look at Even Piell the same again - much respect for the diminutive Jedi Master!!
    Loved the Vader bits, and learning about the history of some of the Jedi. Nice tie-ins to the MedStar series and the stand-alone Windu novel (Shatterpoint). Am looking foward to the next one.

The only minor gripe has to do with the pacing of the story. They set up great cross-stories (like with Legacy) but seem to rush the ending too much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.