main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto *** FanForce Movie Night -- June 29th, A.I. ***

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by TragicLad, Jun 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Our next official movie night brings us to the opening of AI this Friday, June 29th.

Based on a Brian Aldiss story, Super-Toys Last All Summer Long , the film was a long standing project of Stanley Kubrick?s and intended to be his next film. However, Kubrick passed away in early ?99 and until the project found itself in Steven Spielberg?s capable hands, it appeared like it would be indefinitely shelved.

This will be Spielberg?s first sci-fi film since Jurassic Park, and afaik, his first futuristic sci-fi. With a strong cast, the work of Kubrick and Spielberg together, this should probably make for the strongest of the sci-fi films this year.

The Plan? is the same as always.

Where: Gather at the parking lot beside the York Cinemas, 101 Eglinton Avenue. This is about two or three blocks east of the Eglinton/Yonge subway station. As always, preference of theater to see the movie is the Eglinton or the York, but we take whatever is thrown our way.

When: 6 pm we begin to gather at the parking lot. 7 pm we head to one of the local establishments for a bite to eat. We then take in the 9 o?clock-ish show.

2. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm in.

I've been really looking forward to this film and hope there's a good turnout of people.

3. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I should be there. Not absolutly certain, but most likely I'll be able to make it.

4. Subject Zero

Subject Zero Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2000
    Looks like smart Sci-Fi... not much of that so I'm DEFINITELY looking forward to it.

SZ

5. TopGun2001

TopGun2001 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2001

I'm totally in... I've been waiting for this for awhile. It got a cautiously-good review on Ebert last night, exactly along the lines of how I think the movie will be. In any case, it's supposed to be long & interesting.

And, can we try to remember to get to Toys'R'Us *before* it closes this time? =}

~mikewood~

"Eh?" "AYE!!!"

6. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    I'd also be up for going to a TRU.
    So, we must do that.

7. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    [image=http://webhome.idirect.com/~shmi/front.gif]

I'm there. I would have loved to have the time to be an A.I. chaser and figure out what all these puzzles and webpages on the net mean.

8. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    *bump*

has this been posted on the main fanforce page?

9. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Ok and this time, let's keep it within a 3 mile radius of the York.

:)

10. Cristalia

Cristalia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2000
    I don't know if I'll be attending. For one, the price is somewhat steep, and my finances are somewhat low, and secondly, I wasn't too happy with what happened last time...

Cris~

11. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    Cristalia, I can fully assure you that this time the movie will not be a redux of Nadia. ;)

12. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    That's why everyone should have gone to see RAIDERS! ;)

That, and it was the best of the two choices.
    Foolish mortals.

13. TopGun2001

May 25, 2001
    That's why everyone should have gone to see DoMakeSayThink!!!

(what happened Last Time after I left Moe's??)

and incidentally, here're the A.I. times for Y&E... 7:20-7:50-10:40-11

~mike~

14. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    Uptown is showing A.I at 7:00 and 10:10.

7:00 is too early, if we were to go there.
    7:50 at silvercity is also early, if we are to go eat dinner go to Toysrus and/or the bookstore(s).

The running time of A.I is 143 minutes, so we probably wouldn't get out till close to 1:00, if we saw a 10:10 showing.

Thoughts?

I'd be up for the 10:10 at Uptown, but that may inconvience everyone having to get down to the Uptown.

15. TopGun2001

May 25, 2001

Whether it's a 10:10 showing at Silvercity or 10:10 showing at Uptown, either way it's not gonna end 'til 12:40-ish :}

And there are not Tim Horton's or playgrounds near the Uptown :_| :_| :_|

~mike~

16. Cristalia

May 15, 2000
    Tragic, don't be a disturber. You know what I mean. :(

Cris~

17. TopGun2001

May 25, 2001
    Oh yeah, Tracy (or anyone else for that matter), if you want to get caught-up with all the A.I.-related web-prerequisite stuff before seeing the movie, it all starts here:

http://www.bangaloreworldu-in.co.nz/salla/

18. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I think we're best to keep it local: the Y&E. I'm not sure what prices are at the Uptown now, but keep in mind that for anyone parked at Eglinton (many of us) and taking the TTC back and forth ($4 and change) it pretty much negates the cost difference between the two theaters. I know the Uptown is a better theater, hands down but it's silly to take time out of our day to TTC back and forth when the cost ends up being the same.

Next time, if we're going to see it at the Uptown we should plan in advance and all meet, and have dinner, there. If we're meeting and having dinner near Yonge and Eglinton, we should see the movie there.

19. TragicLad

Nov 29, 2000
    I have no particular love for the Silver Cities. I think you all know that. But rule of thumb for any major alterations or changes to The Plan(tm) is five days advance notice. Not everyone checks the forum daily and not everyone has net access.

The Yonge and Eglinton location is one of tradition - but we can always change that tradition if there is a consensus to do so.

But NOT the night before.
    NOT the day of.

20. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    Agreed.

Then which showing shall we see?

My vote would be for the 10:40 showing or the 7:50 (particular order)

Actually, I'd vote for the 10:40. More time to do stuff before the movie, and no need to feel really rushed.

What time does Toysrus close at?

21. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Chris, if you interested in going to a cheaper theatre could you please let us know several days in advance which theatre your interested in and where exactly those of us coming in from the hills can park? Keep in mind the drivers have to deal with traffic.

22. Cristalia

May 15, 2000
    I'm assuming you were talking to me... (Chris/Cris...it's pretty close, no?)

It's not that I want to go to a cheaper theatre, the fact is, I just don't have enough money to both see a movie every week or two and still live. That's all. When I acquire more money, I'll let you know... :)

Cris~

23. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    You think living is more important than seeing movies!?!

Bah, how wrong yo..................................................................................................................... .. . .....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.