main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanForce reformation

Discussion in 'FanForce Communications' started by RidingMyCarousel, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    One of the benefits of becoming a official FanForce chapter is to have the auto pruning turned off. Let me run this by you. My chapter forum, the Pittsburgh, PA forum has around 3800 posts, I think our biggest thread has like 400 hundred posts. Once that thread gets to be near the thread cap I will close it for archiving and delete it (although I don't see it reaching the thread cap for quite some time). My point is our forum probably takes up what 7, maybe 800 k in the database? Probably not even that much. We don't host our images on TFN's servers, we use our own. I also think if this is an issue of storage space all FanForce banner images should be hosted off site and if they do not have the option of hosting them elsewhere they get the normal Jedi Council banner images, I'm sure by doing that we could clear some space easily.

2. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Out of curiosity, how does the average techno-untrained user determine how much space an item takes up on a database so we can use those figures in discussion when it's convenient for us? (big :) )

I also think if this is an issue of storage space all FanForce banner images should be hosted off site

That's always a possibility, and I'd quite understand if that were made policy. On the other hand, banners are viewed all the time, whereas locked threads and inactive forums (FF chapter forums or otherwise) are not. If space needs to be conserved, why not start with deleting the dead wood?

I don't see anything that's been written here as criticism to the job the admins are doing, I simply see some well-meant, helpful suggestions. If those suggestions are already being discussed on the admin forums, that's great! If not, I'd rather see such suggestions be received graciously and given some small consideration than be dismissed completely, especially if it encourages others to continue offering the input they've been invited to offer.

Respectfully,

- Rani

3. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me, but I think that most official FanForce chapters' banners are hosted on other sites. Those chapters that do not have their own banners use the default JC banner.

I think that I can speak for most of the FF staff when I say that we do appreciate constructive input. Thanks for taking the time to post your suggestions and opinions. :)

4. Corran_Horn_

Corran_Horn_ Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2002
    "I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me, but I think that most official FanForce chapters' banners are hosted on other sites."

Yeah, at least our Fanforce's custom banners (Check it here is hosted in my personal webserver.

About the FanForce Activity forum, I think it has great potential. FanForces could share their experiences and the pics and stuff from their recent activities (I did so in a thread Here )

Maybe the City reps can marshall their forces to visit the FanForce activities forum every once in a while to share their experiences with the rest of the world.

Anyways, those are my two cents. . .

5. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    One thing that I've considered suggesting on is a newsletter of sorts for the midwest region that would let all the cities in the area know what's going on in the neighborhood. (I believe that one or two of the regions already do this). I think it would help interaction between the cities if each month there's a thread in the forums saying "Hey guys, guess what the folks two hours away are doing? Sounds like fun, why not join them!" Yes, I know that events should be/are announced on the main page and the fan force page, but it would still be cool to make sure the other cities know about near-by events.

On another note, while I like the idea of having an Activities forum, I think it might just be redundent in that it likely covers many topics raised in the City Rep Forum. Of course, not being a City Rep, I don't know exactly what goes on there, but that's beside the point 8-}.

~Heather~

6. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    while I like the idea of having an Activities forum, I think it might just be redundent in that it likely covers many topics raised in the City Rep Forum. Of course, not being a City Rep, I don't know exactly what goes on there, but that's beside the point

That is exactly the point of the activities forum. We want to get info to, and hear from all of the members, not just CR's.

There's plenty that goes on in the CR forum, but there are plenty of good members who have great ideas. We'd like to hear from them, too. :D

7. Rani Veko

Rani Veko Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Maybe the CR's can post a link to Activities in their chapters' forums, and give their membership a little nudge to get some discussion happening over there? The forum itself is a great idea, it just needs to see more activity.

Minacia_Brightstar, thank you for your encouraging words. :)

- Rani

8. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    It's something that I can easily do with a "sticky post". I am "teh suck" when it comes to doing the coding for the special link stuff, but I can do a sticky post. If you want me to do one in your city, LMK.

I'd be more than happy to. :D

9. Corran_Horn_

Corran_Horn_ Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2002
    Man, the activities forum is deader than Jango during ANH!

I posted our activities there a week ago and nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing has been posted as a reply and no new posts have been posted since.

Maybe some advertising on the City Reps part so that their members could swing by every once in a while can revive the forum.

I would really like it for other FanForces to post their activities and their pics and stories in the forum.

Anyways, the thread I posted a gazillion years (well, a week!) ago is HERE!

~[Force] You will all go see it. . .you will all go see it. [/force]~

10. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Just out of curiosity, but may we have an "official" update on what's going on?
    Has a permanent decision on FanForce Activities been reached yet?
    I've noticed some really inactive boards have been closed lately, so I won't be a nag about that. But, if it isn't too much to ask, which ones were closed..?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.