main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanForce Status?(FanForce Update)

Discussion in 'FanForce Communications' started by RidingMyCarousel, Aug 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    As I was adding every single board to my fave boards list, I noticed these boards are rather... barren.

http://boards.theforce.net/board.asp?brd=10393 - Regina Canada
    http://boards.theforce.net/board.asp?brd=10056 - Vancouver, WA USA
    http://boards.theforce.net/board.asp?brd=10070 - Columbus, GA USA
    http://boards.theforce.net/board.asp?brd=10395 - LaGrange, GA USA
    http://boards.theforce.net/board.asp?brd=10068 - Chatanooga, TN USA

I think one's in Canada, one's in the UK, and one or two are in Minacia' region, but I forget specifics...

¤Night

Edit: Helps to have more informative links. ;)

2. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    "As I was adding every single board to my fave boards list..."

Why in God's name would you do that? [face_laugh] ?[face_plain]

There's no formula for barren forums getting deleted...they were started because the interest was there, so you'll have to contact each RSA individually about each forum to find out what's going on. It's the RSA's job to keep on top of things both on and off the boards, so maybe those forums are truly dead, or maybe they're organizing things and just don't post that much. I don't see the point in worrying about such things if you don't live in the town, don't post in the region, or otherwise have no ties to the forum whatsoever.

3. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    Which one in the UK? :confused:

We post ok not as often as some of the US but we do post :p

Must remember we are alot smaller also :p

4. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    Edited in the city names for those links. Nothing from the UK unless one of the above is a mistake.

5. LadyVader81

LadyVader81 Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 2, 2001
    **looks at list**

**raises eyebrow**
    Now I know I didn't turn up to about 95% of my geography lessons but they don't even slithly look like the UK :p ;)

6. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    So I was wrong, so shoot me :D

In any event, I was just doing that as an informative thing, I really don't care what happens to them.

And Seb, gimme a bit, i'll post pics of the result :D

Every single Board added to a WUL 56K-ers Beware, five pictures at 1280 x 1024 = about 1.5 meg total

¤Night

7. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    Well, I don't know how informative it is really, since the RSAs of those regions know what's going on with their forums and everyone else has more important things to worry about. ...eh..not trying to sound snide, just don't know how to re-word that to better reflect my meaning.

:eek: I'm on a DSL and that pic still took longer than I wanted to download. lol If you aren't the king of all slackers for that favorites menu, then you're definately in the royal family. :p

8. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    I gotcha, don't worry :)

And as for that, What can I say, I was really bored. That's my sock Night as well, no way I'd do that with this name.

I used to have a pretty long list back when I hung out in all the random FanForce chapters, But no longer :(

:)

¤Night

9. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    I used to have a ton in my favorites as well, but decided to revert back and just use the Regional Category lists which were a lot easier.

10. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Since Night brought up two of the more "dead" forums in my region, I'd thought I'd mention my procedure for deciding which forums to delete.

As many of you who are familiar with FanForce know, it can take a great deal of time and effort to get cities organized into chapters. Many city forums see little to no activity for a long time and then, suddenly, people begin posting and they get themselves organized.

I feel that if I delete a forum in an area that might have a large enough fan base to become organized, I might nip something great in the bud. Sure, folks can request to have a city forum re-created, but it is easier for people to start something when the forum is already there.

I have recently decided that I will give forums two months to see some activity before issuing a warning that the forum will be deleted. After I issue the warning, the forum will have two more weeks to see some activity before it gets the axe.

For example, if a city forum last saw activity on July 1st of this year, I would issue a forum deletion warning around Sept. 1st. At that time, I will explain that the people who visit that forum have two weeks to start posting there before I delete the forum. If folks respond, the forum gets a reprieve. If there is no response, it goes bye-bye within two weeks.

If anyone has any questions about this, especially those people who are in the Southeast region, please let me know. :)

11. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Without sounding snide, what constitutes 'activity'?

I mean if we're going to count people from nearby grou[s inviting whoever reads it from the area to join their group or the almost inevitable 'wow no one is here' post then you'r enot going to have many threads that fit.

12. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    I've added pages on the FanForce.net main site for the following regions:

USA - MidSouth

Latin America

Asia & Africa

I still need to go back on each page and edit the side navigation bars so that you have links to all the regions. The "News and Events" link won't work on the new regions yet, since Anthony and I are working on the coding for the news tool on that. However, if anyone is interested, we could use some custom graphics for those new boards, so that we're not stuck using the default "global" graphics. Also, the "Northwest" and "South" pages are renamed "Pacific" and "Southeast", respectively, although they will need new graphics to reflect this change.

13. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    Hama - Once I get my City Rep musical chairs sorted out and update some of their contact information I'll be sending you the updated info for the Midwest page.

14. Corran_Horn_

Corran_Horn_ Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2002
    What kind of thing do you need for the LA section besides spiffy graphics?

15. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    faraday, I consider activity to be any conversational posts exchanged between two or more people in a forum. City forums are not going to see as much activity as the JC Community or other forums on the JC, due to their limited scope and purpose. As long as more than one local person shows an interest in posting in a city forum, I leave it up and running.

I just recently imposed the "two months" rule I described above, so I had to start somewhere. In order to track activity, I decided to start with the last post made in the forums, whether those posts were made by "local" posters or not. It was just the easiest way to start tracking forum activity.

Whenever a new post is made in one of the "dead" city forums in my region, I check to see if the post was made by a local poster, or by someone from another city. Also, one poster posting "is anyone there" type messages will not be enough activity to keep a forum from being considered for deletion

When issuing the two-week warning, I state that local people must begin posting in the forum in order to save it. I'm not going to give a forum a reprieve if someone from another city posts there to advertise his or her group's next event, if there has been no other activity from local folks.

16. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    What kind of thing do you need for the LA section besides spiffy graphics?

That's pretty much all I need, unless a new chapter becomes official or there is a change of command somewhere in the region.

17. Corran_Horn_

Corran_Horn_ Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2002
    Cool, thanks Hama.

I'll get the photoshop armed troops in gear then.

18. MegaJediRafa

MegaJediRafa RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 1, 2002
    Thanks for all your help guys/gals.

19. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Thank you all for the nice updates :)
    I'm sorry if I sounded a bit rude when I first asked about this.

Just curious, though, will there be more updates on a regular basis? Sorry if that was stated earlier, I may have skipped over it :(

20. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    It was mentioned somewhere (maybe in the OFH) about doing an update every month or every two weeks don't recall off hand what was decided.

Edit:
    An fyi if you care about such things...both Saginaw, MI & Albany, NY have been deleted.

21. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Alrighty. Thanks :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.